Starting new pitboss game soon

Pagan[CyC]

Chieftain
Starting two games.

First one is filled and will start as soon as everyone sends their leader preferences.

Second will be posted in another thread to keep it simple.

I would not mind a spot in your PTBS game.

When I tested the Direct IP I got Host timing out.

I got in at Gamespy with no problem,

I hope this helps and look forward to hearing from you.

Richm,

Thanks for the feedback. It would probably be easiest to use the Gamespy lobby so I'm glad that worked. You'll get first choice when we get started.

But I'd like to get Direct IP working just to have another option, so I'll see I can figure out what's up with that.

Hi Pagan,

I'd also like to volunteer.

I tried the Direct IP but I get a host timed out error.

Have never tried via Gamespy before. Will investigate what is required to use that option.

richm said:
To get a Direct IP to work you must look at your firewall.

I'm certain that is it. I forgot to open the port in the Windows firewall for the second instance of pitboss. Will do that tonight and post an update here.

Johnhs said:
Have never tried via Gamespy before. Will investigate what is required to use that option.

That's the built in Multiplayer...Internet Game option.

I'm thinking of starting two pitboss games, one a little smaller than standard and one with AIs playing also. Either of those sound good?

OK, the firewall issue with the direct connect game should be fixed. Please try:

68.230.158.83:2061

Soon ready to start the game(s). Anyone up for this:
4 player
0 AI
small fractal map

or this:
4 human
4 AI
large fractal map

My preferred settings are:
no goody huts (to reduce the effect of luck)
random climate (to make it interesting)
random sea level (ditto)
ancient era
normal speed
world wrap: cylindrical
resources: balanced (again to reduce impact of luck)
the rest default

But I am open to alternatives.

Mîtiu Ioan said:
I have one warning for you - resource "balanced" could mean something else ... :rolleyes:

Care to be more specific? I could certainly be mistaken about the point of "balanced" resources.

Mîtiu Ioan said:
P.S. : Warlords or Vanila version ? :confused:

Warlords. I should have specified that.

Pagan[CyC] said:
Care to be more specific? I could certainly be mistaken about the point of "balanced" resources.

I observed that, in a continent map, this means usually ? sometime ? that on a continent is grouped on resources ( for example sugar ) and on the others silk and spice ... and so on ... :rolleyes:

I don't know if this is valid for all type of landmass - but be aware. ;)

Regards

I still get host timing out on the IP

Your game settings seem fine to me.
As for the type of game you will have to see how many players you get as there are already 5 players.

I am no expert in this and stand corrected but I don't think a fractal map would be a ideal map for a PTBS

I still get timed out on Direct IP.

It's not crucial, but consider No Tech Trading.
I have a concern this just gives the game to a player in the largest "syndicate". You should work for what u get.

But I haven't debated this with other Civ players so I'm open to counter opions.

I'm ready to play if there's still room. Regarding the settings I'd prefer random resources. If balanced means everyone gets equal amount of resources, for example iron, it's slightly boring. It's more fun to try to adapt to the resources you happen to find.

Resources:standard is fine, we'll do that.
I'd be willing to consider no tech trading.

I was really hoping to keep the number of players down. It would be nice to occasionally get more than one turn a day in, and the more players the less likely that is to happy.

Right now we have 6:
richm
Johnhs
IanDC
Mîtiu Ioan
Dandridge
and me

I would rather play two 4 player games as I outlined above, as I would like to try a game with at least half AI just to see how that would work out. To do so we would either need one more player or for someone in addition to me play in both.

Everyone OK with four player games? Anyone strongly prefer to play with AIs or without them? Anyone want to play in two games?

Or would everyone like to just do a six player without AIs?

And just to give us one more thing to discuss, how do you feel about accelerated starts?

I would prefere a six-players without AIs game.

6 is a pretty manageable number ( and could easily mean 2 turns/day or an average of 3turns/2 days ) IMHO. And AIs are a "lucky" factor too ...

Regards

I would agree with Mitiu Ioan that 6 is manageable. Might I suggest you start one with the 6 players you have then start a second one with 4 players and AI's I am sure you won't be short of volenteers for a 2nd game.

I would not mind a accelerated start as it seems most players are on a European time zone according to their locations but it could be a bit of a logistics nightmare.

By accelerated start I meant the initial setting where the era is chosen. Accelerated means more techs known and more units to start with. We'll skip it for this game.

Not so much because I'm fussy about the details, but just to get this going here's what I'd like to do. One Warlords game with the six players who have expressed interest:

richm
Johnhs
IanDC
Mîtiu Ioan
Dandridge
and me

With settings:
map: balanced
no goody huts
random climate
random sea level
ancient era
normal speed
world wrap: cylindrical
resources: standard
and the rest default

In the interest of getting this going, let's limit comments about settings to strong dislikes only. I will change anything that is broadly disliked, but I'd really rather get it started.

Email me your top two leader choices. Ties will be resolved by order of initial expression of interest. Anyone who hasn't done so by Sunday will be left out and replaced by an AI that can be taken over on a first come, first served basis.

My Email: civ4@geeberry.com

Top Bottom