The Dragon Age Mod Project

Elvehenan needs to have arcane warriors.

Mages can be a special unit with lyrium as the strategic resource to build/maintain. Alternatively, maybe a unit type called 'slave' which can serve as a substitute (blood magic) in the absence of lyrium.

Once I have my new PC (July ish) I would be happy to make the map and program in True Start Locations for all your proposed civs/city states. I think that might be my best contribution at the moment, along with suggestions for traits, etc.

An idea for a UB for Elvhenan: Eluvians, work essentially like airports do in regular civ, but with unlimited range.

Once I have my new PC (July ish) I would be happy to make the map and program in True Start Locations for all your proposed civs/city states. I think that might be my best contribution at the moment, along with suggestions for traits, etc.

An idea for a UB for Elvhenan: Eluvians, work essentially like airports do in regular civ, but with unlimited range.

Ooh, I really like that idea for the Eluvians. They would have to replace something other than the airport, since almost everything past gunpowder on the tech-tree will be removed, but they could have that ability.

The Inquisition does not have a culture or history. It should be a city state (and let's be honest, there's no overload of city states around, good to have another)

I think demons, wildlife, and darkspawn would be great. "Assault on the Golden City" might be a cool project, but alternately you could simply have a strategic resource called "Archdemon" around at 7 points on the map, and if touched by a darkspawn, it would create an archdemon. I think that might be the most true to fiction way of doing it.

What other religions are you thinking of adding? Dalish Gods, Tevinter Old Gods, Chantry, but what else? Qun?

Oh, just anecdotally, I have downloaded all three that you've completed, any idea how to fix a bug in which the Orlais leader screen isn't showing during diplomacy?

The Tevinter Gods, Avvar Gods, Elven Gods, The Chantry, The Imperial Chantry, The Qun, Seercraft (Rivaini religion), and Paragon Veneration are the religions I will be including. I actually have them ready to go as a mod right now. I'm wondering if I should release it as is, or only include it as part of the total conversion mod.

Not sure what's up with the Orlais mod, it's working fine on my computer. What exactly isn't working about it? And which link did you download it from? Here or on Steam?

Elvehenan needs to have arcane warriors.

Mages can be a special unit with lyrium as the strategic resource to build/maintain. Alternatively, maybe a unit type called 'slave' which can serve as a substitute (blood magic) in the absence of lyrium.

Right, the arcane Warriors were an Elven thing; I wasn't even thinking about them at the time I did my main write up for the planning phase of this project. Nice thinking. I was originally thinking of using Emerald Knights (Halla-mounted units, according to Tge World Of Thedas) as there UU, but your idea's better.

I was thinking also of including different varieties of mage units (sort of like the bowman, composite bowman, and crossbowman for archers), and having an Arcane Healer as one of them (automatically heals nearby units very slowly), and having Tevinter's UU be a blood mage, which replaces them.

I like the mage idea.

I downloaded Orlais from here, might just be a glitch on my end, actually quite irrelevant given that I'd be using it on my new future PC anyway, so never mind!

Eluvians could replace harbor? And Elvehenan has no need of roads either. In fact I would argue they should be forbidden from building them.

Regarding religions, if they can be easily incorporated later (which, as I understand) they can be, it might be good to release it if it's done. If it's easier to incorporate it later as a whole, then do that instead.

Just thought I'd throw my thoughts about traits and such onto the page. Pick and choose as you will, ask me about them, just wanted to get it all out there.

Ferelden: spot on

Orlais: Orlais is famous for 3 things: Empire, the Game, and the Chantry. It's traits currently reflect only one. Chantry is religion, so that shouldn't be reflected, but Empire should be, and Orlais didn't have a hegemony, it had an occupation. The part of the trait which says 3 culture from friendly CS should be changed to +3 culture from occupied cities.

Kirkwall: perfect

Antiva: Crows should be altered a bit, given they do not fight outright, they're assassins. I like the 3 movement speed, but I think they should have a very deadly RANGED attack with range 1, but very little melee strength. This would mean that when attacking a target, the crows would be very lethal, but would be very vulnerable when defending.

Dalish: "yield" is misspelt in the trait bar. otherwise nice.

Anderfels: King Augustin, Trait: Blighted Land: +1 Food from Blighted terrain (or possibly just Tundra if we don't add that)
UB: Warden Fortress: Provides free castle in city built and provides one free Grey Warden unit.
UU: Mountain Scout: Ignores terrain cost, moves 3 tiles/turn, weaker than normal scout.

Tevinter: trait is on point
UU: Magister: Replaces whatever damage mage unit we create. Should have a pretty hefty ranged attack bonus, but no strength bonus for defense in melee.
UU: Tevinter Slave: Replaces worker, 25% slower at making improvements, but maintenance free

Nevarra: Trait: Expansionist Marchers: 10% combat bonus in home territory or against city states.
UU: Dragon Hunter: 50% combat bonus against wildlife, replaces longswordsman
UU: Mortalitasi: Has ability: summon dead, creates a new 'undead' unit nearby which has 1 movement and is slightly weaker than swordsman. replaces damage mage.

Starkhaven: Trait: Liberation of the Faithful: May only settle one city (like Kirkwall), 50% combat bonus when attacking city of same religion.
UU: Starkhaven Longbowman: replaces crossbow, has range of 3.
UB: Noble Estate: replaces temple, provides normal faith and +2 happiness.

Rivain: UB: Raider Harbor: functions as harbor does (replaces harbor) but provides +1 gold from sea tiles.

Elvhenan: Trait: Uthenara: Cannot build roads, earns 15% more science from buildings
UB: Eluvian: replaces colosseum (no reason they would have that), functions like an airport but with unlimited range
UU: Arcane Warrior: replaces damage mage, upgraded strength and equivalent ranged (of 1) attack and melee.

Avvar: capital should not be skyhold, that's for the inquisition CS
Trait: Fervent Belief: Avvar cities cannot be converted
UB: Hold-Beast: replaces library, provides +5 happiness and +25 HP to city (no science)

Qunari: nice

Dwarven Kingdoms should, in my opinion, be two city states. Especially for how I envision the map, it makes more sense to have them as CS. It is not elvehenan which can be connected by eluvians.

Tech Notes:
Gat'lock (qunari gunpowder) should be a tech I think, essentially just gunpowder. what other techs are you thinking???

Orlais: Orlais is famous for 3 things: Empire, the Game, and the Chantry. It's traits currently reflect only one. Chantry is religion, so that shouldn't be reflected, but Empire should be, and Orlais didn't have a hegemony, it had an occupation. The part of the trait which says 3 culture from friendly CS should be changed to +3 culture from occupied cities.

That is actually brilliant. Not only that, it's something I can fairly easily do by taking and altering the Kirkwall code. I had originally planned to make it so that their trait earned them a bit of culture and faith per turn for every offensive spy they had, but I couldn't figure out how to do that, and no one i asked had a specific answer either. So, it just eventually devolved into something I could do that featured something diplomatic.

Antiva: Crows should be altered a bit, given they do not fight outright, they're assassins. I like the 3 movement speed, but I think they should have a very deadly RANGED attack with range 1, but very little melee strength. This would mean that when attacking a target, the crows would be very lethal, but would be very vulnerable when defending.

Would they then become an archery unit? Or are you thinking more of a knife-throwing unit. I like the idea of the latter, but that would require creating a new, custom animation; something I can't do. I do actually have my code different from what I have written; I have it so that they have 4 moves, rather than 3, and instead of the no terrain penalty, they can move immediately after attacking. What are your thoughts on that?

Dalish: "yield" is misspelt in the trait bar. otherwise nice.

God damnit. Again? thanks, I've been misspelling that word a LOT lately.

Anderfels: King Augustin, Trait: Blighted Land: +1 Food from Blighted terrain (or possibly just Tundra if we don't add that)
UB: Warden Fortress: Provides free castle in city built and provides one free Grey Warden unit.
UU: Mountain Scout: Ignores terrain cost, moves 3 tiles/turn, weaker than normal scout.

Ok, I like it. I like it a lot, in fact. Maybe until/unless a blighted lands terrain can be made, maybe use tundra and/or desert for their UA?

Tevinter: trait is on point
UU: Magister: Replaces whatever damage mage unit we create. Should have a pretty hefty ranged attack bonus, but no strength bonus for defense in melee.
UU: Tevinter Slave: Replaces worker, 25% slower at making improvements, but maintenance free

Nevarra: Trait: Expansionist Marchers: 10% combat bonus in home territory or against city states.
UU: Dragon Hunter: 50% combat bonus against wildlife, replaces longswordsman
UU: Mortalitasi: Has ability: summon dead, creates a new 'undead' unit nearby which has 1 movement and is slightly weaker than swordsman. replaces damage mage.

Starkhaven: Trait: Liberation of the Faithful: May only settle one city (like Kirkwall), 50% combat bonus when attacking city of same religion.
UU: Starkhaven Longbowman: replaces crossbow, has range of 3.
UB: Noble Estate: replaces temple, provides normal faith and +2 happiness.

Rivain: UB: Raider Harbor: functions as harbor does (replaces harbor) but provides +1 gold from sea tiles.

Elvhenan: Trait: Uthenara: Cannot build roads, earns 15% more science from buildings
UB: Eluvian: replaces colosseum (no reason they would have that), functions like an airport but with unlimited range
UU: Arcane Warrior: replaces damage mage, upgraded strength and equivalent ranged (of 1) attack and melee.

Yes, liking all of those. Only thing I'd toss in is maybe to have the Arcane Warrior replace a Templar unit instead? They didn't really have templars, and it (the Templar) would be a melee unit anyways.

Avvar: capital should not be skyhold, that's for the inquisition CS
Trait: Fervent Belief: Avvar cities cannot be converted
UB: Hold-Beast: replaces library, provides +5 happiness and +25 HP to city (no science)

Good point on the Skyhold bit there. I had written up my ideas on the OP before I had decided to include the Inquisition as a CS, and didn't even think about the conflict between the two.

Dwarven Kingdoms should, in my opinion, be two city states. Especially for how I envision the map, it makes more sense to have them as CS. It is not elvehenan which can be connected by eluvians.

I can tell you right now, people would be pretty miffed if they got taken out.

Tech Notes:
Gat'lock (qunari gunpowder) should be a tech I think, essentially just gunpowder. what other techs are you thinking???

If it was a tech, it would only be available for the Qunari to research then.

I didn't plan out the entire tech tree, but things that are lyrium/magic based would have to be included (Lyrium Smithing, Enchantment, Potion Crafting, etc.), as well as other techs that would allow for more naval units. (Since only Galeases and Triremes would be left in from the vanilla games). Since the human barbarians would be all replaced, the Galleys from them could be used, as well as maybe Barques, Carracks, etc.

I'm thinking at least three or four mage units as well as the same amount of templar units, so there would have to be enough techs to support that, as well as maybe Circles of Magic as buildings for them (sort of like stables are for mounted units).

I also want to divide the tech tree into ages; instead of the industrial or medieval, have the Divine Age, the Glory Age, the Towers Age, etc.

I also have a bunch of wonders I want to replace the vanilla ones with. I have so far:
-The Grand Cathedral (Spawns a Great Prophet, and provides faith per turn)
-Hero of Ferelden Statue (All units built in the city it's built in receive a free promotion to increase combat ability against darkspawn)
-Our Lady of the Anderfels (Nation that build it can add an extra follower belief to their religion. Earns faith per turn)
-The Winter Palace (Nation that built it receives an extra spy. Earns culture per turn)
-Temple of Mythal (Archery units earn faith per kill. Provides a free temple)
-University of Orlais (Spawns a great scientist, provides a free university, Contains Great Work of Art slot.)
-Imperial Highway (All cities receive a capital city connection. Production yield in all cities with caravan routes)
-The Juggernauts (Range and Strength of city bombard greatly increased)
-Hammer of the Void (source of 5 lyrium, and 2 free golems)
-Grand Tourney (Spawns a Great General. Provides a free Armory)
-Twins of Kirkwall (+1 production and gold yield for water tiles)
-Grand Necropolis (Earn culture each time your own units are killed)
-Redcliffe Castle (15% friendly territory combat bonus to all units. provides a free castle) yes, I realize it's exactly the same as Himeji Castle
-Hall of Heroes (grants a free technology. Has a filled work of Great Writing)
-White Spire (15% production to all mage and templar units. Spawns a a Knight-Commander, a powerful templar unit with a Great General Ability. (Knight-Commander cannot be otherwise built))

Thoughts?

The Cult of Andraste could be another religion (not sure this is their official name).

My main argument for the Inquisition being a civ is that I'd like to play as them :p They do have a history, they weren't founded in the Dragon Age. But of course, this is all up to you!

I think crows animation can be archery without being much of a problem. What I was actually thinking was more of a poisoning animation, but obviously, that's complex, and I think, ultimately unnecessary.

"blighted land" should just be tundra until/unless we make the new terrain type. Thinking about the map, darkspawn would generally be spawning in tundra areas (Korcari, mountains, etc) so I think that's the best replacement.

Are you thinking that Templars would be buildable by any nation? I was thinking that Templars and Mages would be CS, but ones which did not control territory beyond their one tile. (Kind of like stations in beyond earth). Essentially, each tower would be its own little one tile CS, some would gift mage units, others would gift templar units, others would give science, etc.

Also, I like your wonders, but Grand Enchanter and Templar Commander should be separated, not linked.

The Cult of Andraste could be another religion (not sure this is their official name).

My main argument for the Inquisition being a civ is that I'd like to play as them :p They do have a history, they weren't founded in the Dragon Age. But of course, this is all up to you!

The Cult of Andraste is the same as the Chantry.

I think crows animation can be archery without being much of a problem. What I was actually thinking was more of a poisoning animation, but obviously, that's complex, and I think, ultimately unnecessary.

"blighted land" should just be tundra until/unless we make the new terrain type. Thinking about the map, darkspawn would generally be spawning in tundra areas (Korcari, mountains, etc) so I think that's the best replacement.

Are you thinking that Templars would be buildable by any nation? I was thinking that Templars and Mages would be CS, but ones which did not control territory beyond their one tile. (Kind of like stations in beyond earth). Essentially, each tower would be its own little one tile CS, some would gift mage units, others would gift templar units, others would give science, etc.

I really think mage and templar units should be buildable by all nations. Turning them into CSs would really complexify the code, and it's going to be really tough as-is. Plus, we know from Origins that nations are ready and able to employ mages and/or templars in war, both during Ostagar, and during Denerim.

The only exception would be the dwarves; they wouldn't have either, and would get a lot of extra UUs (stone golems, steel golems, legions of the dead, etc.), and because of their natural immunity to lyrium, I'm thinking a slight defence against magic attacks as well.

ok, then I would say you only need one 'mage' unit, not several as you mentioned earlier (healer, etc). Just ditch the healer. It'd be a pain to code anyway.

Ok, since I will be making the map, we need to solidify what nations will be which (playable civs vs city states vs not on the map)

I can certainly see which civs you have sought, and we spoke of having several barbarian factions, darkspawn, demons, and wildlife (I would say forget wildlife and just have Dragons).

Which CS do you have so that I may include them in my map?

The Cult of Andraste is the same as the Chantry.
No it isn't. I'm referring to the people of Haven that worshipped a dragon as being Andraste reborn. They seem quite different from traditional Chantry in belief and organization. Given, they're very small.

Which CS do you have so that I may include them in my map?

Ansburg, Hambleton, Hercinia, Kaiten, Markham, Ostwick, Tantervale, and Wycome for the regular city-states, then of course the Grey Wardens and the Inquisition as special city-states.

(side note; I've now updated the Orlais mod with your suggested trait.)

No it isn't. I'm referring to the people of Haven that worshipped a dragon as being Andraste reborn. They seem quite different from traditional Chantry in belief and organization. Given, they're very small.

Oh, that. Sorry, it's just that the actual religion of the Chantry, according to The World of Thedas, is called the Cult of the Maker, so I got confused.

I don't think I'll be putting that one in; it's just such a minor religion that no major civilizations actually worship.

A thought: As long as we're planning 14 civs, a way to make it an even 15 would be to add a Darkspawn faction, but not the Archdemon commanded one, I would say with the Architect as the leader, so it can function essentially like a normal civ.

Another CS possibility, Venatori: actually a use for the Tevinter Old Gods religion, wheras now it's being unused on my idea of the map- unless we add the darkspawn architect faction in, in which case, very useful.

Top Bottom