So long CiV

Mesix

The Allfather
I have discovered Europa Universalis 4!

I am in the midst of learning EU4 and it has been a bit of a steep climb, but well worth the effort. The Paradox forums (very much like these forums) are very helpful and newb friendly.

I watched MadDjinn play it and that was like watching paint dry. That kind of games are probably (hopefully?) more fun to play than to watch, but for me a big :thumbsdown:
So when it comes to strategy games I will not jump on that bandwagon. Edit: but I will play some Thief when it comes out, not a strategy game but thief games are always a good way to relax :)

Europa Universalis's main claim to greatness is that one of its regions is called Moron.

I don't know if I would call Europa Universalis any more complex then Civilization.

However it do have its appeal but so do Civilization.

I play them both, and love them both. They're both strategy, but they're both VERY different kinds of strategy. Civ really excels in the building aspect. Envisioning your empire exactly how you want it, and making it happen is a lot more detailed in Civ and a bit lacking in EU4 which is a little more strict in what a nation is. still allowing the player to forge their own path, but not able to go quite so far from reality as civ.
And, perhaps not as important to some, but something I absolutely adore, Civ is just bursting with style and aesthetic appeal, everything looks and sounds amazing, it's like a festival dedicated to the celebration of history and our species. Civ's biggest weakness is diplomacy however...

... and this just happens to be Europa Universalis' biggest strength in my opinion. The political scheming, backstabbing, and intrigue that a game of EU4 subjects you to is absolutely amazing. All the different diplomatic states, casus belli system, the fleshed out sue for peace system... all of it is top notch and adds so much depth to the game. A big reason why people don't get into it too easily too I think. They start out as small isolated nations thinking that's a good way to learn the game as it will be a simple introduction, but really the best way to learn is to jump into the middle of the HRE, or onto one of the major colonial nations and just get inundated with everything going on around you.

They're both excellent games, I could understand not having time for both (or even one, for that matter), but alternating 1 game in Civ5, 1 game is EU4 gives the best of both worlds.

They are both very diferent beast, I keep bouncing between both Paradox games and Civ, they offer diferent things. EU4 is one of those game that, if you are only watching can be tedious, but if you play them, you get absolutely inmersed.

To be honest, Civ should borrow a few concepts from Paradox and adapt them to Civ, mainly when it comes to diplomacy.

Make sure you use the BetterUI mod... by me. :D

Seriously, the original fonts are a killer. Use BetterUI.

And play both.

Make sure you use the BetterUI mod... by me. :D

Seriously, the original fonts are a killer. Use BetterUI.

And play both.
Your mod rocks! I can now comfortably play at 1920 by 1080.

I am also amazed on how quickly you updated it to work with the new patch!

I play them both, and love them both. They're both strategy, but they're both VERY different kinds of strategy. Civ really excels in the building aspect. Envisioning your empire exactly how you want it, and making it happen is a lot more detailed in Civ and a bit lacking in EU4 which is a little more strict in what a nation is. still allowing the player to forge their own path, but not able to go quite so far from reality as civ.
And, perhaps not as important to some, but something I absolutely adore, Civ is just bursting with style and aesthetic appeal, everything looks and sounds amazing, it's like a festival dedicated to the celebration of history and our species. Civ's biggest weakness is diplomacy however...

... and this just happens to be Europa Universalis' biggest strength in my opinion. The political scheming, backstabbing, and intrigue that a game of EU4 subjects you to is absolutely amazing. All the different diplomatic states, casus belli system, the fleshed out sue for peace system... all of it is top notch and adds so much depth to the game. A big reason why people don't get into it too easily too I think. They start out as small isolated nations thinking that's a good way to learn the game as it will be a simple introduction, but really the best way to learn is to jump into the middle of the HRE, or onto one of the major colonial nations and just get inundated with everything going on around you.

They're both excellent games, I could understand not having time for both (or even one, for that matter), but alternating 1 game in Civ5, 1 game is EU4 gives the best of both worlds.

Agree. Diplo in EU games are terrific. I especially love small diplo moments when you can get Casus belli for declaring war, for several reasons: going into Holy War, fighting for the crown, taking over the throne of another nation (via royal marriage for eg.) ... and I also love how many small countries\nations are included in the game. :goodjob:

I was really close to "pulling the trigger" on EUIV during the holiday Steam sale. After watching several "let's plays" on YouTube, though, I decided to pass. It's like doing accounting work, but with a map. Doesn't look fun at all.

i would be in the middle of putting 1000 hours into EU4 (like i have already with civ5) if i only had a nicer computer, and either dual screens or a much bigger monitor. game looks amazing.

I was really close to "pulling the trigger" on EUIV during the holiday Steam sale. After watching several "let's plays" on YouTube, though, I decided to pass. It's like doing accounting work, but with a map. Doesn't look fun at all.

It's nothing like that at all :confused:. You're just looking at the screen, seeing numbers you don't understand and getting intimidated. To be honest, Civ probably requires more mathematical predilection than EU does. The numbers are really just there because the game goes out of its way to be transparent in that regard. You could probably replace every positive number with the word "More" and negative number with the word "Less" and still be able to play the game just fine.

Cleared civilization and never came back. There really are other great games out there.

Cleared civilization and never came back. There really are other great games out there.

I have discovered Europa Universalis 4!

Well thanks for letting us know guys. Please do keep us updated about which other games you are playing on this Civilization forum. In other news, I had an orange today for breakfast and I may have either an apple or another orange for breakfast tomorrw. Don't wanna derail the thread, so I'll make a different thread when I do choose

Top Bottom