New Civs - Confirmed Details

I'm pretty sure the Theodora they have in the game won't be Justinian's wife, but this Theodora: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodora_(11th_century)

I am 99% sure it is Theodora the Wife of Justinian I. As she was also in Civ III the Byzantine leader and Theodora you suggested had hardly any power and ruled only for a very short period (along with her sister Zoe).

she was co-empress with her sister Zoe for two months in 1042 and sole empress from 11 January 1055 to after 31 August 1056.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Though if they are representing Justinian's wife, it'd be strange not to have Justinian in the leader screen too. Theodora (Justinian's wife) was the power behind the throne, not the power on it.

Yeah, kinda like this:

Additional info:
http://www.civ3.com/conq_prof_byzantines.cfm

Empress Theodora (Wife of Justinian I)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodora_(wife_of_Justinian_I))
Theodora is perhaps the most influential and powerful woman in the Roman Empire's history.

Theodora is considered a great female figure of the Byzantine Empire, and a pioneer of feminism, because of the laws she passed, increasing the rights of women. As a result of Theodora's efforts, the status of women in the Byzantine Empire was elevated far above that of women in the Middle East and the rest of Europe.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0848391.html
Theodora d. 548, Byzantine empress. Information about her early career comes from the often-questionable source, the Secret History of Procopius. It appears that she was the daughter of an animal trainer in the circus, and that she was an actress and prostitute before her marriage (523) to Justinian I, who, on his accession in 527, made her joint ruler of the empire. A stronger person than her husband, she helped save the throne through her energetic action in the Nika riot (532) In her youth Theodora came under the influence of the Monophysite sect; Justinian's efforts to reconcile the Monophysites to orthodoxy were probably inspired by her. She is represented in the mosaics of the church of San Vitale, in Ravenna.

Would be cool if she looked something like this in CiV. Sitting on the throne, surrounded with Byzantine decorations.
Spoiler :

I hoping her personal traits would be seductive and cunning ;)

It would be awesome if they had Justinian AND Theodora together as one leader... I can't see it happening, though.

I totally agree with you!

So that Fatih Sultan Mehmed can smash them both at the same time...

me smash you die...

I'm pretty sure the Theodora they have in the game won't be Justinian's wife, but this Theodora: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodora_(11th_century)

Hopefully I'm wrong. Though if they are representing Justinian's wife, it'd be strange not to have Justinian in the leader screen too. Theodora (Justinian's wife) was the power behind the throne, not the power on it.

They had Theodora, wife of Justinian, in Civ3. I wouldn't put it past them to have the other Theodora just like Monty I vs. Monty II, but it would probably be just as bizarre of a choice of Theodora wife of Justinian.

I doubt that they decided to use the other Theodora, rather than Justinians wife. If they wanted some female Byzantine leader other than Theodora, Justinians wife, they would have used Irene of Athens, instead of an Empress who ruled for a year.

It was confirmed by another thread's link that the Dutch building (the one in the screenshots that was multi colored) was actually a tulip field, and the tulips can be traded.

Theodora was Justinian's wife, but she wasn't a ruler. So that's weird. However it would be cool if Justinian and Theodora were rulers together.

There was another Theodora, who co-ruled with her sister, Empress Zoe.

Interestingly, Dutch have been referred to in the same article as having Dikes, Polders And a Unique Privateer unit, as well as a unique Tulips resource which can be traded. Is it just me, or is that four UC?

I have the impression that the Tulips falls under the polders, but IDK how the others work. Unless the dikes are part of the UA.

Interestingly, Dutch have been referred to in the same article as having Dikes, Polders And a Unique Privateer unit, as well as a unique Tulips resource which can be traded. Is it just me, or is that four UC?

I have a feeling that the polder/dike is one arrangement on a tile and that perhaps the tulips emanate from that tile; that cuts down the added stuff quite a lot if they are connected.

At the very least I think that the polder/dike is similar?

I would guess that the Dutch have a Privateer UU, a Polders UImp and the Dikes are probably their UA.

Dykes surround polders, and tulips are grown in polders. It is one unique component. I don't understand the confusion. I suppose it's possible that they can also turn marshes into fertile farmland as a UA (although that clashes with the polder a bit, especially if that needs to be built on marshes). But any civ can remove a marsh.

It is important to remember that journalists aren't civ fanatics, and they often don't use the "correct" terminology when previewing features. One really mustn't jump on everything they say as being a super-secret revelation. :p

From here: GamersGlobal.de (main point is about the dutch, but the google translation is awful, so manually):

Wir wechseln jetzt zu den Holländern und ihrem Anführer König Wilhelm von Oranien. Ihre Spezialfähigkeit setzt auf die Ostindien-Kompanie – eine Handelsgesellschaft, mit deren Hilfe die Holländer eigene Luxusgüter im Handelsgeschäfte einbringen können, ohne an Zufriedenheit zu verlieren. Außerdem besitzen sie den "Sea Dagger", eine Einheit, die küstennahe Städte plündern kann, und errichten Polder, mit dem sie Neuland gewinnen und das Land vor Hochwasser schützen.

We switch now to the Netherlands with their leader King Willem of Oranje. Their special ability is the East India Company - a company, which helps the Netherlands to bring their luxuries into trades without losing any :). They also have the "Sea Dagger", a unit, which can plunder cities at the coast, and the Netherlands can also build polders, which they can use to gain new land and which protects them from floods.

Being able to sell all their luxuries without losing happiness is pretty cool. It's hard to say what they mean about the "Sea Dagger", it seems to be a melee ship, but that's not unique. Does it gain extra gold from taking coastal cities?

What do they mean when they say that the Polder gains new land? Do they mean it makes marshes profitable? Can it literally turn a coast tile into land?

Interesting. Although this only confirms in my mind that the Arabs desperately need a boost.

I think that's two clauses in a not greatly written sentence.

They have Sea Daggers
They can build Polders which...

ETA: Any Dutch person have a clue what a Sea Dagger is?

Top Bottom