Israel, Philistines and Biblical Civilizations

Hi Leugi, my name is Fran, from Spain. I have a problem with Israel Civilization. After playing a while, the game freezes and I can not go on. This only happens to me with this Mod, which is the only one I've tried so far. Thanks

I'm just wondering, can I download the 3D leader head and it works on the civilization

Yep! Ekmek's nice leaderscene is completelly compatible with this mod :goodjob:

Hi Leugi, my name is Fran, from Spain. I have a problem with Israel Civilization. After playing a while, the game freezes and I can not go on. This only happens to me with this Mod, which is the only one I've tried so far. Thanks

Under what circumstances did the crash happen?

I do not know. The game goes well until, suddenly, freezes. Sometimes I click the mouse several times and the game eject me, and sometimes I have to restart the pc. I do not get any warning about app crash. I used different graphs and your Mod in English and translated into Spanish, and always fails. I have an Intel Core i7 with 8GB ram. Thanks

Do you still need a new city list? I have a good source for one and I want to make one if you still need one.

Edit:
I got bored and did it anyways. I tried to make this list based off of Ancient Israel during the time of David, Soloman and the era up to before roman rule

Israel City List
Spoiler :

Jerusalem:c5capital:
Hebron
Gaza
Jericho
Bethlehem
Nazareth
Meggido
Beer-Sheba
Judah
Hazor
Michmash
Caesarea
Emmaus
Tirzah
Gilgal
Joppa
Shiloh
Ashdod
Ashkelton
Samara
Gezer
Gibeon
Tamar
Beth-horon
Geba
Gath
Jabesh-Gilead
Dan
Ziklag

Than I thought, "Hey I wonder what a city list for Palistine would be like? So I make on of those too. There is a little overlap on the Israel and Palestine city list. I made sure that those cities were the same point down the list so it's just who builds it first that gets it.

Palestine City List

Spoiler :

Al-Quds:c5capital:
Tel Aviv
Gaza
Jaffa
Jinin
Nazareth
Tulkarm
Beer-Sheba
Tiberias
Al-Ramla
Baysan
Acre
Khdera
Rosh Pina
Rafah
Netayna
Hadera
Ramallah
Ariha
Nizzana
Gerofit
Khan Yunis
Kevar Sava
Ashqelon
Qiryat Shemons
Safad
Metulla
Lydda
Ibbem

But wait, I'm so good I made a city list for the Philistines too!

Philistines city list

Spoiler :
Ashdod:c5capital:
Ashkelon
Gaza
Ekron
Gath
Yurza
Gerar
Ziklag
Sharuhen
Azeketh
Tel Qasila
Aphek
Azor
Gibbethon
Timnah
Joppa
Eltekeh
Lachish
Libnah
Ashdod-Yam
Dor
Gederoth
Gizmo
Goliath
Jabneh
Ramat Matred
Eglon
Rapha
Bet Shemesh

I really think that some time down the line, a Palestinian civ should be made. The whole conflict over the holy land is very serious and honestly, saying that the Israel civ is just baised off of Ancient Israel isn't enough. Ancient Israel and Modern Israel is the same Civilization. Having an israel Civilization and not having a Palestinian civ is like saying that the Palestinians don't deserve a free state.

An important aspect of the conflict is that both side have a strong nationality. I think the solution to the conflict is a Two-State Solution that ,akes both nations a free state. Both Israel and Palestine should have their own countries, and to reflect that, I think both should be a civ.

As for the Philistines, that's my own wishful thinking. I'm sure the city list will be useful to someone somewhere.

Amazing! Will have a new version wrapped soon enough. Thanks a lot ser general.

I kind of believe Palestine and/or Philistines could be interesting, will see if I can get some fun enough ideas for them.

Something I've whipped up:

Philistia (Abimelech)
Start Bias: Plains
UA: Week of Festivals
+1 :c5culture: Culture and :c5happy: Happiness in the Capital for each Wine tile improved in the empire.
OR
Plantations built on Wine and Incense and Pastures built on Cattle gain +1 :c5production: per era.
UU: Peleset Host (replaces Swordsman)
Starts with the Amphibious promotion and a unique promotion, Ravager, that means the unit heals double the usual amount from Pillaging enemy improvements. Does not require Iron.
OR
UB: Seranim Courts (replaces Palace)
Standard Palace Bonuses. Seranim Palaces are built in the first five cities you found, but may be purchased for 1000 :c5gold: Gold in other cities after an Ideology is adopted.
UB: Brewery (replaces Colosseum)
+2 :c5happy: Happiness and -2 :c5unhappy: Unhappiness. +10% :c5gold: Gold and -10% :c5production: Military Unit production per Wine tile worked in the empire.

These ideas focus on two things. The first is the fact that archaeological evidence shows the Philistines were huge consumers of alcohol and had an incredibly extensive brewing industry. Indeed, Samson's wedding feast in the Bible is purported to be based on the week-long benders that were apparently matter of course among the Philistines. The second is their connection to the Sea Peoples, referenced by various documents from all over that part of the world and pretty much the reason why so many kingdoms of the Bronze Age collapsed in what is termed the, er, Late Bronze Age Collapse. Of course, that connection goes out of the window in the event that people prefer the Seranim Courts to the Peleset Host (so named because I can't find much information on the Philistine military and instead went for what the Egyptians called them); that's based on the original setup of Philistia while it was having its prolonged spat with early Israel. There were five major cities in total, called the Pentapolis by later scholars, and each was ruled by one of five seranim who all met in a council to enact national decisions. This got the boot once they'd been conquered by the Assyrians: the rulers were replaced with vassal kings instead, because in real life, as with the game, the Assyrians were argumentative angry dicks.

I hope this is of any use at all. =]

All good ideas. I honestly didn't have any ideas for a Philistine civ, other than a city list.

As it turns out my list is wrong. I knew that the Philistines didn't have any one seat of power, but I did know there were a few "big" settlements. Unfortunately I assumed that the most importent ones were all on the coast. I think the 5 settlements or Pentapolis as they call it should be the first 5 names on the city list. I'm going to edit it to fix that.

As for the skills, I like the first UA better, though it should work with more than just wine to make it less situational.

The palace thing is just brilliant and unique. The only thing that might be a problem, is how passive it is. It just sorta happens, it's not something you have to build.

I'm curious to what other people think.

So, based on it, what about:

The Philistines
Leader: Abimelech
UA: Mishkeh Feast: Whenever a new luxury resource is connected to the empire, the first 5 cities receive an instant ammount of Faith and Gold. (dependant on era)
UU: Peleset: Replacement for Spearman (because Bronze). May embark and starts with the Amphibious promotion. Earn Gold upon attacking a city (like Privateers).
UB: Brewery: Replacement for Colosseum. +1 Happiness. +1 Faith on Wine and Wheat. Units trained on a city with a Brewery receive a special promotion that grants them a free move while the empire is happy.

So yeah, I liked Scapegrace's ideas, UA manages a reference to the 5 philistine City-States; but also to their week-long festivals. Then the UU is a good reference to the Sea Peoples. Finally UB also related to the festivals, but also on the rather warmongering they had back then.

Pretty much a Gold/Faith/Militaristic civ :D

So, based on it, what about:

The Philistines
Leader: Abimelech
UA: Mishkeh Feast: Whenever a new luxury resource is connected to the empire, the first 5 cities receive an instant amount of Faith and Gold. (dependent on era)
UU: Peleset: Replacement for Spearman (because Bronze). May embark and starts with the Amphibious promotion. Earn Gold upon attacking a city (like Privateers).
UB: Brewery: Replacement for Colosseum. +1 Happiness. +1 Faith on Wine and Wheat. Units trained on a city with a Brewery receive a special promotion that grants them a free move while the empire is happy.

So yeah, I liked Scapegrace's ideas, UA manages a reference to the 5 philistine City-States; but also to their week-long festivals. Then the UU is a good reference to the Sea Peoples. Finally UB also related to the festivals, but also on the rather warmongering they had back then.

Pretty much a Gold/Faith/Militaristic civ :D

I really like these. Glad I could help! One thing, though; I'd prefer it if Philistia (the generally accepted name of the state; the Philistines were the people who lived there) got Culture from the UA and UB rather than Faith because, well... because I'm a sucker for ironic jokes, partly, but also because the evidence of brewing and viticulture among the Philistines was vast; it wasn't just for sacraments, like it was for so many of their contemporaries, but a vital part of their culture. That's just my opinions, though, it's your Civ. =]

Also, the promotion from the Brewery is awesome. It synergises really well with the Peleset's grab-bag of promotions, and I personally can't wait to nick a boatload of cash from the AI via a helicopter full of screaming Sea People. Plus, a collaborative effort between these guys and the upcoming Philippines civ (showin' 'ere, guv) would be very powerful indeed, considering just how good the Brewery has the potential to be in the right city.

(PS: The multiple palaces thing? That was an idea originally cooked up for a Chimor civ that never really got off the ground. Feel free to appropriate it for any future ends. [=)

The Chosen People unique ability should let missionaries act at settlers that can found cities within the cultural borders of other civs. Inquisitor would gain the ability to evict foreign culture.

The Chosen People unique ability should let missionaries act at settlers that can found cities within the cultural borders of other civs. Inquisitor would gain the ability to evict foreign culture.

And if you can figure out a way to do that with SQL or LUA, do let me know. I mean, it's probably possible, considering some of the civs in Patria Grande have unique Missionaries with interesting effects, but using them as Settlers is not only broken as all hell (consider playing against them on Deity for a moment), it'd be an absolute bloody nightmare to implement. Same with the Inquisitor thing. Doable, maybe, but worth doing? I'd say not. Israel's pretty good as is, in my opinion. =]

Hey, so I just encountered Israel in one of my games (for the first time) and David was accompanied by Harun al-Rashid's voiceover. Is this intentional? What's the proper bit of xml to adjust this?

UPDATED on 28/06/14!

When leader graphic settings are set higher than "Low" Ekmek's leaderscene shows. Removed Al Rashid's voice. Fixed the city list, and added TSL support

BTW Ekmek, when will you make a tut for 3D leaderscenes? :D

BTW Ekmek, when will you make a tut for 3D leaderscenes? :D

I have a draft one. But really leaders are not much different than units just a lot more materials. If you've done 2 or 3 units I'm pretty sure you can do a leaderscene. Especially, if you use my generic flat background.

Hm, I have met David (updated version of the mod) and he didn't speak any lines, even Harun's. I had my music volume set at 0, but speech at 80-90.

Yup, that was fixed on the update.

Its great mode and great idea,but i expected a more modern Israel....
Anyway, yeshiva has nothing to do with destert. Instead 2 faith from desert tiles you can change that to +2 faith from the yeshiva and +2 faith from any building provide science in the city.

Top Bottom