Tomatekh's New Civilizations

@flairin

I leant more towards the Holy Roman Empire than the Franks as they were under Clovis, mostly because I wanted to implement the Rathaus.

@Tomatekh

Excellent work. Never heard of the Civ until now, but excellent work.

Okay, so I posted the Garamantes quickly then had to leave for the weekend, so if there are any problems you have to wait a few days before I can address them.

Some of the art needs work (although for the leader there really aren't many alternatives, being an obscure civ and all), and the LUA has some kinks to work out and needs to be cleaned up.

@JFD

Yeah, I sometimes think it might be a waste doing obscure civs as a lot of people will just ignore them. I wanted to do an ancient Libya/pre-Islam Berber Libya civ as a good friend of mine has actually studies the area (and is somewhat obsessed). I was originally going to do a more generalized "Ancient Libya" but I know Pouakai potentially wanted the Garamantes for his Zambezi mod, so I narrowed the focus (and really it would have been like 2/3 identical anyway). Plus the Garamantes let me think up a cool UA.

@Pouakai

Thanks! If you end up wanting to use them in Zambezi and want me to edit a few things, just let me know.

I also spruced up my maps for Benin and Rus' now that my map skills have gotten better. I'll include the updated maps in their next versions. Coincidentally, I've turned the third post into a map galley with the updated maps.

Edit: It seems the Rus' map isn't showing up; must have copied the wrong link. I'll fix it when I get back.

Updated the Timurids. The UA dummy building should now be invisible. Added the missing Alpha Atlases. I also re-did almost all the art (Still looking for a better background for the leader scene, though).

Related to that...

This is just out of curiosity, but the Timurids are the least popular of my civs both here and on Steam. Anyone who visits this thread want to guess why? Are their bonuses not good? Do people just not care about the Timurids as their own civ? Any thoughts?

I'm about making my own Timurids civ, i like the idea to enhance conquests with the trait that allows bonus from cities after the first conquest. I think I will use the same mechanics but rather with a bonus of gold. Samarkand is too much linked the Silkroad for me :commerce:

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't uploaded any new civs in a while. I've been extremely busy with school work. Otherwise, I'm aiming to help out Pouakai with his Zambezi mod. As such, my next civ will either be the Almohads or Zimbabwe.

My map for the Almohads is basically done:

I need to find something to fill the empty space in Africa (any suggestions?) and correct some minor errors with the text and fonts, but other than that I'm pretty pleased with it.

The map is excellent. I can't wait to play the Moors! Definitely different than plain Arabians.

EDIT: I noticed that the names of the Moorish states are in Polish :D I believe you will change those to english "Almohads", "Hafsids"... ;)

About Africa, I would suggest Zimbabwe but as you already said that, what about Swahili, Kongo, Mali or Zulus?

I really miss Zulus and Mali. But for african civs my favorite now would be Swahili.

About Africa, I would suggest Zimbabwe but as you already said that, what about Swahili, Kongo, Mali or Zulus?

I really miss Zulus and Mali. But for african civs my favorite now would be Swahili.

Actually, for the Zambezi project Kongo is already done and Swahili (as Kilwa) has all the art already completed (both thanks to Cyon). I'm not entirely sure what Pouakai's plans are for the Zulu, but, for me at least (and I'm sure other modders), I don't really want to invest any work in them because I'm convinced they will see an official (DLC or expansion) release at some point. I actually like the Mali, and I know they can easily be distinguished from Songhai, but I think that area of the map is already crowded in the Zambezi mod so they're not a high priority.

I know that the Goths are from the "Fall of Rome" scenario, but I just find the Gadrauht... useless. He's the same as a regular Swordsman, only he can use enemy roads like they were friendly? By the time the other civilizations actually bother to set up a decent road system, the Gadrauhts are long gone. I think they should have a different ability.

I know that the Goths are from the "Fall of Rome" scenario, but I just find the Gadrauht... useless. He's the same as a regular Swordsman, only he can use enemy roads like they were friendly? By the time the other civilizations actually bother to set up a decent road system, the Gadrauhts are long gone. I think they should have a different ability.

Well, units keep the ability when they upgrade and later on "enemy roads" is extremely strong. Then again, the current UA is overpowered (Tomatekh says he's been meaning to change it in an update when he finds the time), so having a weaker UU sort of helps balance it out.

Actually, Tomatekh, I was thinking, why not switch the UA and the Gadrauhts ability? I thing limiting the healing to only one unit would be more balanced and then you can take advantage of the roads better (and its strength won't really kick in to later, also balancing it out).

As Tomatekh's said, we've got a list of about eight African civilizations planned - included in which is Zimbabwe, Swahili, Kongo and some others. We're also hesitant to include the Zulus as it's almost certain that there will be a DLC or expansion with an official version at some point (What is Civ without Shaka?) and Mali has the issue of the same heartland as Songhai, and sharing the majority of the cities. But rest-assured, we have plenty more African civilizations on the list to make.

The map is excellent. I can't wait to play the Moors! Definitely different than plain Arabians.

EDIT: I noticed that the names of the Moorish states are in Polish :D I believe you will change those to english "Almohads", "Hafsids"... ;)

Thanks! I saw some of your new maps on your deviantart page and JFD's mods; amazing as usual. I think my maps are gradually getting better (still nowhere near yours, though!).

(Also the names are already changed. The result of of working late at night and using a reference map that happened to be in Polish and not really paying attention to typing the ending -zi).

awesome civs..
interesting, what did you devise for the Harappa?
i heard of their water reservoirs, could be an aqueduct UB.
i've found this image:
Spoiler :

maybe can be used for the dom screen

another picture, maybe for the diplo screen
quite a big one but needs correction
Spoiler :

It was basically a growth related UA and UB. The plan was for an aqueduct UB but there is a bug where Aqueduct UBs don't work right with the Tradition finisher so you have to avoid using them.

Thanks for the pictures. I've been looking myself every once in a while but less and less as I've been distracted with other civs.

If you're searching for a good icon maker why not call janboruta?

I'm not really officially requesting either icon, I guess. I know all the good icon makers are busy. Those are really just two gaps in existing mods that I don't really have time (or ability) to go back to and fix up at the moment. I really just wanted to put it out there, if anyone who can, and has time, and wants to help out, I'd be extremely grateful, but it's nothing vital.

Also, I'll definitely have the Brazil edits done by Monday night. Sorry again for the delay.

Top Bottom