You have no contested borders - but when do you?

RaidandTrade

Prince
I frequently see the diplo message saying I don't have any contested borders - even if we're right next to each other. Question is when I'd see the opposite (I.e., when would they consider a border "contested")?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are literly next to you if you borders touch eachother.

Olso the covet you're land modifier can pop up even if they are far away so keep that in mind

Hmm, the opposite of this is "they covert our lands" which can occur when the AI has lands 4 times the size of you and if half way across the globe :/ I think in general, no contested boarders means the AI doesn't want your turf, and not plan to murder you. Coveting your lands your lands ususaly spirals into haterid, so I'd keep an eye out for them nasties :D

Just because you're adjacent to the AI doesn't mean they wish to expand your direction. The AI is sometimes fickle about what it considers it's "domain" or "sphere of influence".

Current game, Portugal and I are on opposites sides of a continent. Portugal conquered Korea and razed their city next to Fountain of Youth. They never resettled, so I sent a settler WAY over there and claimed it (playing Spain and I wanted my 20 Happiness). Portugal has never complained about border proximity or purchase of land tiles.... Arabia (over on my side of the continent) made a comment about where I chose to settle in lands that belonged to them...

Arabia also complained when I settled an island between Portugal and Austria (Austria being the closest part of second continent to the far side of my continent). If anyone has had rights to complain about where I chose to settle, it was Austria or Portugal... but neither considered my choices infringing on their domain.

Same goes for CS competition... I quickly allies the four CS closest to me. Never had complaints from neighboring civs, but when Carthage (from second continent) sailed by my lands, they turned around and said something to me about my relationship with Buenos Aires (which had been my ally since Ancient era, now it's Renaissance when Carthage met them) saying that it was within THEIR sphere of influence.... (times like these I wish I could suggest the AI leaders play a game of "hide and go **** yourself").

Good question, it often seems entirely random (maybe it is?)

Strange. Coveting lands I've seen but didn't think that meant the border was contested. Coveting in my mind meant they were just greedy b@stards whereas border contention I thought might be more like a dispute as to ownership. I guess I need to apply so Civ dev logic to this one!

Coveting seems to be tied to how warmongery the AI Civ is. (Hello Shaka!)

Thanks for shedding light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom