Would it be possible for people who preloaded it to figure out the secret unit?

Well I imagine that someone could conjure a crack to gain access to that information, but as the game files are now, none of them can be properly opened, so an explicit list of units is inaccessible, but there is some other information scattered around the game folder.

My guess is that the unit is part of the executable and not listed in any of the XML/LUA files that are human readable.

Perhaps it becomes unlocked once you complete all Steam achievements?

Wait for Christmas morning says I. Next crack out of the box you'll be trying to tell us there's no Santa Claus.

[Insert photo of Sid Meier in Santa suit here]

Unlikely. Lots of developers use steam's pre-load system to put the encrypted files on players' discs before release, and they haven't historically been hacked (at least not publicly). Not that people haven't tried. But if publishers didn't trust it to keep their data safe till release day, they'd stop using it in a heartbeat.

Id suspect that some key files may be missing from the download, so even if you could crack it, it wouldnt run. Then again who knows. Ive heard of games being released (pirated) two weeks ahead of their true release date, and maybe this is why? I wouldnt be surprised at all!

Also, as Schuesseled said, please use a spoiler!

Top Bottom