Really Advanced Setup

Thanks General Tso, I downloaded and enabled this in Vanilla Civ5 in Steam, and clicking advanced settings only brings me to the normal advanced settings.

EDIT: Never mind, got it working, thanks!

Love this setup mod, use it for every game.

Can we edit the max starting gold? currently it is at 5000

If you feel comfortable with editing a Lua file within the mod then the max gold can be changed.

Find the MODS folder for your game probably: "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Really Advanced Setup (v 6)\"

Open the Lua folder and backup the file - "GTAS_Constants.lua".

Now edit the original. You want to change this line - "GOLD_MAX = 5000" to something different.

If you set the GOLD_MAX value to high then you may have some problems with the slider acting in a somewhat quirky manner but the higher gold value should work just fine when the actual game starts.

I plan to release a new version in the near future. When that happens you will have to repeat the above procedure while using the folder for the new version. Probably "Really Advanced Setup (v 7)".

Just wanted mention that I'm releasing a new version very soon.

Here's what's included:

Fixed Active civs list. Civs will now deactivate when unchecked.

Updated map setup code. Custom maps should now work better.

Added a "No Nukes" option.

Enabled the following hidden game options: "Disable Science", "Disable policies", "Disable Happiness", "Always War", "Always Peace" and "No Changing War and Peace"

Starting bias can now be set for all players including AI and random civs.

Increased max starting visibility.

Increased max unit experience.

Increased max value for some of the starting bonuses.

Caravans and Cargo Ships now start in the player's first city (if possible).

Added link to Civilopedia.

The number of civs and city states is set to the default value when the user changes map type or size.

This mod no longer changes the values in the standard Advanced Setup screen.

Cleaned up help system.

Fixed various minor bugs.

Tso,

your work is great. You know what I would love? An option to define the MIN_CITY_RANGE variable... I find myself fiddling with that one a lot. Should not be hard to add to your mod...

Can you do that before the imminent new version? Please?

It's funny you would mention that. I would really really like to add that to this mod. Unfortunately it isn't possible. I can change the value but the game has it's own cached value that it uses. It just ignores mine. :sad:

I created a separate mod for my own use that increases the MIN_CITY_RANGE value by one so that the cities are spaced out farther. That's the only way I play the game now - it's awesome. Unfortunately this can't be done to in the Advanced Setup screen. It has to be done when the game is loaded so the change is a constant value for a given mod. I assume there are already some mods like this. If you look around you can probably find something. If not - let me know. I could make a couple of quick mods with each one having a hard coded city range.

It's funny you would mention that. I would really really like to add that to this mod. Unfortunately it isn't possible. I can change the value but the game has it's own cached value that it uses. It just ignores mine. :sad:

I created a separate mod for my own use that increases the MIN_CITY_RANGE value by one so that the cities are spaced out farther. That's the only way I play the game now - it's awesome. Unfortunately this can't be done to in the Advanced Setup screen. It has to be done when the game is loaded so the change is a constant value for a given mod. I assume there are already some mods like this. If you look around you can probably find something. If not - let me know. I could make a couple of quick mods with each one having a hard coded city range.

Yes, I know. I use my own minimod that includes, among other things, an update to the MIN_CITY_RANGE variable. I have to change it every time I want to use some different value, that's why I asked... did not imagine it couldn't be done as part of a mod like yours.

I have been testing this variable since the awful vanilla times, and I have quickly come to the conclusion that the game behaves very different (and better) with more maneuvering room... 4 to 5 is the sweet spot, if only there was no bug with the CS settlers that do not settle nor move if less than the minimum range tiles apart...

Probably not any use, but if you're using my DLL you can use DB.Query(...) to update any value(s) in the <Defines> table and then call Game.ReloadGameDataDefines() to reload the internal cache.

Edit: So if you had a control SetCityDistance, you could show/hide it if the method was available as

Code:
if (Game.ReloadGameDataDefines) then
  -- We have a 3rd party DLL providing additional functionality,
  -- show the city distance control and hook it up
  Controls.SetCityDistance:SetHide(false)
  Controls.SetCityDistance:RegisterCallback(...)
else
  Controls.SetCityDistance:SetHide(true)
end

Thanks whoward69. I'll definitely look into adding that once I'm done working on my current additions. With your dll I could add many other options that are not currently available due to the cache.

I'm about 50% finished with the next version of the mod. The next version will include the ability to specify what kind of terrain, features, and natural wonders appears around each player's starting location. These options will be similar in use to the current resource placement option.

I also fixed bug that caused big maps to take a very long time to load when starting visibility was set to a high value.

Help. I love this mod, but it is now making my game freeze and become unresponsive. I am not tech savy at all but I've narrowed it down to this Mod. WHAS AHP WIT DAT? any suggestions?:cry:

Any chance for an option to switch one leader's traits/units to another? I sometimes prefer to play a certain civ but would like the UU/UA of another.

@Jthemac12: I've never heard oh that happening with this mod. To help clear up any lingering problems caused by this mod (or one of the other mods that you are using) try clearing the Civ5 cache. You can do that by deleting all of the folders and files in the cache folder. It should be located somewhere like this: "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache".

@Mortac: That's an interesting idea. I'll put it in my list of thing to look at. It would require the use of a second mod created by whoward69 (see the post above) but it might be doable. For the time being you can assign any UU to any player at the beginning of the game using the player units panel. Not a perfect solution but it might be helpful.

Hi, mod works fine, except that I get a blank 'Map Panel'!

Any ideas?

First try disabling all other mods. Then exit Civ 5 and try clearing the cache. This can be done by deleting all files and folders in the "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache" folder. Then try using the mod again. Did it work? If so then try adding the other mods back one at a time or in small groups until the problem comes back. If it doesn't come back then the problem was caused by the cache. Otherwise it was caused by the appropriate mod.

Checking for mod conflicts and clearing the cache will cure the vast majority of problems with any Civ 5 mod.

A couple of users on Steam have complained of a problem where the menus in the Edit Player panel are blank. Due to the nature of Steam (casual gamers with limited options for feedback) I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong. If anybody here is experiencing the same problem I'd be greatly interested in hearing from you so that I can get this problem solved.

If you are experiencing this problem then first try the standard approach for a problem with any mod. Disable all other mods and close Civ 5. Then clear the cache by deleting the cache folder. That folder is located at "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache". Then start the game and mod as usual.

If the problem still exists then I would really be interested in knowing if any Lua errors are being generated and what they are. If anybody is interested but does not know how to go about retrieving Lua errors please ask and I'll explain (it's not difficult).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of users on Steam have complained of a problem where the menus in the Edit Player panel are blank. Due to the nature of Steam (casual gamers with limited options for feedback) I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong. If anybody here is experiencing the same problem I'd be greatly interested in hearing from you so that I can get this problem solved.

If you are experiencing this problem then first try the standard approach for a problem with any mod. Disable all other mods and close Civ 5. Then clear the cache by deleting the cache folder. That folder is located at "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache". Then start the game and mod as usual.

If the problem still exists then I would really be interested in knowing if any Lua errors are being generated and what they are. If anybody is interested but does not know how to go about retrieving Lua errors please ask and I'll explain (it's not difficult).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds a lot like a variation of my issue above.

I actually tried deleting both the cash and all mods, then started with only your mod installed, same issue (this is with the latest version of Brave New World btw).

Yes very similar - probably caused by a Lua error which was either generated directly by my code or else was caused by my code not being able to handle bad data created somewhere else. But the actual problems are probably located in different files within the mod.

If anybody encountering an error where part or all of a panel is blank, I would be greatly interested in knowing what Lua errors are generated (if any).

Here are the steps required.
1. Enable logging: Open Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\config.ini with a text editor. Change "LoggingEnabled = 0 to "LoggingEnabled = 1"

2. Start the game and mod as normal and go to the panel that is causing the problem. To be on the safe side go to another panel then return to the problem panel. That way the problem panel was opened twice.

3. Either open the log file with a text editor and inspect it or else just post it here. The log file is located at "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Logs\Lua.log".

If you are checking out the file yourself then look for lines that start with something like "Runtime Error:" The game usually outputs several lines for a single error and it's possible for more than one group of lines to be located in a single log file. Here is an example:

[5853.999] Runtime Error: C:\Users\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Really Advanced Setup (v 7)\UI Overrides\AdvancedSetup.lua:37: attempt to index global 'yik' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
C:\Users\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Really Advanced Setup (v 7)\UI Overrides\AdvancedSetup.lua:37: in function 'OnPlayers'
C:\Users\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Really Advanced Setup (v 7)\UI Overrides\AdvancedSetup.lua:223: in main chunk
=[C]: ?
[5853.999] Runtime Error: Error loading C:\Users\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Really Advanced Setup (v 7)\UI Overrides\AdvancedSetup.lua.

I just released version 8. It doesn't add any new features but it does do the following:

1. Fixed a bug that caused the menus in the edit player panel to be blank for people using the vanilla version of Civ.

2. Fixed a bug that caused big maps to take a very long time to load when starting visibility was set very high.

[567.828] AdvancedSetup: (Really Advanced Setup) Version: 8 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[569.076] Runtime Error: C:\Users\Ben\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Really Advanced Setup (v 8)\Lua\GTAS_Utilities.lua:265: attempt to call field 'Maps' (a nil value)
[571.431] Runtime Error: C:\Users\Ben\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Really Advanced Setup (v 8)\Lua\GTAS_Utilities.lua:265: attempt to call field 'Maps' (a nil value)

Top Bottom