Our World: Civilizations of the Modern Age Design Discussion

Holy Honecker, that is a stunning map.

I know, right? Beautiful. My only wish is for it to be my dark-gold-grey as a bg instead of red, but honestly? It probably looks better as is.

Nice (Mc)stuff!

@Urdnot, COF, Hamm - the design confusion is partly my fault. When I last updated the OP I must have forgotten to update the Mangaka with the design supplied to me by COF, from Urdnot. My apologies! It should be OK now...Sorry for the confusion again. If there are any remaining issues with regards to credits please let me know. Credit disputes are the last thing I want.
Oh its all a little out of proportion really - I didn't mean for it to be a problem, I really don't care about credit whatsoever, just the fact that people think my designs are good enough to get made is enough for me :lol:

@Urdnot On Turkmenistan - I like your ideas, although I would offer that the current design, that I posted a few posts up (OP is NOT current on Turkmenistan) which is still open to massaging , is primarily capital focused, using elements of Scape's design to transfer yields to the capital. THe Natural Gas should not be the primary focus of the design, but I think that it IS appropriate for it to be included secondarily, as the bonus to buildings percentage encourages a well-developed capital and it's also really cool, especially if implemented as a psuedo-natural wonder.

I do understand your concern though. I will attempt to find a good balance between the two concepts, but I indeed do find Scape's design to be incredibly unique.

Oh I didn't see that design I was just going off of the OP - though I still think Natural Gas would best be covered in a decision or event. I could see either working way better than a UA thing:

Decision: Conduct a resource survey in the desert.
Costs: 1 Magistrates, 150 :c5gold: gold*current era, 50 :c5science: science*current era
Requirements: May only be enacted once per era, must be working at least 3 desert tiles and have researched Archaeology.
Rewards: Natural Gas resources have a chance to appear on desert tiles in the empire. Very small chance that the unique Natural Wonder 'Gate to Hell' appears near the :c5capital: capital. For every oil, natural gas or coal resource in the empire, receive 50 :c5gold: gold

Event: We've struck Gas!
Requirements: Have researched biology, have at least 3 desert tiles in the Empire. Chance increases with every era and for every desert tile in the Empire.
Options:

"This wealth will benefit this great nation immensely"
Some natural gas resources may appear on desert tiles around your empire. All cities enter a :c5food: 'We Love the King Day'.

"I am the nation, this wealth will benefit me, naturally!"
Some natural gas resources may appear on desert tiles around the :c5capital: capital, which instantly enters a :c5food: We Love the King Day. +2 :c5gold: gold on all natural gas.

"Keep digging! Dig greedily and dig deep!"
Some of your workers may be killed and lose some :c5gold: Gold. Some natural gas resources may appear on desert tiles around your empire and there is a tiny chance the 'Gate to Hell' unique natural wonder appears near your :c5capital: capital.

^Can you make a modern Norway without an oil focus in the uniques?

Can you make a Turkmenistan without a natural gas focus in the uniques?

My answer is 'no' to both. That's a Norwegian saying that.

Oh, and in this case 'uniques' also includes the UA.

Theres a difference between a civ which gets bonuses from oil and one whos primary attribute is 'gets oil'. Norway has used its oil to build a strong economy and that is something impressive and worth integrating into uniques. If Natural Gas was already a resource I wouldn't have a problem with granting bonuses based off of controlling lots of it.

My problem is when the civs UA is 'Receive copies of Natural Gas for settling in desert' because Turkmenistan doesn't choose where it settles. It hasn't achieved anything by being plonked on top of some of the largest gas fields in the world. I wouldn't want a modern Norways UA to be 'Upon entering the Atomic era, receive a buttload of oil resources' because I personally think its insulting.

Theres a difference between a civ which gets bonuses from oil and one whos primary attribute is 'gets oil'. Norway has used its oil to build a strong economy and that is something impressive and worth integrating into uniques. If Natural Gas was already a resource I wouldn't have a problem with granting bonuses based off of controlling lots of it.

My problem is when the civs UA is 'Receive copies of Natural Gas for settling in desert' because Turkmenistan doesn't choose where it settles. It hasn't achieved anything by being plonked on top of some of the largest gas fields in the world. I wouldn't want a modern Norways UA to be 'Upon entering the Atomic era, receive a buttload of oil resources' because I personally think its insulting.

it('s ciztizens) have achieved subsides. and a lot of those.

it('s ciztizens) have achieved subsides. and a lot of those.

...Okay. I'm not sure what bearing this has on my disagreement :lol:

I'm not arguing that natural gas IRL hasn't been a bonus to Turkmenistan. I'm saying that a UA which grants the player copies of natural gas is wrong.

I agree that the natural gas thing has contributed to the path of Turkmen history, but I think it would definitely better serve as a decision or event than an integral part of the uniques. Especially not the whole "Door To Hell" thing, which is an awful idea to build a Civ around (and was why I offered my Turkmenbashi-themed idea in the first place). It's like giving an America split a UA based solely off Centralia, Pennsylvania. =]

I am definitely persuaded by the arguments that Natural Gas shouldn't be in the UA. So that leaves us with a capital-focusing element plus Great Works giving Happiness. Are we happy with this? Scape, can you attempt to synthesize this? You had the brilliant capital ideas after all =]

I do want natural gas represented as a decision, though. It's interesting enough for htat.

UA: Turkmenbasy
Roads and Railroads only provide +5% bonuses to :c5gold: Gold and :c5production: Production respectively, but increase those yields in the :c5capital: Capital by +15% for each City connected to your Trade Network in this manner. :greatwork: Great Works generate :c5happy: Happiness rather than :tourism: Tourism.

---

This is another thing that I think synergises well with what I want from the Civ - Capital is speshul, errywhere else is just whatever - and I like the idea of messing about with City Connections. It's also sneakily powerful, if you don't mind paying some GPT - notice that it doesn't say they have to be Turkmen cities. You can connect it to City-States for a handy-dandy gold and hammers boost in Ashgabat. Stronk Cap is stronk. =]

But no tourism?!
Its still a culture civ, but with no tourism...

That's sort of the point. It's an entirely defensive culture civ - tourism being basically the sword to culture's shield - and therefore your great works generate happiness to deal with your gargantuan ideology pressure.

I think that design is waay too punitive. Traditionally, UAs just offer a straight up bonus without trade-offs, the exception of course being India which is widely regarded as an extremely poor civ to play both fun-wise and in terms of strength. As much as it pains the ultra-orthodox designer in me, I can see one trade-off in the UA working, but both effects being punitive is a bit much. Especially since the second half literally rules out any chance of a culture victory. Id replace the second bit with simply

':greatwork: Great works in the :c5capital: capital yield +2 :c5happy: happiness'

I didn't read the thousand suggestions that were posted here, but whatever happened with tourism from oil/gas? That would have much more flavour and work nicely with the lack of tourism from great works.

And I don't think the design should be based around improving the capital to the detriment of your other cities since:

President Niyazov spent much of the country's revenue on extensively renovating cities

IMO this is a solid base for the UA, just needs something that's relevant in the early game:
Great Works yield happiness instead of tourism. Gain tourism from improved and again from traded Oil Resources, and the city working them gains +5% production per improved Oil.

Read the suggestions above to understand then.

In short words: Too stereotypical.

As for the UA, maybe something like no Great Work slots in non-capital cities but twice as many in the capital? Certainly better than my prior idea of twice as many National Wonders.

Funny how Turkmenistan became the most discussed civ.

In short words: Too stereotypical.

Too stereotypical? Arabia gets double Oil resources and Brazil has the carnaval as UA. Maybe it's stereotypical, but it portrays the civilization just fine and is not even offensive. Turkmenistan has its economy based around two things: Gas and Cotton. This is not an stereotype, it's a fact.

I still think improving the capital to the detriment of othet cities is unfairly punitive; Vanilla France doesnt get halved theming bonus in all of its other cities. I still think the UA should be based around happiness and the cult of personality surrounding Turkmenbasi, with a Natural Gas decision. Tourism from natural gas seems VERY weird. When was the last time you heard a kid say to his dad

"Awhh, Disneyland? Dad cant we go to Turkmenistan for our holidays? I wanna see all their natural gas reserves! "

Top Bottom