Speed up production

tide1

Chieftain
Can you speed up production like in Civ III ? Catharine decided to attack and I need to get some units pumped out fast. :rolleyes: Just started playing Civ IV and I can't find any mention of this handy option.
Thanks
Gary

You need to be using either the Slavery Civic or Universal Sufferage. Slavery lets you get so many shields per population destroyed. I think it's 30 shields per pop on normal.

Universal Sufferage(US) lets you rush the unit/building/wonder with whatever gold you happen to have on hand.

They both do the same thing really, simply US is a government civic and slavery is the labor. In the end, they both allow you to rush units/buildings/wonders - but not ideas. Manhatten project, etc are intellectual based so you can't rush them I believe.

I'm in the Rennisance period I have Government , Legal , Labor , Economy , Religion , Hereditary , Nation Hood , Serfdom , Mercantilism , Pacifism civics

Gary

Thanks. I see it's more comlicated then in the old game. if you had the cash to throw around then you stop an attacker quick.

Gary

tide1 said:
Thanks. I see it's more comlicated then in the old game. if you had the cash to throw around then you stop an attacker quick.

Gary

Nope. When you listed your civics, you listed nationhood. If memory serves me right, that civic is the one that allows you to draft units from your cities with a max of 3 drafted per turn I believe. I maybe wrong though, that is one civic I have actually never used at all. So you don't need money in your case to deal with the enemy comming towards you, as was mentioned earlier, you can simply draft afew units and go from there. As with slavery, nationhood costs you a pop point I think, but unlike slavery, with nationhood I don't think the units get any experience or promotions.

And even if you didn't have Nationhood, if you were using Slavery, at the cost of afew population you could turn out afew extra defence units or offence if you so deem best. Money is only good if your universal sufferage, and well, you normally wont have the cash to start mass buying unless your running low sliders, have very good city placement, you've done quite afew merchant runs or your late in the game when that X% not going into your science or culture is a good amount.

Thanks Gyth. I did draft three units per in several cities around the threatened area so Nationhood must be doing that. I am keeping science down at 30% and I do build alot of towns and anything else that'll generate money like a good capitalist. :)

Gary

Top Bottom