Video Issue

ryantherenegade

Chieftain
Hi guys,

Let me first say that I have looked up and down for other posts regarding this issue with Civ 5 and cannot find it anywhere else. So here it is:

I have recently changed my screen to an HDTV, and when running Civ 5, it is automatically running in windowed mode.

I tried changing the video settings and found that I could not - in fact every option in the video settings had disappeared.
Then I tried changing the options in the .ini files, and when i did, the game just reverted back when I reloaded the game.

The only other thing I can think of that may have affected this is that Steam decided to update my GPU the other day - I can't remember if I played Civ again before I changed the screen.

Any responses would be helpful.

(Oh yeah, and I've had the game since september and I've been running it on fullscreen with maximum video settings since then and had no problems with it - the GPU is ATI Radeon 4800 series, and pc is Windows 7 pro (64bit) with Intel Core duo 2.93Ghz)

Welcome to CFC :).

If you take a look at the patch log (here), you can find this note:
Full screen crash fix. Game will now restart in Windowed mode if it cannot find a suitable full-screen resolution on first start.

I guess the "can't find suitable resolution" does apply to your HD-TV.

Thank you for the welcome!

I did read this information that you posted, thanks.

I'm assuming nobody is currently aware of a way to circumvent this or a way to force it to go into full screen mode?

I'm looking forward to being a member of these forums :D

Update on this issue: managed to get the game running in 1920 x 1080 resolution, but still in windowed mode.

I did this by modifying the text in the .ini graphic settings file, and then setting the file type to read only, this seemed to stop the game automatically changing the resolution to something really small.

It really looks fantastic on this resolution.

Just in case anybody is wondering...

I would try to "match" resolutions that are available in the game with resolutions that your card is sending to the HDTV. Instead of changing the game, find one the game likes in your video card setting for the HDTV.

Top Bottom