Two settlers start - second capital gets palace!

Renergy

Warlord
Perhaps the following is well known..

Here's what happened: I started with two settlers (both "none" home city), founded a capital (Rome), started building settler in it and used the second "none" settler to build roads to "prepare field" for expansion. Produced settler in Rome, found second city (Caesarea) - and still had the "none" settler around, basically as a "road builder".

Then Greeks came, took Caesarea, then Rome... I was already expecting the "centuries later.." screen.

BUT thanks to the fact I still had one "none" settler, the game went on. I was able to found another (capital) city (Carthage) with this settler. To my surprise, it even had a Palace. :crazyeye:

A refreshing tidbit, for me. Might seem pretty basic, but I don't remember experiencing this during all those years playing civ! :)

EDIT: Attached a savegame (this time Romans overtaken by Americans) for those who want to try it.

Attachments

• CIVIL4.MAP
    12.4 KB · Views: 72
  • CIVIL4.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 60
Haven't really noticed this. The best possible exploit seems to be to build your first city, sell the palace and disband it by building settlers. In the meantime, use the second settler to prepare the ground for your real capital. So you start several turns later, but with terrain improvements and up to 200 extra cash. Nice.

Haven't really noticed this. The best possible exploit seems to be to build your first city, sell the palace and disband it by building settlers. In the meantime, use the second settler to prepare the ground for your real capital. So you start several turns later, but with terrain improvements and up to 200 extra cash. Nice.

How can you do this? Building a settler in your first city doesn't disband the city. I know this because I usually sell the palace to buy 2 settlers in my first city :)

Are you playing on chieftain difficulty? That doesn't let you disband cities at all, settlers just don't come out before the city raises its population to 2. From warlord onwards, building a settler in a 1 size city will disband it.

EDIT:
Well, just tested it. It is as you say, and I didn't know that was the case... That's an even sillier exploit.

Top Bottom