PolyCast Episode 190: "And What Not"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
On and on and into Season 8! The one-hundred-and-ninetieth episode of PolyCast, "And What Not", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-host "SilentKnight13". Carrying a runtime of 59m59s, the summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m18s | Forum Talk
Raging about a lack of compensation in rushing Wonders of the World with Great Engineers and expending Great Prophets simultaneously in rushing to found the last available religion in Civilization V multiplayer, and then having a preference to found an Ideology as part of the game's Brave New World expansion pack (09m24s).
- 16m03s | Senate
What approaches to following when trying for a Culture Victory followed by a focus on Brazil as "kings" of the jungle and analyzing Assyria as technology "thieves", all in CivV: BNW.
- 41m33s | Open Mic
Sharing the results of the show's 2013 Feedback Survey and responding to supplementary messages.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Making contact and slowly but surely remembering a Civilization V developer telling an employee of its publisher that they are missing a point.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

As for the topic of guest co-hosts, I'm personally a little iffy. On the one hand, I absolutely loved it when the Firaxis Devs came on to discuss BNW. (and having them back on would by FAR be my #1 "things I would like Polycast to do in 2014" list) On the other hand, many guest co-hosts often have significantly worse mic quality than the regulars, and when that happens I would actually just prefer the guest co-hosts politely bow out and come back next week when their audio is better.

As for the topic of guest co-hosts, I'm personally a little iffy. On the one hand, I absolutely loved it when the Firaxis Devs came on to discuss BNW. (and having them back on would by FAR be my #1 "things I would like Polycast to do in 2014" list) On the other hand, many guest co-hosts often have significantly worse mic quality than the regulars, and when that happens I would actually just prefer the guest co-hosts politely bow out and come back next week when their audio is better.
Thanks for your feedback, Matt, and for continuing to listen. :) I can understand where you are coming from on this.

Hope you enjoyed the premiere of PolyCast's eighth season!

I came to this party late but I'm happy to listen in each time now, thanks team

I came to this party late but I'm happy to listen in each time now, thanks team
Greetings, new listener. :) Was this the first episode of PolyCast you've listened to?

You can always catch up any to all previous episodes of the show from its archives.

They didn't actually have a Jan 13th podcast without discussing the Mega-Doom-Game-Ruining-Exploit, did they? It's not in the summary, but I can't imagine it not being discussed ...

Just had a few questions. Will there be changes in the polycast dates and times? Will the survey that was done last year for the polycast change the polycast in other ways?

Heh, I won third-placed something. Is there a prize? :mischief:
Bragging-ish rights.

:mischief::D

They didn't actually have a Jan 13th podcast without discussing the Mega-Doom-Game-Ruining-Exploit, did they? It's not in the summary, but I can't imagine it not being discussed ...
This episode was recorded on January 4th and released on the 11th -- the next episode is to be recorded this Saturday.

Just had a few questions. Will there be changes in the polycast dates and times?
As in when episodes are recorded and released? No: they are to continue to be recorded every other Saturday starting at 12PM ET (North America).

Will the survey that was done last year for the polycast change the polycast in other ways?
To better understand your inquiry and to be more specific in response, in what respect(s) were you thinking the results of the 2013 survey might change PolyCast?

There were time preference questions in the survey which made me believe that there could be changes.

There were time preference questions in the survey which made me believe that there could be changes.
Oh, the recording frequency question? The results were neck-and-neck for weekly or biweekly being the first preference of survey respondents. Combined with co-host availability, and mine as editor as well, means that PolyCast will continue to be recorded biweekly as opposed to weekly. (But not monthly or even quarterly either as were the other survey response options. :D)

Too bad you didn't go to weekly, but i suppose bi-weekly should prevent the participants from getting burned out.

Too bad you didn't go to weekly, but i suppose bi-weekly should prevent the participants from getting burned out.
On behalf of myself and my fellow regular co-hosts, we appreciate your most kind endorsement of our efforts. :) Indeed, it is the commitments and availability of time that led to our decision to keep the show on a bi-weekly as opposed to going to a weekly recording schedule.

If you guys need any additional co-hosts, let me know - I've hosted a couple before.

Thanks for talking about my feedback in the show! Perhaps I'll solve some of my 'problems' by going back to the old shows... :)

If you guys need any additional co-hosts, let me know - I've hosted a couple before.
Thanks for the offer :) -- it will be considered. (Though rare, we have had others in the past make a similar offer and yes they then appeared as a guest on one or more episodes of the show afterwards.)

Thanks for talking about my feedback in the show! Perhaps I'll solve some of my 'problems' by going back to the old shows... :)
You're welcome, and :D.

Top Bottom