The Iliad

I have just emailed CivStats passwords to everyone. :faint:

If anyone has not received one please PM or email me.

Thanks,

Bolkonsky. ;)

Completed first turn no problem. Thanks for letting me join and for hosting. As discussed in the game ... and confirmed ... there are problems with civstats email notification. I also receive a database error changing my preferences. I recommend you use the in game email notification until civstats is reliable. You may get a lot of people miss their turns.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=178807&page=14 (civstats link with issues with email)

I recommend you use the in game email notification until civstats is reliable. You may get a lot of people miss their turns.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this issue. My experience of notification of turns for Pitboss games so far has been entirely with CivStats and I was hoping that thier email service would be up and running again by this weekend. :undecide:

I seem to recollect that I read somewhere that there were problems with in-game email notification but perhaps I am mistaken or more likely they got sorted out. :confused:

I have already set up a smtp account on the server and to implement in-game email notification I would have to save and re-load the game necessitating a few minutes downtime, which would not be a big deal. My only slight reservations is that this would remain untested until an actual turn took place and there may be issues with the firewall, which unfortunately has not been behaving predictably since a recent upgrade. :crazyeye:

If any of the other players can advise as to what they would wish me to do I would appreciate it.

Bolkonsky. ;)

I've been running a PitBoss since October with in-game e-mail notification. It works just fine.

When civstats was running on the original server my players would get two notices, one from civstats and one from my server.

I would appreciate it if you enable this feature as it's a bit of a hassle without it.

whiplash

I've been running a PitBoss since October with in-game e-mail notification. It works just fine.

When civstats was running on the original server my players would get two notices, one from civstats and one from my server.

I would appreciate it if you enable this feature as it's a bit of a hassle without it.

whiplash

OK. I am almost certainly going to do this.

One question though; can you tell me how I handle the CivStats uploader when I shut down Pitboss? Do I just leave it running or do I deactivate it or do I close it? It was quite a lot of work :faint: to set up CivStats and I really do not want to go through it again! :)

Just leave it running. It will pick up the game again after you restart.

Even if you need to reboot, Civstats just needs to be run and activated again, you won't have to do the setup work over again.

One thing the players need to know:

Hit the "My Account" link in CivStats and enter your e-mail addy. That way you will get e-mail notices once OverLoad gets things fixed. In the game, you need to go to the "Your Details" feature to enter the e-mail addy for in-game notices.

Just leave it running. It will pick up the game again after you restart.

Even if you need to reboot, Civstats just needs to be run and activated again, you won't have to do the setup work over again.

One thing the players need to know:

Hit the "My Account" link in CivStats and enter your e-mail addy. That way you will get e-mail notices once OverLoad gets things fixed.

Thanks. OK. I will do this in sometime the next couple of hours. If anyone cannot connect during this time, wait for a few minutes and then try again. :thumbsup:

In-game email notification has been set up for those who wish to use it. :dance:

Hopefully there will not be any problems :nospam: but if there are you know where to find me! :trouble: :hide:

Bolkonsky. ;)

The in-game auto notification is now working.

:woohoo: Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity to use, once again, my favourite smily!

Thanks Whiplash and a big thank you to WarningU2 for some helpful advice while I was setting this up, which was much easier than I thought. :banana:

Bolkonsky. ;)

Yeah sorry for being slow... usually I'm pretty quick with turns. It will help once there's email notification.

I find it useful, but not essential. I find that just using the your games page is enough for me to know when I have played a game or not, since it will tell me.

It would be nice if players like Beta (Toxo) speed up a bit, and not wait till the whole time slot expires! ;)

It would be nice if players like Beta (Toxo) speed up a bit, and not wait till the whole time slot expires! ;)

The delay is because Beta is away; he told me that he would be away from Sunday to Tuesday. He said he would try to arrange a sub but I guess it was not possible; it is not always and I am sure he would have done his best to find one as I hope we all will. Also, players do not have to tell everyone else, including me, if they are away for less than six turns but this time Beta did tell me as a courtesy.

In a game with so many players it will be difficult to find a time when everyone one is around especially during summer here in the Northern Hemisphere. Most Pitboss games have turn times higher than 16 hours; at least with this game players will have the opportunity to make two moves on some days.

I know that it can be frustrating waiting especially in the early stages of the game. Some things you might do are to take some screen shots, look at them off-line (you could out them as a wallpaper on your screen) and start planning how you are going to develop your civ. Read up on the forums about aspects of the game you are unfamiliar with. We all have random civs and I did set up the game that way for the specific reason that it would be highly unlikely that any of us would have got one that is our favourite or one that we are really familiar with. Certainly, the one I got I have never played before so I need to work out a strat. This I will do by setting up a SP game with 18 civs on a huge map running at epic speed. It will give me a better feel for the civ and I will less likely make silly mistakes. Also it means that I spend less time waiting. Ultimately it increases my enjoyment of the game.

Another suggestion, play more Pitboss games. :yeah: The chances are, sooner or later, that when one game is very slow say in the early stages like ours, another will be very active. You'll probably be trying to work out how you can possibly survive :eek: and it will be taking most of your attention.

I am looking at the clock and I can see that there are only about two and a half hours to go until the next turn. Not long to wait!

Oh and of course... there is RL...! :love: (always wondered how I could work that smily into a posting) and don't forget to eat! :yumyum: And finally, if you really have problems there is always Civ Anon :)

Bolkonsky. ;)

OverLoad will soon be moving his household so expect CivStats to be down for several weeks. Fortunatly, our host/server has activated the in-game notification feature.

So I'm back from my mini-vacation... and ready to roll once we hit 3700?

So I'm back from my mini-vacation... and ready to roll once we hit 3700?

Not quite... see below

I just sent you an email but I will repeat the contents here in case the other reserve players are following this thread.

Reserve places will be made available assuming none of the initial fifteen players is eliminated before 3700 BC.

Reserve players will join during the 3730 BC turn. That way they will be able to play the 3700 BC turn, otherwise the AI would play the turn for them.

Reserve list

JMaltman (16) Russia
GFletch (17) Viking
cds0528 (18) Greece

Note: this list will change if one of the initial players is eliminated

Bolkonsky. ;)

Top Bottom