[BtS 3.19 Mod] Culturally Linked Starts

If you can't combine this with other mods how exactly is it a mod component?

If you know how to merge code into the dll source code files and how to compile the dll afterwards, you can add it to any mod you want.

EDIT: If the other mod you want to use it with isn't a mod coming with its own dll you don't even need to know how to do the stuff mentioned above. To copy the CLS source files into the other mods directory would be all you would have to do to make it work (in most cases).

If you know how to merge code into the dll source code files and how to compile the dll afterwards, you can add it to any mod you want.

Fair enough.

Rise of Mankind is meant to be active during map generation so I'm hoping somebody will do the merge and upload it.

This mod appears to only be available through the installer. Is there any way to look at the source code without actually installing the mod?

There is. Run the installer, but do only chose the option "Source Code" on the "Choose Components" page. It'll unzip all the files to any location you want. It doesn't change your registry or add an uninstaller or stuff like this.

There is. Run the installer, but do only chose the option "Source Code" on the "Choose Components" page. It'll unzip all the files to any location you want. It doesn't change your registry or add an uninstaller or stuff like this.

Yes, that works. I have Vista and I got the elevation prompt. I was worried it would install the whole mod, and not have an option for just the source.

Anyway, it seems like a great mod. I'll be checking it out.

Jean Elcard,

I have also been experimenting with the Flavour mod by lumpthing:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=251580

I understand it is based on code you wrote for Fall From Heaven.

I'm wondering what exactly happens if I use the culturally linked starts option on a map script modified for Earth Flavour. Will one of the mods undo what the other did? Or could they compliment each other? Could it result in culturally-linked starts where, for example, Arabia is more likely to start near deserts?

Jean Elcard,

I have also been experimenting with the Flavour mod by lumpthing:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=251580

I understand it is based on code you wrote for Fall From Heaven.

I'm wondering what exactly happens if I use the culturally linked starts option on a map script modified for Earth Flavour. Will one of the mods undo what the other did? Or could they compliment each other? Could it result in culturally-linked starts where, for example, Arabia is more likely to start near deserts?

Lumpthing's mod is based on a very old version of FlavourMod made originally by dreiche2. The current much improved! version of it (link) is a total rewrite done by me in spring this year.

FlavourMod and CLS wouldn't do well together. Both run an optimization algorithm but with very different goals. As you suspected already, one mod would undo the work of the other, because both are switching around starting positions to reach their own goal. To optimize both criteria would involve a lot of heavy coding.

Does this mod make civilizations like the Portuguese and the Deutsh to start nearer the sea, like Earth Flavour did, in order to make better use of their UUs and UBs?

Does this mod make civilizations like the Portuguese and the Deutsh to start nearer the sea, like Earth Flavour did, in order to make better use of their UUs and UBs?

No it doesn't. It's "only" about distances and neighbourhood. Not that it would be impossible to restrict some civs to coastal starts or at least give them a tendency towards starts like this, but I have no plans to change this behaviour any time soon.

Just uploaded an updated version of Culturally Linked Starts, which is working with the new Beyond the Sword Patch 3.19. Get it from the first post.

EDIT1: Would somebody be interested in getting giant sized maps from any map script? I could import this from another mod of mine or release it as a stand alone.

EDIT2: If a moderator is reading this. Would you please change the 3.17 in the thread's name to a 3.19. Thanks a lot.

Thanks Jean. This mod is pretty simple but it adds so much to the atmosphere of the game. I'm hoping other mods like RevolutionDCM will incorporate it.

Also, any chance of you releasing a version of CLS with Better AI and BUG?

Thanks for this, it should have been done since the very beginning; it's definitely going into WoL.

However, I do have a question, which may have been asked before: The culturally linked starts are based on the city culture, not the unit art culture, right? If that makes any sense? Or is it based on something else? (i.e., if I change China's city art culture to "Meditteranean" in the XML, does that mean it'd pop up with Egypt and Byzantium on the map, or do I have to go into the python or something else to change that?)

It's actually based on real geography. If you want to add a new civ, you must enter the real life coordinates of the capital into a list in a python file, IIRC.

EDIT: If the other mod you want to use it with isn't a mod coming with its own dll you don't even need to know how to do the stuff mentioned above. To copy the CLS source files into the other mods directory would be all you would have to do to make it work (in most cases).

So if I wanted to combine this mod with say, varietas delectat, which doesnt have its own dll; would I have to just copy the files in 'assets' to their appropiate places in VD? Or would I have to do something else with the other files included in the 'CLS SDK' folder? (I'm no modder, i dont really know what im doing :p i can just about manage copy + paste most of the time)

So if I wanted to combine this mod with say, varietas delectat, which doesnt have its own dll; would I have to just copy the files in 'assets' to their appropiate places in VD? Or would I have to do something else with the other files included in the 'CLS SDK' folder? (I'm no modder, i dont really know what im doing :p i can just about manage copy + paste most of the time)

You are right, in case of a non-SDK mod you just have to copy the CLS SDK files to the appropriate places in the Assets folder of the mod of your liking. If it doesn't ask you to overwrite something in the process, then it should work together with this mod.

any idea why a mod crashes when using bigger map sizes (bigger than huge) ?

nevermind... seems to be another problem.

Top Bottom