Israel, Philistines and Biblical Civilizations

Leugi

Supreme Libertador
The idea of this project is to encompass some of the most important Biblical Civilizations of the Levant. For now we only have Israel and the Philistines, but it will keep growing :goodjob:

To go to the download links, click on the following images:

Really nicely done :)! I like the leaderhead, UA, in fact everything. A good job has been done on the Macabee icon as well! When I modded Israel, I opted for the menorah for the symbol only because the star of David is used for Judaism - that doesn't mean that you shouldn't by the way!

I feel honored that someone with such great civs as Tomaketh likes it hehe...

And yes, I know using the Star of David for both the Civ and the Religion could look odd, but in the end its far too iconic to avoid it.

I can purchase the Maccabee as any civ, and since it's cheaper than Missionaries, I keep getting false informations about the ability of a faith purchase. Other than that, the civ is solid!

Hmn... Yeah, just noticed that...

It seems that the faith purchase without belief doesn't even check if the unit is an override of another civ... Well, removed the purchase without belief until I find another solution for that... Updated in the first post's link

Re icon, remember that Firaxis have also made the same icon problem with Arabia (Islam) and Spain (Christianity), both the chosen religion of their respective civ. So there's no need to worry about that. Or you could make their chosen religion Tengriism. Just kidding.

Re icon, remember that Firaxis have also made the same icon problem with Arabia (Islam) and Spain (Christianity), both the chosen religion of their respective civ. So there's no need to worry about that. Or you could make their chosen religion Tengriism. Just kidding.

Actually, they use similar symbols for the religion and the civ but the symbols are never identical. For example, Arabia and Islam both use the Star and Crescent symbol but their respective symbols face opposite directions. Christianity and Spain both use similar crosses, but Spain's cross has thinner arms with hooked ends, whereas the Christianity cross gets thicker towards its ends.

So, it's not really a problem to use the same symbol but there should be some variation between the icons. In this case, the two Star of Davids actually look a little different as well. The religion icon kind of looks squished compared to your civ icon.

Well, now that the symbol is no longer a problem, I should ask some opinions for the next update.

• First, I managed to learn how to add music to a leader. So, any ideas? Or could I use a music that is already ingame, like, say, Dido's leader music?
  • I would like to add something else to the Trait, aside from the actual bonus. Something that gifts great prophets on every era or something, any idea?
  • I would like to change the UB. Perhaps to a Kibbutz or a Bamah (High Place), but don't know what attributes it would have... It could also be an improvement (the farm bug makes it an unlikely idea though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKl_zf818dg

i found a youtube of the national anthem of Israel, this one is instrumental. The only thing wrong with is it seems to just abruptly end, as if it was uploaded wrong.

There are also many other national anthems of israel that are sung, which may also work.

No clue on a war theme. Maybe i'll stumble onto something.

Good job.

This is modern or ancient Israel?

If it is Ancient Israel, Kibbutz isn't a good idea for UB and Israel's Anthem isn't a good idea for music because both are from the time of Modern Israel.
I have no ideas for music, but maybe a lyre music will be a good idea/

And Kind David had red hair, not brown hair

(Sorry if I made mistakes. I don't know English very good)

Good job.

This is modern or ancient Israel?

If it is Ancient Israel, Kibbutz isn't a good idea for UB and Israel's Anthem isn't a good idea for music because both are from the time of Modern Israel.
I have no ideas for music, but maybe a lyre music will be a good idea/

And Kind David had red hair, not brown hair

(Sorry if I made mistakes. I don't know English very good)

Yeah, the thing is this is certainly focused on Ancient Israel...

However, the way some Civs work they tend to have a focus on both ancient and not ancient (Say, Ethiopia with its Stele, or Denmark)... Of course, that depends on what we want with the civ... In this case, Israel is obviously going to be highly faith-centered, and so a Kibbutz may not fit anyway...

And I didn't know that little fact about David, interesting... Will change that.

If you want something modern, I recommend a UU: Palmach Soldiers or Merkavah Tank.
And David's hair was curly, like in Michaelangelo's statue of David.

Sorry if I made mistakes again.

Yeah, the thing is this is certainly focused on Ancient Israel...

IMO there isn't a difference between ancient Israel and modern Israel. Israel is just another case of a nation that got conquered and then got its independence back centuries later. There are many nations that did this, throughout history, Examples are Egypt, Greece, Persia (Iran), and Armenia, all of which at various times during it's history got conquered and occupied before getting independence. Israel is no different.

I wouldn't know how to find music for Israel and have it represent the ancient version, so I just searched for the most obvious thing, their national anthem.

Try one of those crazy tunes the rabbis belt out on those yak horns.

The Song of Moses (Deut 32) or the Song of the Sea (Ex 15) are good candidates.

As for their start bias, they would tend toward plains+desert, with a great deal of sheep, incense, and citrus (stand-in for olive oil). The next-nearest spot would be desert with multiple sets of salt and copper. Jerusalem would probably spawn on a small floodplain heading down into a lake.

I think the Synagogue should be a religious building, like the mosque or pagoda. +1 happiness, +2 culture, +2 faith, 1 artist slot.

The unique building could be the Yeshiva, the Jewish religious school. (Replaces library, no maintenance, extra +2 faith). For the Jews, science and faith don't conflict the way they do elsewhere.

An interesting thought occurs to me: perhaps Jewish Great Prophets could initiate Golden Ages?

Try one of those crazy tunes the rabbis belt out on those yak horns.

The Song of Moses (Deut 32) or the Song of the Sea (Ex 15) are good candidates.

Sounds interesting...

I also found this that could work:

Link to video.

I still ought to find a War music though...

As for their start bias, they would tend toward plains+desert, with a great deal of sheep, incense, and citrus (stand-in for olive oil). The next-nearest spot would be desert with multiple sets of salt and copper. Jerusalem would probably spawn on a small floodplain heading down into a lake.

Sadly, start-biases are really hard-coded and I can only set their priority to deserts, not with so much specificity.

I think the Synagogue should be a religious building, like the mosque or pagoda. +1 happiness, +2 culture, +2 faith, 1 artist slot.

Yeah, I've considered something like that as a possibility... Maybe even name the faith something like Promised Land and have the Synagogue have a bonus related to territory or something...

The unique building could be the Yeshiva, the Jewish religious school. (Replaces library, no maintenance, extra +2 faith). For the Jews, science and faith don't conflict the way they do elsewhere.

That's an interesting idea, it would certainly work!

An interesting thought occurs to me: perhaps Jewish Great Prophets could initiate Golden Ages?

I don't know about that though... Mostly, Jewish Prophets usually came in order to denounce what was wrong and against their Law, and announce a future prosperity with a Messiah, so they could technically be related more with dark ages rather than a golden age...

I noticed that David's face looks familiar.
Did you take his face from a part in Casimir's face?

...I have decided to abusse the fact that the new Poland Leaderscene was revealed to use it as a base for David.

That I did hehe... it is partially changed so it doesn't look exactly like him though...

Top Bottom