A Complete Guide to Achievements (Civ V)

I started a game with the express purpose of finishing this achievement... phew, this was great stuff. And a refreshing change of pace for a higher diff game where Hiawatha doesn't runaway at all despite city-spamming :lol:

Spoiler :

I sort of cheated this one, an ally CS had built an ironclad the AI player with coast wasn't going to unless I pulled back and waited till they caught up tech wise.
So I did a save, declared war on my ally, sunk the ironclad, after shooting it up with my frigates, got the achievement and reloaded.

I sort of cheated this one, an ally CS had built an ironclad the AI player with coast wasn't going to unless I pulled back and waited till they caught up tech wise.
So I did a save, declared war on my ally, sunk the ironclad, after shooting it up with my frigates, got the achievement and reloaded.

That's like how I got My Little Pony; I saved the game on turn 0 before choosing any techs; and then just belined to Horseback Riding; I then reloaded at turn 0 to choose good techs.

A couple of the special achievements are tied to the UU rather than the civ.
I got All Roads Lead to Rome using a CS gifted Legion and I wasn't playing Rome.
Got Where's The Biathlon? same way using a CS gifted NSI and I've yet to play Denmark.

However I tried using a gifted Finnish LC (Hakkasometghing) with a GG but nothing so that one must be Civ linked. Yet to play Sweden.
cheers
JD

The "Barbarian Warlord" achievement can also be earned by playing as Manchuria in the Samurai invasion scenario. In fact, this is a very easy way to do it.

The "Barbarian Warlord" achievement can also be earned by playing as Manchuria in the Samurai invasion scenario. In fact, this is a very easy way to do it.

That's interesting...

Agreed. It must just use Bismark's UA, and the achievement is coded after that.

A small bonus considering Manchuria seems to be the most difficult. I had to restart the game twice on Emperor and then dropping down to King, because China's Lswords/cannon is so unfair against pikes and banner cavalry. The cavalry is nice since it acts like Keshiks, but enemy knights will one-shot them.

Korea was surprisingly the easiest in that scenario. Even on Deity, setting up a row of H'wcha just behind Seoul prevents Japanese samurai or muskets from ever breaking through, no matter the number. From there you can rack up points with turtle ship kills (all that is needed for the win), or even take back your cities once they are promoted enough.

I looked up what units I had left for the "train all units" achievement. Turns out I have three left: camel archer, minuteman, and zero. My Arabia games must have been with mods, and I never play America. The zero is self-explanatory.

I've had same played and won a game as Siam before I knew about the debug file.
To my surprise I had zero Elephants which meant all mine on that game were upgrades.
John

Korea was surprisingly the easiest in that scenario. Even on Deity, setting up a row of H'wcha just behind Seoul prevents Japanese samurai or muskets from ever breaking through, no matter the number.

That's why there's an achievement for LOSING as Korea in that scenario. ;)

Someone even reported deleting his units as Korea and still winning via the team alliance with China.

Yeah, I've heard that before playing the scenario. China is supposedly so strong it is difficult to actually lose. I didn't find it hard--China in both the winning and losing game just sort of turtled and didn't help out. I gave Seoul to Japan and just kept feeding Japan free unit kills every time I got free spawns. The score was something ridiculous like 18,000 to 9,000.

Maybe difficulty makes a difference? On Deity it seemed like Japan was getting reinforcements every 5 turns or so, and I don't remember them being that often when I did the scenario at Prince.

I think that a relatively easy way to get the 'Kamikaze Attack' achievement is by using a melee unit to take over cities first, preferably with an unit that is behind when it comes to tech. Once the melee unit enters the city is gets damaged severely, but it will not die. If you can capture 2 or 3 cities with this unit, it will almost certainly be left with just 1 HP. Then upgrade the unit if possible, or take on another damaged unit to ensure the kill.

I still have to get this achievement, but I reckon it will be easiest with a Lancer: they are quick, fragile and can stay out of the city's reach until it has to be captured. Plus, it can eventually upgrade to a Helicopter Gunship, which will be very good to try and take an enemy unit down.

I will try to test this as soon as I can, unless someone else can do this before me?

Yeah, I've heard that before playing the scenario. China is supposedly so strong it is difficult to actually lose. I didn't find it hard--China in both the winning and losing game just sort of turtled and didn't help out. I gave Seoul to Japan and just kept feeding Japan free unit kills every time I got free spawns. The score was something ridiculous like 18,000 to 9,000.

Maybe difficulty makes a difference? On Deity it seemed like Japan was getting reinforcements every 5 turns or so, and I don't remember them being that often when I did the scenario at Prince.

None really; Japan's main army comes from reinforcements (not level dependent) instead of manually built units (which is).

The only sure way to lose as Korea even on Deity is to click the "resign" button early.

The We are Family achievement appears to be bugged. I tried to get it earlier this week and converted every city on the entire map (including every CS) and the achievement still did not pop. I won the game as a domination.

The We are Family achievement appears to be bugged. I tried to get it earlier this week and converted every city on the entire map (including every CS) and the achievement still did not pop. I won the game as a domination.

Even after yesterday's patch?
It's been known to be broken since the patch around December.

That's why it's listed in the broken achievement section...

I think that a relatively easy way to get the 'Kamikaze Attack' achievement is by using a melee unit to take over cities first, preferably with an unit that is behind when it comes to tech. Once the melee unit enters the city is gets damaged severely, but it will not die. If you can capture 2 or 3 cities with this unit, it will almost certainly be left with just 1 HP. Then upgrade the unit if possible, or take on another damaged unit to ensure the kill.

I still have to get this achievement, but I reckon it will be easiest with a Lancer: they are quick, fragile and can stay out of the city's reach until it has to be captured. Plus, it can eventually upgrade to a Helicopter Gunship, which will be very good to try and take an enemy unit down.

I will try to test this as soon as I can, unless someone else can do this before me?

Doesn't sound that reliable...but it might work. I think the easiest thing would be to turn off Gods and Kings and earn it that way.

Doesn't sound that reliable...but it might work. I think the easiest thing would be to turn off Gods and Kings and earn it that way.

I got this achievement playing my first game as Japan the other day without even trying.

I don't think it's as hard as you think it is.

I got this achievement playing my first game as Japan the other day without even trying.

I don't think it's as hard as you think it is.

Did you get it with GnK?
I've put off playing Japan and Turks because I am not that keen to go back to vanilla to get the achievements.
jd

Top Bottom