Regna et Res Publicae - Hypereon's Civilizations

Hypereon

He was a Consul of Rome!
Map of the Union of Kingdoms and Republics in Anno Domini 2015
Spoiler :

Hypereon's
Regna et Res Publicae - Kingdoms and Republics

Welcome! This is the thread for my modded civilizations, starting with Mannerheim's Finland and Urho Kekkonen's Finnish Republic. Some of you may still remember my Finnish Civilization from 2012, which has been outdated for long because of my school and life. Unfortunately I hadn't been able to release anything for two years. Well, that's to end now. This is basically an update - not - a complete remake of the original mod, and it requires BNW to be played. All my upcoming mods will require Brave New World, and I have no desire to make Vanilla or G&K versions.

All civilizations support:

JFD's Cultural Diversity, YnAEMP True Starting Locations

Civilizations:

Finland - Mannerheim (BNW) Download Subscribe

Supports following mods:
Sukritact's Events & Decisions, Bingles's Civ IV Traits, JFD's Cultural Diversity, Ethnic Units, Tomatekh's Historical Religion mods (Protestant Denominations), Ryoga's Unique Cultural Influence, Yet Not Another Earth Map Pack
Credits:
Spoiler :
Hypereon: Design, Code, Writing, Artwork, Unit art
Jean Sibelius and various orchestras: Peace theme (The Swan of Tuonela), War theme (first part of Finlandia), Rune music samples from various pieces.
Rune background art from various Finnish national romantic paintings of Akseli Gallen-Kallela, B. A. Godenhjelm, Robert W. Ekman and J. Blackstadius
Civilopedia texts from Wikipedia.
Special thanks:
bane_: Great guide to basic Lua!
JFD, Pouakai, Sukritact: Valuable examples for Lua in their mods.
Any helper I forgot

France - Napoleon III (BNW) Download Subscribe

Supports following mods:
Sukritact's Events & Decisions, Bingles's Civ IV Traits, JFD's Cultural Diversity, Mercenaries, ExCE, Piety & Sovereignty, Ethnic Units, Ryoga's Unique Cultural Influence, Yet Not Another Earth Map Pack
Credits:
Spoiler :

Hypereon: Design, Code, Writing,
Artwork, Unit Reskin, Sound Editing
Janboruta: Artwork (Zouave, Haussmann’s
Renovation, Leaderscreen)
bernie14: Unit Model
JFD and sukritact: Help with Lua and SQL
Jean Béraud: Wonder Concept Art
Camille Saint-Saëns: Music
Jacques Offenbach: Music

The Republic of Finland - Urho Kekkonen (BNW) Download Subscribe

Urho Kekkonen - Finland
Jääkäri (Rifleman): A cheap gunpowder unit unique to Finland. It starts weaker than the Rifleman it replaces, but it gains free experience every turn stationed on the territory of a civilization you have declared a friendship with.
Paper Mill (Factory): Finnish unique building. +10% Production. Unlike the Factory it replaces, it doesn't give any base Production. Instead, it yields 2 Production, 1 Gold and 1 Science for every worked Forest tile.

Additional info:
Spoiler :
Because I couldn't get JFD's Dynamic TopPanelYields work, the UA bonuses granted from the friendships don't show up in the Top Panel. They still are added to Golden Age progress and Culture in the beginning of every turn.

Credits:
Spoiler :
Hypereon: Design, Code, Writing, Artwork, Unit skin
Jean Sibelius; Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Mariss Jansons: Peace theme (Andante Festivo)
Hans Zimmer: War theme (First part of Roll Tide from the movie Crimson Tide)
bernie14: Unit models
Civilopedia texts from Wikipedia.

Special thanks:
bane_: Great guide to basic Lua!
JFD, whoward69: Helping with various pieces of working Lua.
JFD, Pouakai, Sukritact: Valuable examples for Lua in their mods.
Urdnot_Scott: The idea for the UA.

To play, either subscribe in Steam or download the ZIP and extract to your Mods folder - as with every other direct download mod. Enjoy!

Feel free to comment, review, download, suggest - anything you want. Please no 'This is OP' without reasoning. :)

reserved

reserved

Been looking forward to a BNW version of your Finland! Great work with the icons btw. they look great!

Looks great! Have you play-tested the Mannerheim civ for balance on the Sauna/UA combo? It seems like you could go for a faith-culture victory fairly easily.

I don't care about Finland! I'm over hyped because of the future civs!
(Hanestic league and Rome, right?)

Yay, Finland! Now I have all the Nordic civs I could possibly need. :D I guess the Roman civ you are planning is Rome under Julius Caesar?

Looks fantastic! It's great to finally have Finland back in the game.

There's a small bug where you can choose the rune singer as another civ if you get to choose a free great person, though I think JFD found a fix for this kind of thing in his Papal States mod.

Welcome back! This is awesome, the art is great! I'll comment on balance after I've played a round.

Looks fantastic! It's great to finally have Finland back in the game.

There's a small bug where you can choose the rune singer as another civ if you get to choose a free great person, though I think JFD found a fix for this kind of thing in his Papal States mod.

Could anybody describe how JFD fixed that? It would be quite helpful. :)

Thanks for your praises! :) What do you guys think of the UA of Kekkonen? I was struggling for quite a long time with making up a suitable one for him... The thing is to do five embassy buildings, which are given in a random order when DoFs are made. Each one will give a certain benefit linked with sciences, espionage and defense.

Thanks for your praises! :) What do you guys think of the UA of Kekkonen? I was struggling for quite a long time with making up a suitable one for him... The thing is to do five embassy buildings, which are given in a random order when DoFs are made. Each one will give a certain benefit linked with sciences, espionage and defense.

I would personally add 'when at peace' to the requirements for the embassy buildings bonuses, or maybe higher yields at peace? I think that would fit the whole angle pretty nicely, especially with how actual Finland worked at the time.

Could anybody describe how JFD fixed that? It would be quite helpful. :)

Some simple Lua:

Code:
function BlockRuneSingers(playerID, unitID)
	if unitID == GameInfoTypes["UNIT_RUNE_SINGER"] then
		return
	end

return true
end
GameEvents.PlayerCanTrain.Add(BlockRuneSingers)

I would personally add 'when at peace' to the requirements for the embassy buildings bonuses, or maybe higher yields at peace? I think that would fit the whole angle pretty nicely, especially with how actual Finland worked at the time.

This sounds good, since you're actually not really neutral by declaring friendship. Declaring friendship would potentially anger your friend's enemies and instigate a war, so adding it as a requirement may not be such a good idea :p I do like the idea of higher yields at peace, though.

And the new Finland is nice, I remember seeing the GK version and I was dazzled by the art (still am!), nice job.

This sounds good, since you're actually not really neutral by declaring friendship. Declaring friendship would potentially anger your friend's enemies and instigate a war, so adding it as a requirement may not be such a good idea :p I do like the idea of higher yields at peace, though.

And the new Finland is nice, I remember seeing the GK version and I was dazzled by the art (still am!), nice job.

I like this idea too. Somehow it should represent the Finnish Cold War policy of active neutrality, like keeping up friendship with both USSR and the Western bloc. As JFD's Switzerland benefits from neutral relations, Finland should benefit from being friends with as many nations as possible, angering as few as possible. Have to make this somewhat sensible, though. What should be the exact wording of this UA?

At this point it could also make sense to reveal the Jääkäri's ability.

Spoiler :
Jääkäri: A rifleman replacement that gains experience every turn when stationed on a civilization's territory you have declared friendship with.

Historical reasons: search the Finnish Jäger movement.

Some simple Lua:

Code:
function BlockRuneSingers(playerID, unitID)
	if unitID == GameInfoTypes["UNIT_RUNE_SINGER"] then
		return
	end

return true
end
GameEvents.PlayerCanTrain.Add(BlockRuneSingers)

A thousand thanks! You'll see this in the next update.

How to test if a tech is researched, btw? It seems to need a 'Team' defined somehow. I'm thinking of having rune singers to need Drama and Poetry, as I noticed the early tourism could give a Culture Victory accidentally far too early.

It could be great also to make the Runes give Faith instead of Tourism. It just feels to be very hard to code.

Have to make this somewhat sensible, though. What should be the exact wording of this UA?

I had a couple of ideas in mind when I proposed it, either:
"Receive a free, unique embassy building in the capital when declaring friendship with another civ, up to 5 times, embassies grant special bonuses when at peace."

""Receive a free, unique embassy building in the capital when declaring friendship with another civ, up to 5 times, which grant cumulative awards for consecutive turns of peace."

""Receive a free, unique embassy building in the capital when declaring friendship with another civ, up to 5 times, bonuses from the embassies are increased during peacetime."

Or you could just stick something else on the end relating to neutrality/peace, like:

"A fifth of the happiness of civilisations with which Finland has a declaration of friendship contribute to Finnish Golden Age progress while at peace" (So if Finland and America have a declaration of friendship, and America has 20 happiness, Finland gets +4 to its golden age progress.)

"+1 culture in the capital for every 10 consecutive turns of peace"

"When signing a declaration of friendship or a research agreement with another civ, instantly receive a relations boost with all friendly or allied city states"

"+2 empire wide happiness for every civilisation or city state with which Finland has established an international trade route." (referencing the freedom of trade associated with failing to align with any bloc.)

In my games the city states keep demanding Rune Singers even though I'm not Finland. Can you going to fix that in an update please?

Top Bottom