I Fixed The Maf Error... Here Is How!!

Just wanted to let people know that Microsoft has issued a fix for this issue on Windows Vista as of yesterday.

More info and the download for this fix are at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

Enjoy.

thank you IKilledYourDude

i've had Civ4BTS for months on my computer with XP home editon and it was very stable. no crashes. a few days ago i installed Vista(clean install, not upgrade) on the same computer. after installing Civ4BTS the game started to crash with 'failed memory allocation' errors. while looking for a way to fix it, i found this thread with your post with the link to the microsoft fix for Vista memory allocation problems with games

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

it worked :) . i've played a few sessions of more than 4hrs each and no crashes.

thanks again

Thanks for the tips. Since I've ungraded to Vista 64-bit I keep getting this error with 32-bit apps. not anymore.

Thanks again
-=Mark=-

Will this method still work with BTS to help the game run smoother?

I don't think it makes it run any smoother. It just keeps it from crashing after long sessions as it tries to acceess more than the 2gb XP allows for normal programs to run.

if you want smoother running you'll need better graphics at least 2gb RAM maybe a faster processor and if you're brave a little overclocking.

sorry I didn't have better news for you.
-=Mark=-

IKilledYourDudei've had Civ4BTS for months on my computer with XP home editon and it was very stable. no crashes. a few days ago i installed Vista(clean install, not upgrade)

Do You mean Vista 64 bit or 32?
Do You mean Home edition or other?.. the version You installed... and do You play MOD games or basic...
How many ram You have?
I've my vista home edition parked, cause i was waiting to upgrade to 4 gBytes my pc to buy another HD and to upgrade to 64 bits... BUT if You tell me that I could already begin to use it, I could be very very happy..tell me please

Do You mean Vista 64 bit or 32?
Do You mean Home edition or other?.. the version You installed... and do You play MOD games or basic...
How many ram You have?
I've my vista home edition parked, cause i was waiting to upgrade to 4 gBytes my pc to buy another HD and to upgrade to 64 bits... BUT if You tell me that I could already begin to use it, I could be very very happy..tell me please

I don't see why you would have any problems playing. at worst it may crash after a few hours, but should play no problems.

you might list your computer specs and version of windows so we can help you better

-=Mark=-
ps. I have this running on my old computer - XP home with 512mb ram, GeForce 5200, 1.4Ghz Pentium III, 40GB HD. It's a little slow, but I turn off as much animation as possible in the options menu.

I forgot to mention that I don't play with the mods. I still trying to conquer the Nobel level before I move on to the next ones.

I forgot to mention that I don't play with the mods. I still trying to conquer the Nobel level before I move on to the next ones.
This is the reason then: the Maf is a probelm with the MODs.. I have a pentium 6600, geforce 8800 gts 320, 320 HD, and 2 giga ram, xp home edition (that came with the old computer- i still never installed the vista home). I play the regiments and ethnical diversity mod. the troops have 9 soldiers, and I made some modifies in it as join new civilizations (with Brazil Civ with his national Himn as diplomacy music), change the flags with national flags, and I tried to play with a giant real map of the world with 35 civs...:rolleyes: I like it so... but the MAF occurs in the best of the game :mad: But the game goes in crash also if i play a simple game with this mod (basic number of civs, random map) but i can play more time than the other way... bye

well you should be able to run it with the setup you have with no problems at all. Just backup before switching incase you need to go back for whatever reason. I dual boot and have both XP and Vista on the same machine.

You'll need to make sure you manually install Vista Hotfix KB940105. There are actually several that need to be installed for nVidia products, but all are installed through windows update except this one. and this one is specifically listed as a fix for Civ4.

Here is the link to nVidia if you want to check it out:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

If you click on the KB940105 it will tell you more specifically about the patch and the download link. It mentions it fixes the 2gb limit and how virtual memory uses it.

Hope this helps
-=Mark=-

well you should be able to run it with the setup you have with no problems at all. Just backup before switching incase you need to go back for whatever reason. I dual boot and have both XP and Vista on the same machine.

....If you click on the KB940105 it will tell you more specifically about the patch and the download link. It mentions it fixes the 2gb limit and how virtual memory uses it.

Hope this helps
-=Mark=-
Thank You Mark, my idea was, infact, about dual boot, anyway my hd is almost full, so i'm waiting when i'l buy another one and 2 gb memory more (almost 150 euros for all, here) i've read that the upgrade to 64 bit is the less onerous in this my project cause it should costs almost 20 euros (if the information was right). So I'll test then the vista beginning with the game to pass gradually to the new operative system. All my friends are not happy about Vista (they used 32 version) in their new pc and returned all to xp except for one. Bye
Pritz.

I just wanted to share my experience civ fans, cause I really hated the same error:mad: . My suggestion will not be based on a technical explanation (Im not a computer/software guy), but I hope you may benefit from it. I really love that great game and Total realism mod, but I could not play because of that MAF error. I tried many things, and found a practical method to "bypass" the error. Firstly I have changed the autosave frequency to "1" from Civ4Config file of which shortcut located under Warlords directory: you have to find there
; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 4
lines and change 4 to 1. (I do not recommend to adjust 0 for disabling the autosave function, your screen will have a tendency to freeze, believe me, I tried that option).
With that adjustment your Civ4 will autosave each turn and also you have more frequent chance to see "Memory allocation error" screen. But here is the trick: after each turn, you have to exit the game, and restart again, load the latest autosave, play and end the turn. You wont have an error. Later exit the game again, and repeat the same procedure...If you forget exiting the game "in the heat battle", you may have MAF error. But dont worry, you have the latest autosave, but before using it, dont forget to delete the faulty autosave of which size is about 2-3 kb, because software will try to rewrite on it and will generate an another error.

With this method I have reached to modern age on a Huge map with 20 civs in Total realism mod, my autosaves exceed 2 MB. My OS is 32 bit XP, RAM 2 GB, and video card is 256 MB. I dont wanna say that method will work on every machine or with higher graphic qualities, and I don know how that "phenomenon" could be explained, but it works. Maybe bad coding of this great game is trying to hold data of more than one turns on RAM, Im not sure. I'm leaving the explanation to computer guys.

I would really want to hear good news about that method is also working in other machines. Enjoy the game funs. :goodjob:

another little trick I used to use is lowering the graphics setting and lowering the screen size. typically I go into options and uncheck the special effects features first and all animations. The biggest reason the MAF occurs is from the game running with everything it can in memory to speed play time, but then the graphics card requests memory and it ends up requesting more memory than you have left to use and then crash!!

so if you can live with low quality graphics and a small screen to play the game, this usually will work.

Hope this helps
-=Mark=-

The file isn't working anymore, just wanted to tell.
I just got the error for the first time in my life, and it just happened while playing, not saving or anything. Damn annoying, even on my first epic game in months as well just when I was doing so fine. Marble and Stone on my little island. All gone :(

I guess I can google the file, thanks for the guide!

Wondering about one thing, do I have to do this everytime? Or just hte first?

The file isn't working anymore, just wanted to tell.
I just got the error for the first time in my life, and it just happened while playing, not saving or anything. Damn annoying, even on my first epic game in months as well just when I was doing so fine. Marble and Stone on my little island. All gone :

I guess I can google the file, thanks for the guide!

If you quickly go back into the game and choose "Load Game" you can open the folder SINGLE located on the left sidebar and then two more folders should pop up underneath it (AUTO and QUICK) then open the AUTO folder and pick the most recent save. The game periodically "Autosave" files while you play. But it you start up a new game it clears the AUTO folder for the new game you started.

Wondering about one thing, do I have to do this every time? Or just hte first?

Not sure on the question, but for my little quick fix, it should save all your settings permanently until you change them again. If you are referring to the original posters fix, it too is permanent until changed.

Does this help the late game slow down at all? :confused:

I have 2 GB RAM, a 64 bit processor, but running Win Vista Home 32-bit.

This idea certainly didn't help the slow down at all. :sad:

Well i have vista 64bit with 6GB of DDR2 900MHz and i can tell the big change and smother frame rates since upgrading i am Now using 9600GT in SLI with 4 Raptors in raid0 my late games run some what faster!

Some people seem not to understand some things
1) You can get a MAF also without mods! I know this out of own experience
2) you game slows down over time because of CPU usage, but the real big slowdown, is when windows starts to use the pagefile extensively!

I don't know why, but I have 4gigs of ram, and around 800MB civ loaded in the memory, windows already starts to swap huge amounts of data into the pagefile. While still more then 2Gigs are free! 800(civ)+1.2Gigs for other software and OS..

So what i did, switch off the pagefile, and the game ran alot faster!
now, while most people still have only 2gigs, i wouldn't advise this, but if you have enough money, buy a few Gigs additional, and switch off the pagefile, it'll speedup the game...
remember:"other programs eat your ram as well! and without the pagefile enabled, watch your RAM usage very closely!!!"
if your 4Gigs isn't enough, upgrade to win 64bit, and install 6, or 8, or whatever you need...think the ages of pagefiling are history with the current RAM modules...but, everyone his own choice he :)

actually the only thing this patch does is allows Civ4 to allocate more than 2GB of ram to itself and that is all. in fact it will slow your computer down more if anything since it causes you to use more memory.

remember windows only allows you to use 2GB of ram for any one program. this fix tells windows to let CivIV use 3GB.

if your graphics get laggy there a couple things you can do. one I try first is to minimize the game and it will clear out some of your video card's memory plus purge a lot civ out of page file also. Your hard drive may churn for quite some time doing this and could take a long time if you have 2GB or less of ram(sometimes more than 5min).

turning down your graphics setting in the game or playing at a lower resolution will help tremendously. otherwise, turning off any animations will help the most.

upgrading your video card can obviously help also.

turning off your pagefile will cause programs to die and as well cause windows to die as it wants more memory and it can't allocate it so windows will error out and crash. if you have 4GB ram you are usually safe unless you run several different programs at the same time.

if you have two hard drives on your computer then you could set a second page file on it so windows can better manage it in case drive C is busy with one task then it can use the other hard drive when needed.

btw.. I have a quad core overclocked from 2.4GHz to 3.04GHz with a 8800GT 512MB plus 4GB RAM and I too get end game lag. I do have a 24 inch monitor and play in windowed mode at 1920X1200 resolution with all graphics options turned up in the game. but a quick minimize then maximize back to the game and it is fine for a while.

let me know if you need clarification. I just woke up and I'm not too coherent yet - hehe
-=Mark=-

MarkJohnson said:
actually the only thing this patch does is allows Civ4 to allocate more than 2GB of ram to itself and that is all. in fact it will slow your computer down more if anything since it causes you to use more memory.

Hmm so your sayin if the CPU has more L2 cache then the problem is less severe? This Makes sence to me as L2 is the most precious of all memory and its for the CPU so it dosn't need to call up the tedius VM process or page file.
Here I wrote a lenghy paper on this matter which coincides with my ongoing research into proper tech utilization to enable fastest possable turn times for this mono based game platform. (the entire civ franchise to date)

Essay on ultimate civ computer
By Jack Handy (Now in Grammer checked edt!):goodjob:

Most civplayers don't realize they pass up the best computer for Civ evey time they reach for a fancy quadcore costin 10 times the price. Pentium 4 sqeezed out one late model that shook the civving world and became civ4's bloated tech complaint forums greatest secret.

This model with the same enhanced 65nm Architecture as all new computers today, this same model with 64 bit support so to utilize 3gigs of ram when you play, is the ultimate civving rig.
You can blame the media misson of overblown concerns regarding Megahertz myth for civ players having thought the rigs that followed the peak evo of the Pent4 where greater for civving.

Seems to me anyone with atleast 2mb of L2 should be at better advantage. That what the Pentium4 cedar mill has but it also uses anywhere from 4.0 7.4 ghz to zip through the 31 stage pipeline, and who cares how long the pipe is if the L2 supply never has you needing to make the trip? Its got the bases covered for a tiny slice of a quad cores price.

The 'clock speed is king' days have been left behind. True on almost all front cept civ4 was made before this was realized. We presume this applied to everything because sites like tom's thumbs used games like WW, Quake, and all other non turn based players to tell us so. :D
It makes sence from Intel view To reset the consumer upgrade clock starting again at the bottom with pent3 derived smaller pipestage 'M series' to get people upgrading every year again.
Clock speed was at a peak but thanks to todays 65nm and corrective software like ATI's CoreCell cooling applications, that peak can deliver the best turn speeds obtainable for a game designed 2 years before, when blueprints for civ4's engine utilizion where drawn up.

I am talking about the Cedarmill of course. Its an early conroe with 3.6ghz base speed that uses insane levels of electricy which requires a custom cooling system and software to draw back on heat, something that disn't escape a lot of critics but that also had nothing to do with performace comparisons with civ4 using hot or not CPU's.
It comes down to this, The top level Fast turns are a luxery not for the amount a new fancy computer costs but for the price of the fuel it takes to operate the older yet more adapt for turn clipping speeds pinnicle pentiums. This is whats not understood by vast majority because its such a small article exception to what otherwise is a written rule: Pent4 is ancient inferior design in almost all appilcation, almost all. Untill you own a cedarmill and see a coredue in action with the same game like I have, You will not knowt youve passed up on the long seeked out solution to fix interturn deley. What else won't a Pent 4 at this rare level do that you need to buy a 1200$ quadcore for? Surf the net? Write a letter? lol..Its a joke where only the insiders in pc home industry are laughing. PLease do some reseach

This "cedar' system coming in around 300 dollers thanks to drastic cuts to all 'pathetic single core' rigs after the coreduo was realised to be the greatest rig by majority, which it is for you electro bill. Its not for the best strategy franchise of all time though. So Take you pick but don't complain to the game when you made the wrong choice. Charge the industry with deception or Id blame yourself for going with the flow.

Compare the coredue with the Cedar playing civ4 and they both have 65nm CPU microarchitecture with 2mb of L2, they both have up to 3 gigs of ram, they both can have a good X800 XL 512MB Graphics Card, but the cedar churns AI processes at 3.6 ghz and the coredue 2.4.
This is without Overclocking. The highest speed ever obtained was on the cedarmill not a dualcore,. It was at 8.0.
In fact The single core is still used today in the OEM market provinding quite impressive processing to massive consortiums running specialized tasks that handle mega loads of calculations at blazing speed. Sounds like something needed for Civ4 mp interturns!". Yes Surprise! the mono is still the choice for most businesses applications in programmers eyes. They don't need that extra 2 or 3 engines that delivers nothing to the one concentrated task at hand like a refined 'to further stages' mono core which is represented at home by the Cedermill. Think about it

This rig is are only solution for the big mods that are still to come. Site google '3.6 ghz' or 'Cedarmill' '631', '641', '651', or '661' and 'slow' :) With the thousands of complaints attributed to this one area. I promise you will never find one player who was using the Cedar Mill 'single core' Conroe :)

Thanks to every'one' for listening. lol

I felt It would be good to post my thesis here before my tests/hobby in this feild was complete. I have based my claims on civ3 using all hands on research. I used all 3 models of pentium(Northwood /Prescott/ Cedermill) and ran the same huge Rise n rule type mod with each of them having the same max benifit g card and ram in place.
Ghz was the first indicater of improved times but when speed was the same ,the higher L2 cache made the final push for top speeds. Likewise when I arrived at the point of having in my possesion 2 systems with the identical L2 cache amounts, that being 2mb each, the one with inferior microarchitecture,(prescott) proved it was inferior in the turn speed areas compared to the Cedar's more efficent clock speed that pushed faster times on the same ghz speed. I used the same saved turn #434 modern era. I should note the Cedarmill could also be overclocked to a much faster speed then the Prescott and been done with much less noise and heat, though it had a better coolin system to enhance this abilty.

The Cedar is so fast its hazards include epics transcending past mega sizes with such rapid rushing interturns, weaving such complex deep thinking atmospheres that time to stop and think if you should eat or go to the bathroom never gets the chance to sink in. :eek:
Im very Serious.
Once waits are taken out as a go along megamap factor, you never get a mental break from the many swirling thoughts that go with these huge apexes of interwoven intricacys. This especailly true if its all new material like a Rise n Rule mod played on a first run and fully backed by complete pedia.

NOw you see why I stick to playing with civ3 unoffical patched/modded but soon I plan to buy BtS to continue my hobby/research into civ turn times using the identical except more ram intensive, civ4 formulation. Look forward to an update by this summer!

Could someone tell me what is MAF? I don't know if I am getting it.

Top Bottom