Enrico speaks real Venetian

I suppose it's hard to keep a totally consistent quality when working with so many translators. Naturally you're going to get some who just make it as literal as they can without much consideration for the character being portrayed and their era.

I have to say I am quite happy with this expansion's voice acting! :) There are serious issues with previous leaders, but this time they seem to have nailed every leader!

If it is true that the leader voices are much better in this expansion, it shows that it is possible to get them to a decent level by patching the voices that are not right at all. Some leaders are clearly more difficult than others, but some improvements shouldn't be all that problematic. And I am sure many historical linguistics would relish the opportunity of getting the phrases just right.

That being said, surely the developers must be applauded for the intent of letting the leaders speak their own language. I find the way the mainstream entertainment industry in the USA treats the speech of foreign historical characters to be severely off-putting. That kind of thing immediately cuts my suspension of disbelief. That is why I found the movie 'Apocalypto' to be such a relief.

If it is true that the leader voices are much better in this expansion, it shows that it is possible to get them to a decent level by patching the voices that are not right at all. Some leaders are clearly more difficult than others, but some improvements shouldn't be all that problematic. And I am sure many historical linguistics would relish the opportunity of getting the phrases just right.

That being said, surely the developers must be applauded for the intent of letting the leaders speak their own language. I find the way the mainstream entertainment industry in the USA treats the speech of foreign historical characters to be severely off-putting. That kind of thing immediately cuts my suspension of disbelief. That is why I found the movie 'Apocalypto' to be such a relief.

this this this

i find it so ironic how the characters in all the total war games speak english and to differentiate cultures, they just give them accents

the voices in shogun 2 were extremely offputting

according to Rome 2, all the Romans spoke British English and the Egyptians speak English with an Arabic accent so...

I was always bothered that Medieval 2 had the English speaking English, the French speaking French, and the Italians speaking English. I could understand it if everyone spoke English, but if you're going to try to represent language diversity, why stop at France?

William of Orange makes some very silly mistakes too. For instance, he says "I am hearing" instead of "I am listening" when you want to discuss something. It seems that the person that was hired to record his phrases wasn't really trying to sympathize. It was probably somebody from advertising instead of an actor.

What? That is exactly right, it's somewhat antiquated Dutch for "I am listening". Seems a bit weird of a complaint to have if you were also complaining about his "modern" Dutch - I think they did his voice pretty well.

William of Orange makes some very silly mistakes too. For instance, he says "I am hearing" instead of "I am listening" when you want to discuss something.

Nah, I think that was intentional. Makes him look a bit more stately and old fashioned.

Well, William of Orange spoke German as his native language and also spoke French fluently. His Dutch was probably fluent as well, but we have reasons to believe he spoke it pompously.
However, I think many historians underestimate his Dutch (especially the Belgian ones, like Pirenne for instance, who like to portray he spoke French everywhere). He spoke French internationally as was custom in his era, but to his subjects he spoke Dutch.

According to a legend when he was shot by Balthasar Gérard his last words were: "Mon Dieu, Mon Dieu, ayez pitié de moi et de ton pauvre peuple?" Very unlikely and romantic. More likely he was instantly dead.

Anyway, in Civ 5 he speaks a language close to 19th century standard Dutch as spoken in the Netherlands and that is fine by me. Dutch didn't change that much since the 17th century anyway, in fact Early Modern Dutch began to take form in the late 16th (but definitely developed in the 19th century).

I actually appreciate it when they seem to go with the language of the civilization of the time period even if the leader spoke something different. Catherine spoke German, William spoke French, Napoleon spoke Cors. But, in the end, you're playing against Russia, the Netherlands, and France. It would kind of detract from the flavor of that particular civilization if you didn't get to hear their language.

I was always bothered that Medieval 2 had the English speaking English, the French speaking French, and the Italians speaking English. I could understand it if everyone spoke English, but if you're going to try to represent language diversity, why stop at France?

They did well in Napoleon: Total War, though. What did bother me, on the other hand, is how they dropped the Japanese speech in the Shogun 2 since Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai. The rumour goes around it was due to popular demand. I can't believe why anyone would prefer to have Japanese speak English (makes no sense whatsoever).
I understand the majority doesn't understand a word of Japanese, but it's interesting that only a few (being a Western PC game, never released in Japan) can could translate it and share it with the community.

I remember when Shogun 2 just came out, many Westerners got interested in Japanese history and were discussing the Sengoku Period, its battles, its politics, its leaders and whatnot. Always great when games can do that to fans.

I actually appreciate it when they seem to go with the language of the civilization of the time period even if the leader spoke something different. Catherine spoke German, William spoke French, Napoleon spoke Cors. But, in the end, you're playing against Russia, the Netherlands, and France. It would kind of detract from the flavor of that particular civilization if you didn't get to hear their language.

Well, Napoleon started as a Corsican nationalist who hated France. However, aside from having been made fun off for his Corsican accent at military school, he spoke it fluently (as it's the language he received all of his education in) and he came to associate himself with France more and more. His Corsican roots also greatly aided him on his campaigns in Italy, because he next to French he could also speak a language the people understood there.

Catherine also spoke Russian fluently and corresponded in that language as proven by all of her letters.

What? That is exactly right, it's somewhat antiquated Dutch for "I am listening". Seems a bit weird of a complaint to have if you were also complaining about his "modern" Dutch - I think they did his voice pretty well.

If that is true, I did not know it. Do you happen to have a reference for this? Still it would be funny, because it would be the only antiquated bit in what he is saying.

And what about this one? When he is making an offer he says something like "Ik heb hier iets dat u enig belang zal inboezemen". In modern Dutch would be wrong, I think. It should be something like "Ik heb hier iets dat u enige belangstelling zal inboezemen". But perhaps this construction is also something antiquated?

Yeah, I was exaggerating there a bit to make my point clearer. I still think a Frenchman who speaks with a French accent is more appropriate than one that speaks a Corsican accent. It's unrealistic for Napoleon, but better for France.

Then again, I'm not a fan of the emphasis of personality in the game. Rather than Napoleon declaring war on you, France declared war on you.

I'm ridiculously annoyed the be few errors in Ramkhamhaeng's speeches; most glaringly his proposals. You've already said hello! Stop replying to all my offers with hello. Then there's the intro...

I can't believe they got that wrong; It's nowhere near a dead language, and I hear there's a small but significant Thai-speaking population in the US. I feel sorta insulted they got Latin and Venetian right but managed to mess up Thai....

Actually, the recording of Ramkhamhaeng's voice was done in Montreal and thus, the voice actor is a Thai Canadian.

While the recording studio is in Montreal, not all people who recorded there are from there. For example, the guy who spoke Nuahtl was not.

Well she sounds more like a modern girl rather than a powerful empress from tang dynasty. And btw, manchurian is from qing dynasty, and it is not chinese. Although you are right about that, the language speaking in ancient china is nothing like today. But at least they should use the classical chinese, which even high school student can understand it.

People rarely speak in Classical Chinese... unless they're reciting poetry. I do agree that they could have used more formal, antiquated vocabulary though. It's quite disconcerting to have her refer to herself with the informal 'I' (我). Or even asking “What is it you want today". She needs to sound more venemous :lol:

They did well in Napoleon: Total War, though. What did bother me, on the other hand, is how they dropped the Japanese speech in the Shogun 2 since Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai. The rumour goes around it was due to popular demand. I can't believe why anyone would prefer to have Japanese speak English (makes no sense whatsoever).
I understand the majority doesn't understand a word of Japanese, but it's interesting that only a few (being a Western PC game, never released in Japan) can could translate it and share it with the community.

I remember when Shogun 2 just came out, many Westerners got interested in Japanese history and were discussing the Sengoku Period, its battles, its politics, its leaders and whatnot. Always great when games can do that to fans.

I heard there were people complaining to the developers that they cannot understand Japanese and they want the Samurais speaking English or else they will cancel their orders or something silly like that. Unfortunately, i think we have to accept that many people just don't care about history and culture. A Shamfur Dispray indeed!

Hence I really appreciate Civ V making an attempt to make it authentic. I myself love how Theodora speaks even though i have no idea what she is saying. Though i feel something is off with Wu Zetian. Her haughtiness is there but it is slightly grating to me IMO.

@Geppenguin Nice to see a fellow Singaporean:goodjob:

If that is true, I did not know it. Do you happen to have a reference for this? Still it would be funny, because it would be the only antiquated bit in what he is saying.

And what about this one? When he is making an offer he says something like "Ik heb hier iets dat u enig belang zal inboezemen". In modern Dutch would be wrong, I think. It should be something like "Ik heb hier iets dat u enige belangstelling zal inboezemen". But perhaps this construction is also something antiquated?

Psalm 141:1, Oude Berijming (1773):
'k Roep, HEER, in angst tot U gevloden,
Ai, haast U tot mijn hulp en red;
Hoor naar de stem van mijn gebed,
Daar ik U aanroep in mijn noden.
Older Dutch often used 'hoor' in situations where in modern Dutch only 'luister' would be appropriate.

His Dutch is too modern (he speaks 18th-19th century Dutch while this is the 16th century William), but it's not completely bad.

Not sure whether 'belang' was appropriate in older Dutch or not.

I'm ridiculously annoyed the be few errors in Ramkhamhaeng's speeches; most glaringly his proposals. You've already said hello! Stop replying to all my offers with hello. Then there's the intro...

I can't believe they got that wrong; It's nowhere near a dead language, and I hear there's a small but significant Thai-speaking population in the US. I feel sorta insulted they got Latin and Venetian right but managed to mess up Thai....

"Put up with it"

Gajah Mada spoke Old Javanese that even modern Javanese will find difficult to master. I applaud Firaxis research team.

But my favorite is still Harold Bluetooth. The guy's dialogue when declaring war is as if he asked you to go for drink!

Too bad he speaks Morden danish. It would be more realistic if he speaked Icelandic as it is very close to the Language spoken at that time.

Top Bottom