R.E.D. World War II development thread

i forgot to mention in the last post, egypt needs the pyramids, and istanbul needs the hagia sophia.
yep, thanks, I'll add them !

edit : bug list added in second post, if you find others or anyone know how to fix the red ones, you're welcome :)

Oh i have another suggestion, i think it will be great if you can create a kind of objective systeme for each major power. So when you complete an objective you can be rewarded, and a splash screen can appear and tell you whats your reward.

Exemple (Germany): You must capture Paris before June 1940.

Reward: Boost morale of all your troops for 15 turns and lowered the morale of frenchs troops until they recapture their capitol.

And this can be the splash screen

Attachments

• hitler-a-paris-photo-couleur.jpeg
    hitler-a-paris-photo-couleur.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 186
yep, this picture was what I planned for final Axis victory, but I like the idea of intermediate objective :D

I had some ideas about a mission system, which in fact is more or less the same thing.

if your planning to do something like this let me now, i would love to help you to find objective and do screen splash, but for modding im not really good. I try to convert some civ4 unit for your mod with delivrator tutorial but i fail miserably :(

Will try to do some icons next day

Hello Gedemon,

just started a game today with France.

First impression : the intro is great ! and the map looks very good.

On the gameplay :

Making the colonies puppets cities is a great idea I think : that would avoid England declare a protection on Algeria for example :)

The french infantry in Algeria should be Foreign Legion, north africa was the playground of this military corps.

The french army was almost non existant at start :

1 tank division in Ajaccio (historically would be better placed in east of France)
1 destroyer in Ajaccio
1 Battleship in Nice
1 Submarine in Marseille
1 Infantry in Sidi bel Abbes
1 Fighter Squadron in Paris
1 Bomber Squadron in Paris

The Germans came in 1939, I was wondering how to halt the german divisions and in fact they took Strasbourg and Metz in no time (the Ai was playing well with the bombers !) and the R35 from Ajaccio had to retreat to Paris.
After Metz they tried to push direct for Paris but they left their bombers far away behind the front line!
I bought 1 R35 and 1 infantry, 2 R35 were completed by 1940.
Now at turn 24 (1941) the front line is back to Metz and I have managed to kill 1 german infantry and 1 panzer division.

In 1940 Mussolini declared war on me and took Nice. I called back one R35, bought another infantry and with the help of the battleship Nice was recaptured in no time.

England is sitting safely in her island, I don't saw them, not even a ship. Always nice to have them as allies :)

It makes sense that France has less tanks divisions than Germany but some infantry should be there.

As for the tanks : in 1940 the main tanks in the panzer divisions were panzer I, II and III.
The panzer IV would account for 15% of the division in most cases.

I don't know if you plan a tech evolution in weaponry but I think it would be nice to have the PzKW III mixed with PzKw IV as early unit
and the PzKw IV mixed with Panther or Tiger as late units.

At first I thought that France was too weak.
I'm still thinking that more units would be more realistic but now I think that germany lacks some units for a real big push.
Some divebombers would be nice, bombers are great vs cities but divebombers and fighter-bombers really made the difference respectively in the campaign of France and after the 6th June 44.
Perhaps some paratroopers as well, Germany used them in the early war (to take Kreta for example).

The Maginot Line to close this first impression :

Perhaps create some units with 0 move points for France and place them where the line was.
So if germany really wants to come through Strasbourg she has to destroy those units but can't benefit from a defense structure.

This mods looks really good for a ver1, it is really promising.

great job !

Hulfgar

thanks for your comments, and you'll be happy to now that's in V.2 some of your proposal are almost done (Sidi Bel Abbes is not on the map "par pur hasard" :D )

It'll have more units placed at start, and more logically, but it's still to have some toys to play with and test the code, the balance will be made progressively but is not the priority yet.

Panzer II and III may not be in the next beta yet, but they are planned and you'll have to "research" the Panzer IV and above via projects.

For testing this, I've added the Hawk75 as starting fighter for French, and the D520 couldn't be build until you've made the corresponding project. To research a project, you'll need a military academy. To build a military academy, you'll need barracks. To build barracks... well, at least you can directly build barracks ;)

I've added the Ju88 in the same way for Germany...

About the puppets idea, it's a good one, yes. But for what's planned in long term, I really need separate states in north Africa.

That's really promising Gedemon !

It'll have more units placed at start, and more logically, but it's still to have some toys to play with and test the code, the balance will be made progressively but is not the priority yet.

Yes I though the reason was something like that :)

Now the AI really has a problem to build an army by buying the units :
I have wiped out the germans divisions that came in France, liberated Metz and Strasbourg and now I am attacking Frankfurt (1942).
No reinforcement came for Germany, in this time I build 4 units and bought another 4.

Italia has the same problem.

On the polish border Germany keeps bombarding Dantzig but whithout sending land units.

The Royal Air Force finally came to help after France and England were declared Allied forever.

One thing that you can't probably change : the AI is really dumb with ships !
HMS Hood keept firing on Italian tanks while the Littorio fired safely at her from within the city! The Hood was finally sunk (at least this is historically accurate :crazyeye: ).

Speaking of ships perhaps you could add the french basis of Mers El Kébir in Tunisia.

An idea :

why not includ the Naval Counterattack mod in yours ? that would not make the AI smarter with ships but the outcome would be more realistic.

Another idea :
you can mix the skins of various panzern to reflect the diversity in the german divisions, here an example with vanilla tiger, panther and kingtiger :

Early divisions could have the Panzer I, II and III
Late divisions the Panzer IV, Panther and Tiger.

That's mostly esthetic but since germany has so much models available it could be nice to see them in game.

Hiya, I probably would've finished the unit icons by now, but I've been slacking off due to little motivation.

I'll get them done soon, though.

Hi !

I'm in vacations until the 28th, so I may not be able to work on the code until that day, but there's a lot of things to do outside the code, that will give me time for that ;)

An idea :

why not includ the Naval Counterattack mod in yours ? that would not make the AI smarter with ships but the outcome would be more realistic.

Another idea :
you can mix the skins of various panzern to reflect the diversity in the german divisions, here an example with vanilla tiger, panther and kingtiger :

Early divisions could have the Panzer I, II and III
Late divisions the Panzer IV, Panther and Tiger.

That's mostly esthetic but since germany has so much models available it could be nice to see them in game.

you will see them all in game ;)

you've added all in your modpack ?

as how you'll see them, mixed units is a good idea, german mechanized infantry for example will use a mix of normal infantry and panzer I or II.

but I may need to scale down a bit the tanks units, and if I do the same for the infantry, well, they're already small... On the other side, it would allow 2 rows of tanks in one unit, will look better for mixed units (3 front, 2 rear)

but then, another problem will be the number of combinaison.

I want the player (as the german) to be able to build normal and heavy tank units, so I'll need to think of various artdefines.

I don't want to mix "normal" and "heavy" tanks, the heavy class start at panzer V, right ?

could you help defining the various combination ? knowing that only class up to 3 would be available at start, the IV-VIII models having to be researched in order.

with close camo paint if possible (if there are more skins available from the civ4 units that have been converted, we could use them)

Hiya, I probably would've finished the unit icons by now, but I've been slacking off due to little motivation.

I'll get them done soon, though.
nice, take your time :goodjob:

about the return fire for ships and artillery, did someone know is the promotion "PROMOTION_RANGED_SUPPORT_FIRE" is used and what does it do exactly ?

and last, I have a link for v2, but it's slow as hell between turn, so I'm reticent to post it until I have time to fix that...

Hi Gedemon,

you've added all in your modpack ?

not at all :)

Some time ago I tried to mix infantry and mechanized infantry but it crashed.
It is first by testing your mod that I came upon the idea that mixing tanks could work.
And I though it would be good idea to allow for more historically looking divisions.

I have now used this mix in my mod, I found it a shame to have those superb units from danrell and not see them in game :)

Panzer I was a very light tank, more a training model than a fighting vehicule and it suffered heavy loses while the campaign of France.

PzKw II was a light tank as well. If I am right, after the campaign of France they were mostly used for police operations in occupied countries.

PzKw III and IV were medium tanks, they were the backbones of the Wehrmacht.
After 1942 the III was supplanted by the IV because it could not stand against the Sherman and T-34.

The Panzer IV was already available for the campaign of France.

As example the 1. PzDiv had :
256 tanks : 52 Pz I, 98 Pz II, 58 pz III, 40 pz IV, 8 PzBef.(command tanks)

The heavy tanks are PzKW V (Panther), PzKW VI (Tiger) and the Kingtiger which was a killer !

The german divisions always had a mix of tanks because the supply was always too short, expecially for the heavy tanks.
Only the elite divisions had an important number of Panther and Tiger.

I will work on some combinations models if you like. I have some ideas on how to do this on a division basis.
What do you mean with close camo paint?

It would be great if somebody could convert more models, especially from the allies now!

Perhaps use the sherman as a late war tank until more models are available ?

Enjoy your vacations in the mean time :)

Propositions for the german panzerdivisions :

Left :
Early war/light tank division (1939 - 1942) : 2 Pz III and 1 Pz II

Middle :
Tier II division : 1 Panther, 2 Panzer IV

Right :
Heavy batalion : 2 Tiger 1 Kingtiger
(Tiger were usually deployed in independent tank batalions and Königstiger were issued only to heavy tank batalions).

Depending on how many stage you want in the techtree you could make it like this as well :

Start :
Tier 1 : 2 Panzer III and 1 Panzer II

Research makes the Panzer IV available :

Tier 2 : 1 Panzer III and 2 Panzer IV

Research makes the Panther available :
Tier 3 : 2 Panzer IV and 1 Panther (Panther were less produced than Pz IV)

Research unlocks the Tiger, heavy batalions are available :

3 Tigers and 2 Tigers + 1 K.Tiger when the Königstiger is unlocked

I've tried to put 5 tanks in a unit but they are too densely packed, perhaps you know how to change this :

I've tried to put 5 tanks in a unit but they are too densely packed, perhaps you know how to change this :

yep, see my old Stalingrad mod (if it still working...) for an example with more than 5 tanks, but I do not want to scale down the tanks to much here, else I'll have to scale down the infantry too, and it's already pretty small imo.

I'll see what I can do with just a small change in scale and a 5 tanks formation.

Here's the beta v.2 (edit : link removed, see v3 in first post)

and the changelog, aka what to test now :D

v0.2 (Jul 28, 2011):

- Feature: added the base of the reinforcement gameplay, units will need personnel and materiel to "heal", the personnel/materiel ratio depend of the unit type, some buildings give bonus
- Tweak : Max Hit Points for units down to 50 as units can heal now (up to 5hp/turn if you have the needed reinforcements)
- Feature: better placement system for initial order of battle. Still to play test, nothing really balanced
- Feature: research new units via projects (2 units and 2 projects added, one for France and one for Germany, can be researched in cities with military academy)
- Feature: notification before declaring war (5 and 1 turn before). This is only for the DoW programmed from the player, it does not notify when another civ is going to DoW on you.
- Feature: display real date (but most scripted events are not linked to the real time line yet)
- Include: Flag promotion mod (v.3 updated to last civilization patch)
- Bugfix: icon and city name of Swiss where broken for some players
- Bugfix: "ghost" of initial units were left in cities
- Bugfix: units renaming could use a bad number
- Gameplay fix: as the game engine consider embarked units as land units with low strength, bomber could one shoot them almost every time, even with the maritime malus. So embarked unit strength is raised, but the mod give all land units a strong penalty against Sea when embarked
- Tweak: name of Italian fighter and bomber squadron

more info on the reinforcement system :
- each turn your nation will produce personnel and materiel that are added to a pool
- quantity produced depend on total food/population for personnel and total production for materiel
- hospital and radio (propaganda) helps recruiting more personnel per turn
- factory and harbor (imports) help producing more materiel per turn
- max reserve value can be raised by barracks, base, hospital and radio for personnel; and by factory, harbor, base, arsenal for materiel
- the reserve, max and flux (created-used) for personnel and materiel are shown in top panel (if you have suggestion for icons that I could use here...)

about the projects, it's just a test with 2 available projects, one for France (D-520) and one for Germany (Ju88), for now you need a military academy to unlock them (and barracks to unlock the military academy...).

I've forgotten :

of course each unit class have a different materiel/personnel ratio that will dictate the amount of each needed to reinforce the unit.

example :

I've set tanks to have a ratio of 90% materiel / 10% personnel
I've set 1hp healed request 10 materiel/personnel
To heal one HP, a tank unit will need 9 materiel and 1 personnel

For now reinforcement is done in order, from the most damaged unit to the less one, in 5 pass.
Each pass a unit can get 1 HP if the requested reinforcements are available, then another one once all other units have been checked up to 5 hp (5 pass)

I plan to allow the player to change priority for individual units.

Units out of supply line won't get reinforcement, naval and air units must be in cities to receive reinforcement.

I don't really start to play but i can see that the swiss name are ok now, and i can notice one bug the unique abilitie of germany doesn't work the german tanks dont start with blitzgrieg

I don't really start to play but i can see that the swiss name are ok now, and i can notice one bug the unique abilitie of germany doesn't work the german tanks dont start with blitzgrieg

yep, the civs traits are not coded yet.

great scenario will be playing it soon.
Would be great if the the east side of the US was also on the map as europe ie would never have won WW2 without the help of the US and Canada.
Makes for a more realistic scenario

Top Bottom