Civ4 PitBoss Available

I suspect it'll run in WINE with a halfway decent PC - the requirements for the Pitboss server are apparently very low since there's nothing being rendered, just a few calculations.

Are you supposed to be able to run pitboss and civ 4 on the same PC?

I've tried a few times, each time I setup pitboss, connected to the game, select my civ and then pitboss.exe crashes.

_speedy_ said:
Are you supposed to be able to run pitboss and civ 4 on the same PC?

I've tried a few times, each time I setup pitboss, connected to the game, select my civ and then pitboss.exe crashes.

I have run it fine on my pc running pitboss and civ 4. Note are you using direct connect and if so try using 127.0.0.1 failing that what error is being displayed?

Tals

BeefontheBone said:
I suspect it'll run in WINE with a halfway decent PC - the requirements for the Pitboss server are apparently very low since there's nothing being rendered, just a few calculations.

It all depends on what installation requirements the install routine for civ 4 checks, i'll be testing tonight on my very low spec pc - but that is windows 98 not wine.

Tals

Great_Scott said:
As you might be aware, I'm setting up the PBEM Enhanced game for Civ4. I was counting on PTBS to be released... so this is a godsend. A few questions in regards to this... as I'm at work, and I won't be home or free to jump on the computer until tomorrow morning...

1. With PBEM, if there are 4 players, all human... do the players need to play in order?

2. I saw 'allow x hours for turn'... so the game will rollover to the next turn automatically after x hours... what if one doesn't log in... does AI play your turn?

3. Is there a limit on the amount of hours you can allow for a turn?

2. If it's anything like the Dominions 2 (indie strat game) server, then Pitboss would end the turn regardless of whether or not some players completed their turns. This makes the most sense and is a much-needed feature to keep games moving along.

tals said:
Great news - i'm hoping to run this on a small pc I have that acts as a server. Just depends how easy it proves to install.

If any Firaxians are listening - is their a 'minimal' install which just copies relevant files (for a pure pitboss server) to install or will it always need this full install i.e full civ iv install + pitboss exe.

Tals

Yeah, I hope we can run this thing on a separate machine from the one where we have Civ4 installed, ie dedicated gaming server. :)

Can i launch this server in hotseat too ? I just need some way to play scenarios in hotseat... :rolleyes:

This seems to be just like a regular MP game, except that the host doesn't need to have a big memory-eating copy of Civ4 running all day and the turn limits are really long. And quitting doesn't cause you to retire. Oh and you can unilaterally kick people from the Pitboss admin panel :)

I really hope they come out with a Linux version of this. I don't trust Windows to stay up for weeks :)

Will there be a list of IPs that we can connect to, soon, to play against others online?

Also one big request for an enhancement - player specified ports. This and the ability to run more than one instance on a machine would allow Multiple hosting on a PC/Server at the moment someone hosting pitboss will be restricted to one server per network which is a shame.

Tals

Here is my problem:

I set up a PitBoss game following the screenshots provided in the first post. When I get to the end screen where do I go from there? Save? Exit?

I have not been able to get my game to show up in the internet lobby either. I set the game up as "inernet" instead of "direct IP", so I am not sure what the problem is.

They need to provide a slightly more comprehensive guide to setting up your game to show in the MP lobby.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well if you can get Civ4 to run on linux with a emulator then pitboss will too, the box says Civ4 requires atleast Win2K(SP1) or higher and it needs dx9c installed.

CS

I am very excited for this. I will test it here in a couple of hours. We should all remember though that is a beta, so don't put it over fire if it doesn't work perfectly yet. Would be nice if you didn't have to install the whole game to get it to work.

Does any one have the mim. reqerments for the server? I know some people have said they are low but is there a readme or any thing with it?

cmonster

I realize this is only the beta version, but is this all the pitboss was inteded for? I thought I remembered hearing that it would keep track of stats and facilitate better real time games and be kinda its own ladder a la Battle.net??

SirT said:
I realize this is only the beta version, but is this all the pitboss was inteded for? I thought I remembered hearing that it would keep track of stats and facilitate better real time games and be kinda its own ladder a la Battle.net??

The built-in ladder idea was a separate idea that never matured. Pitboss was intended to supliment PBEM games in a more real time and flexable fashion.

CS

CanuckSoldier said:
The built-in ladder idea was a separate idea that never matured. Pitboss was intended to supliment PBEM games in a more real time and flexable fashion.

CS
I agree with you soldier. Pitboss allows a large group of players to play the game on on off, like play by email but much easier.

Top Bottom