Questions about a few things relating to Promotions

GuyFromThtPlace

Chieftain
So, as the lazy person I am I really don't want to go through a whole game or a resource deprived late start to fact check what I'm asking, so instead I hope one of you guys has an answer.

If one builds Barracks, the Alhambra, Armory, Military Academy and the Brandenburg Gate in one city will a unit built in said city that has Drill in it's promotion chain be able to access a promotion that requires Drill III in that same turn?

A question that ties in with the last one: If a Lancer or Anti-Tank Gun has Blitz and is eventually upgraded to a Helicopter Gunship will the promotion still work or will it become useless like when Crossbowmen used to upgrade to Riflemen and their promotions wouldn't work?

I've never really been able to get promotions on my units because I mostly avoid conflict until the mid-late game and when it becomes inevitable, so I'd be happy if I could get an answer without having to play for a long time with no guaranteed success.

Yes...(?). If you have all the experience giving buildings in one city than yes. This only works for melee ground units though like horseman and warrior upgrade chain, all those units when build will have the 60 experience AND the Drill I promotion. So it's perfectly possible to give you unit the Drill III promotion.

Barracks, Armory and Military Academy provide a total of 45 XP and Brandenburg is another 15, for a total of 60 XP. That is enough for 3 promotions (15XP, 30XP and 60XP levels), which can take you through Drill III. Since Alhambra provides Drill I (with no increase in XP cost for further promotions), you can select Drill II and Drill III, plus one additional promotion (e.g., March).

If your question is whether a unique unit that comes with Drill I when built (e.g., Ethiopian Mehal Sefari) will start with Drill II if built in your Alhambra city, the answer is no.

A question that ties in with the last one: If a Lancer or Anti-Tank Gun has Blitz and is eventually upgraded to a Helicopter Gunship will the promotion still work or will it become useless like when Crossbowmen used to upgrade to Riflemen and their promotions wouldn't work?

Blitz does carry over to Helicopter Gunship. As for Crossbowmen promotions not working back in the day, it's a similar issue with Chariot Archers to Knight (assuming you XP one up), most of the ranged promotions become useless when you lose a range attack; however, Logistics still allows you to attack twice. I can't recall if it stacked with Blitz (been a while since I've played a game that didn't have some form of cross-class promotion or equivalencies to clear up this mess) but I do not believe it did (just like March and Repair do not stack meaning an experienced Mounted unit keeps being offered a useless Armor promotion later).

Top Bottom