Just bought brave new world and am wondering....

Mr_jones

Chieftain
What happened to river tiles? How come I don't get 1 gold for being on a river.

I actually avoided getting BNW for a while because of this change - it was well publicised in advance by Firaxis.

Early money isn't too much of a problem though with the introduction of caravans - send them off to a cs or nearby civ. You can still trade luxuries of course.

They got rid of the extra early gold from a number of sources. Carvans kind of sort of help the issue, although on some maps its almost impossible not to tank anyway. I recently rolled the most frustrating start ever as Brazil, which *seemed* great (unusually hilly and lots of sea resources) until 3 barbarian camps spawned on islands off the coast. I reloaded that game about 10 times from turn 0 and could never fix the fact that my gold output was trash, thanks to constant Barbarian blockades of all my gold and food tiles.

All that gold got replaced with the trade routes. If firaxis only could've kept both like they used to in civilization 2.

Scanning the thread ...

Every caravan is a waste of a cargo ship slot with Cargo Ships providing 2X as much as everything even when the destination is on the same land mass.

And in early game when no one has hooked up their resources, you are much better off with food cargo ships; you can reassign the route later to gold after the value goes up.

You're also supposed to build a couple of ships to clear the local pirates before building cargo ships.

But gold is supposed to be a problem in the early game in BNW; it was intentional to stop the tradition tactic of buying settlers with 500 gold each; and it succeeded. (Except in rare cases of having El Dorado near you or being Spain with any nearby natural wonder.)

They probably shot past the hole though; but this is fixable in a mod by removing the maintenance cost of Granaries, Water Mills, Stables, and the other ancient era buildings that require a local resource to build.

Every caravan is a waste of a cargo ship slot with Cargo Ships providing 2X as much as everything even when the destination is on the same land mass.

Not always the case... frequently on continent maps I still require a few Caravans because some cities are landlocked (either mine, a CS or another civ's) and on my current game (Continents - Standard size) I only have two landlocked cities and despite that my highest gold TR is a land route from my capital to Samarkand (it's about 2 GPT more than a sea route from another one of my cities with East India Company, Colossus and Harbor due to river bonus and variety of resources - the other city shares two resources with Samarkand while Madrid has none in common)... granted when ship ranges increase again, I'll be able to use a Cargo Ship from my capital to Samarkand, but right now it's a few tiles too far because of the peninsulas.

Top Bottom