New player I own gods and kings need help.

Mr_jones

Chieftain
So I bought this game and almost all the dlc when it was on steam sale. I'm trying to get into the game but i don't know what I should or shouldn't do. I used to play civ 4 but this just feels completely different.

What is a good civ to play as for a newbie?
What research should I focus on?
When should I build a settler?
What policies shoukd I focus on?
Whats the best way to conquer a city?
What do I do about citystates?
Should I help them and do quests or just conquer them?
Can I just destory a city state and build a new city?

Civ 5 G&K hmmm

* America (pretty straightforward).
* If you play on lower difficult levels, you can afford to go wide, but keep on to techs that enhances science.
* Build Scout, Monument, Shrine, Worker, Archer/Warrior/Spearman (something) and then your city have (hopefully) grown big enough (at least pop 3) to build a settle.
* In G&K then the go Liberty, then it is up to tactics.
* A bunch of catapults and a bunch of melee units. Some say archers but if you get good couple of promotions to catapults and melee units (swordsmen) they will upgrade fine.
* Take then if they have something that you can't live without or ally with them.
* You can't raze capitals.

Tradition policy tree first, then commerce, then rationalism IMO. And if you still have culture left over, go for Order.
Ally them.
Never conquer city-states. A good rule of thumb for civ5 players to keep in mind. The benefits of allying city-states far outweighs that of having a single extra city that will, for several turns initially, be in anarchy.
You could, but once again, that's not a very good idea...

Most of your questions don't have just one answer, it really depends how you want to play the game and what type of victory you're going for. When going for a culture victory, how you play and what civ to play as will be very different than when going for a domination victory. That said, here are some answers:
As in all Civ games, getting up the tech tree as fast as possible is the best way to pull ahead of other civs. In order to do that, you need to build the tech buildings (library, public school, etc.) as fast as possible and have as much population in your cities as possible. Prioritizing the research that will get you to the tech buildings is a good strategy.
It is almost universally acknowledged that the Tradition social tree is the best of the 3 starting ones. I like the 1st Honor policy for the early culture boost, but better players seem to skip it. Once Rationalism unlocks, the policies there that boost your tech are must have. I like the first couple Patronage policies that help increase and maintain your CS influence. Some people like the Piety tree.
You need siege weapons to wear down a city until one of your melee units can take it. Unfortunately, siege weapons aren't very useful for anything except taking cities, but cities are very hard to take without one. I try to have 3 siege units before I attack a city.
I never, ever conquer city states. You can't destroy them, you can only capture them or liberate them. Keeping them as allies gets you lots of nice things and is essential for a diplomacy victory. Conquering them earns you a big warmonger penalty so the other AI civs will hate you.
Keep a close eye on your happiness and your gold. You really don't want either going negative.
Hope that helped some. Oh, and BNW really adds to the game.

What is a good civ to play as for a newbie?
Greece, Poland , France

What research should I focus on?
go to philosophy as soon as possible to get the national college after that Usualy go striaght to education if you want to go to war use the liberty finisher to get a great scientist and plant a accedemy and go either to chivalry or machinery, steal, physics.
Basicly allways go for science techs

When should I build a settler?
when you reach about 4 population

If you want growth early on go tradition if you want a wonder in the medieval era go liberty for a free great engineer (or scientist for early warmonger tech)

Whats the best way to conquer a city?
Siege units and range units and use melee units to fortify near the city to take the city( basicly surounding the city with meleen units and range unit bombarding them

Try to befriend them. give gold and complete quests

No noth worth it you have more benefit of beeing friends with them

Nope you can't raze city states

I would add Rome to newbie friendly. Rest of the questions are already answered. :)

The questions was a little bit hard to answer due to memory problems :)sad:). OP said that he have Civ 5 and G&K, not so the tactics would be different than in BNW.

I have some more questions.
Should I play with barbs on?
If so how do I deal with them?
I had two cities and could see in the area between both no black and yet a barbarian encampment spawned.
Embassies do I want these with everyone or just with some people?
Also how come the AI wont trade embassy for embassy? Example they wanted an embassy in my place and were gonna pay 25 gold I counter offered embassy embassy and they said no.

* Barbs are fun and also are good for XP for your army.
* That means go out and take them out
* Barbs and barb camps can appear in any "fog of war" area or in any area that you have revealed but can't see (darkened areas).
* Embassies enhance your relationship with AIs (a little bit) and also later on, enables you to have other diplomatic agreements.
* The AIs perhaps value embassies more than 25 so perhaps give him an additional gold sum or something will do. Eventually they will offer it.

Top Bottom