Oh Spain, why do you torment me so?

Did you find having 5 cities to be easier? I've tried it with 2 and 3 cities and both times, felt it could've been faster. However, I've always had a challenge playing more than 4 cities as Tradition.

It all depends on how good the location of that 5th city is and how soon you get it up.

I usually only build the 5th city if the spot is ideal and i have enough cash to rush buy things like workshop,,granary,watermill,and to buy lux tiles.

some civs can manage this more easily than others.spain if it finds enough wonders,India is great for going wide with tradition

With tradition, you don't need that much cities. With 2 or 3 cities, getting along with everyone and having good internal trade routes while importing luxuries at the same time could be good strategy.

Did you find having 5 cities to be easier? I've tried it with 2 and 3 cities and both times, felt it could've been faster. However, I've always had a challenge playing more than 4 cities as Tradition.
As Phukit has already said it depends on how good the 5th location is. IMO my Toledo location isn't but I though heyho. It should be said I had terrible luck with WLKD, some of those whales demands are from the start and no one has whales. But I did a 3 city NC expanding to 5. I achieved t89 Education, t127 Secularism, and t180 Plastics. I'm very satisfied with the Plastics->SS launch as it has been my fastest(50 turns). I could've bought a Merchant for 2000 gold and built PT for another Scientist(or faith bought it).

Spoiler :
GL is possible here as the mad barb spawns hurt the AI more than you do. 9/10 it will not be able to deal with it.

If you want to play as Spain and have a 'good' NW near to you, then use Really Advanced Setup.

When playing as Spain I wait to settle until I've found a natural wonder, preferably one with food. (Lake Victoria, Uluru, etc)
That bonus is so huge that it's worth delaying your capital.
No or no good natural wonder I simply start a new game.

I recently had a start with Spain and got paid 100 gold off a natural wonder. I wasn't complaining and would've continued with it but I had to go. I also have had better starts paying off 500 gold.

Can you give out the save in PM, I'd like to see how well I can do :)

It's in my first post in this thread. But here it is again :)

Spoiler :
GL is possible here as the mad barb spawns hurt the AI more than you do. 9/10 it will not be able to deal with it.

I started a few times going for that. However, it's even more of a mistake on this map than it normally is IMO. On my road to the 227 SV, I had a number of starts where I made the mistake of trying to have the fastest science game possible. Which was totally unnecessary since Spanish GBR already starts you with triple science. Once I stopped trying to slam science with my capital is when I had good starting infrastructure that leads to quick victory. Nearby barb camp led to me buying an early Archer, but building one more made all the difference in my games. The only early wonder I try for consistently on this map is Hanging Gardens. Since the capital isn't river and the start lends itself to science/cultural victory.

Problem with Spain is, that the Nat. Wonder bonus makes them too strong. If you find an early wonder, you should have set the game to a higher difficult level, or it is going to become a boring game.

..The only early wonder I try for consistently on this map is Hanging Gardens. Since the capital isn't river and the start lends itself to science/cultural victory.
My preference is ToA, but I'm sure ToA and HG is possible.
Problem with Spain is, that the Nat. Wonder bonus makes them too strong. If you find an early wonder, you should have set the game to a higher difficult level, or it is going to become a boring game.
No it won't as you can try different things. After watching Dushku's wonderless CV I had my eyes opened to the gold generation of Theocracy. In this "accidental" CV you can see my gold and faith generation are excellent for 4 cities. Although I managed to achieve an almost perpetual WLTKD in all cities which helped no end

Attachments

• t253CV.jpg
    t253CV.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 127
Nw for Spain could be done without but if a natural wonder is nearby and you take that gold is great particularly when you could spend the gold on city state alliances and diplomacy.

Here, compare benchmarks. Dushku, I'm sure you did much better

Attachments

• spains.jpg
    spains.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 111
Sorry, I can't see what's being compared.

I like the second to last pic though. Made me want to replay the map to try CV and domV just for kicks. I do think I'll be putting together a video of how I managed the SV. Not a full play by play, but edited to show the broad strokes of a tight SV. Trying to decide if I want to use your suggestion of ToA or not. When I built HG, it was more for the riverless Garden than the food.

That does make sense that you get a free garden from thg and you don't even need a river. Other buildings give out free building also so you have to do some good micromanaging when you're building these free buildings because you could get the building free and waste the production that you wasted on building it. It happens so a little micromanaging our doesn't hurt.

...Trying to decide if I want to use your suggestion of ToA or not. When I built HG, it was more for the riverless Garden than the food.
You can get both on this map. I got both in my last playthrough and had the strongest start I've ever had(except the Valentines Day Deity challenge). t88 Education(even with the detour to Mathematics before NC), t124 Secularism, t143 Scientific Theory, t150 Ideology. It fell apart after that as my perpetual WLTKD went south as no one had whales or truffles until t230.

Sorry, I can't see what's being compared.

I like the second to last pic though. Made me want to replay the map to try CV and domV just for kicks. I do think I'll be putting together a video of how I managed the SV. Not a full play by play, but edited to show the broad strokes of a tight SV. Trying to decide if I want to use your suggestion of ToA or not. When I built HG, it was more for the riverless Garden than the food.

If you know some of your science benchmarks, you can compare and estimate the difference, I guess

Finished on turn 233. Not bad but I think I can do better :)

Attachments

• spanish.jpg
    spanish.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 84
Very nice! A little tip for you though: You didn't have to settle a city just to get some Aluminum. You could always buy/build a Recycling Center to get some Aluminum. Better still is you can pay to improve a tile for a city state. IIRC, it cost me just 200 gold to improve Aluminum for a city state that had a plot with 8 yield on it. Since they were my ally, I got 8 Aluminum that very turn.

I don't know what difficulty level you play on, but my game gave me two really good Spain starts recently (Emperor difficulty). Here's a screencap of the most recent one and it's initial autosave
Spoiler :
Before that, I had the map that was the focus of my Spanish Mesa Gibraltar series.
initial autosave
first playthrough of that map
refined playthrough

Wow. Working a pair of tiles producing 8 food, 4 production, 4 gold, 8 science, and 16 faith (assuming you took OWN) between them that early in the game looks like a Spain-player's dream come true. Very nice find.

Top Bottom