how does capturing or razing an enemy capital affect your civ and game???

adobo

Chieftain
I was wondering how your game or reputation will be affected if:

you captured an enemy (AI) civ's capital and you:

1. installed a governor

2. if you razed it?

also,

any tips on how to engage on a campaign where you only have enough troops to capture cities but not enough to hold them? is it ok to just raze them or just to capture then leave them allowing them to do a CF, then recarpturing them again later - since the AI Civ would need to build up the infrastructure in the city you have captured and allowed to CF.

thanks.

whatever town you raze, it will make the others like you less.

if you cannot hold cities, maybe it is better NOT to take them, but lure the enemies offensive troops into open terrain, kill them, while you do that build more troops, then go on the offensive?

If you are powerful enough I find it best to raze captured cities. Tends to cut down on resistance. If you plan on destroying a civ anyway who cares if it likes you.

Originally posted by Praetorian

I agrre with you 1000% but sometimes this can also be useful, if you are powerful enough

I never said I don't do it :D :evil:

Do i care if they like me? Nahhhhh!

Heres my question......how does abandoning a newly captured city affect you, if at all.

If I capture a city, but really cant keep it, or just dont want it...I will choose abandon city. Usually the next turn, if I think I can hold it that long

Originally posted by Romanus
Heres my question......how does abandoning a newly captured city affect you, if at all.

If I capture a city, but really cant keep it, or just dont want it...I will choose abandon city. Usually the next turn, if I think I can hold it that long

I remember correctly from stuff I have read on here, Abandoning a captured city will affect you negatively IF the number of foreign nationals in the city >= number of your citizens. So, if you capture a size 1 city that has one foreign national and Abandon it, you take the rep hit. But, if you take the same size one city, wait for it to grow to 3 so the number of natives outnumber the foreigners, you can abandon it safely.

In other words, your citizens MUST outnumber the foreigners (2 foreign, 2 natives will generate a rep hit) to abandon with impunity.

Thanks...did not know that

How about killing off a civ completely vs letting them live on some remote island?

Does it negatively affect your relations of you completely conquer a civ?

Oddible: not the rep, but the attitude.

I never feel I get a rep hit jsut for killing them outright, but the stance will go from liek polite to caustious...

I always turn off domination victory and capture all the cities even if they suck. Then, later in the game they turn out good.

Enemy cities are a HUGE drain on resources tho - so unless there's lots of time and I've got loads of cash to build them up to their potential (and near the FP so they don't suffer from insane corruption) its too costly keeping remote cities.

I often find myself giving captured cities I don't need away to the tiny civs that aren't a threat and aren't currently in the war - so I don't have to worry about the expense of defending them while knocking an enemy down to size.

Just gotta love that Lt. Killer.:goodjob:

p.s. when do you become Capt. Killer?

It depends, if he's a second Lt. he has to get promoted to 1st Lt. first. hey Lt are you a first or second leutenent?? :lol:

For some reason I never raze a city, sometimes they can be useful if they are on the outskirts of your empire. They might be a good resource city or in a strategic location. If I start getting too big I might switch over to commie, then after that by the time corruption starts to be a problem you pretty much have the game won anyway.
;)

Just gotta love that Lt. Killer.:goodjob:

p.s. when do you become Capt. Killer?
Quick rule of thumb: 4 years from commisioning as a lietuenant, to becoming a Captain. Not hard & fast, and varies a little between services, but still a good rule of thumb.

Unless he's a Navy Lt. Then it's a LOT longer. Because a Navy LT is equivalent to another service Captain, and a Navy Captain is equivalent to a Colonel. ;)

Originally posted by Padma
Quick rule of thumb: 4 years from commisioning as a lietuenant, to becoming a Captain. Not hard & fast, and varies a little between services, but still a good rule of thumb.

Unless he's a Navy Lt. Then it's a LOT longer. Because a Navy LT is equivalent to another service Captain, and a Navy Captain is equivalent to a Colonel. ;)

:lol: let's take Navy, I just made it from Ensign (student) to j.g. (Lt. junior grade) (got my diploma), then to full Lt. as I got a doctoral work set out. :p

Originally posted by Padma

Padma, never heard of a battle field promotion?:D

Top Bottom