Art and Lore

Celestial Compass

Most compasses tell you where to go. This one tells you who, what, when and why as well. -- Anonymous.

Currently, no healers have Names or quotes, though I do have art for 14... Please, post any character suggestions you'd like for the Healer Great Person.

To supplement that, here is the art I've got for them so far (Thanks Grey Fox! :p):

Spoiler :

Yes, most of them are nothing more than faces, or even just eyes in one or two... Usually the way I crop images this size. :lol:

Currently, no healers have Names or quotes, though I do have art for 14... Please, post any character suggestions you'd like for the Healer Great Person.

To supplement that, here is the art I've got for them so far (Thanks Grey Fox! :p):

Spoiler :

Yes, most of them are nothing more than faces, or even just eyes in one or two... Usually the way I crop images this size. :lol:
Some quotes:
For the person with the frozen bird in the background (4 down on the right side): "If you can't cure it, put it on ice for later. We'll figure something out eventually."
For the tree-headed gentleman (5 down on the right side): "Most disease arises from a failure to communicate. If a properly trained druid is available to translate, an amicable sharing of resources can be negotiated, often for the betterment of both parties."
For the green woman (3 down on the left): "Heh, heh, heh. Yes... I have discovered a 'cure' for you. Drink up!"
For the angry guy with the skull (5 down on the left): "Fire! Fire cures everything. If you can't outlast the disease you don't deserve to live anyway,"
For the white hand (3 down on the right): I'm imagining a Scion character "Just because we are immune to the plague does not mean we should not study it. A cure will bring significant profits to our empire."

Most of those don't really look that much like healers to me. Also, far too many are female and non-human for my tastes. The one person I really think should be a great healer is Pontiff Elim from the Tale of Saverous, assuming that isn't just a typo and he was supposed to be the same as the great prophet Pontiff Elmin who presumably held a very high rank in The Order.

The gray skinned woman with dark wings and an exposed breast (second from the top right) reminds me a lot like Gyra, Basium's twin sister and Archangel of Death.

Spoiler Tebryn Arbandi's pedia entry :
The Age of Ice was a paradise compared to what I endured. As men huddled in frozen caves, and the Bannor raced across the plains of ash in Agares hell I was held underneath the fractured surface of Camulos's hell.

Camulos is the god of war, and his hell is the proving ground for new demons. Here they learn the arts of chaotic battle in the unending wars that rage across its surface. The souls, once moral, become desensitized to feeling and inflicting pain. Then they begin to delight in it, cruelly destroying anyone weaker than them across the volcanic terrain.

Beneath the wars, in pits regularly opened or consumed by the violent earthquakes that shake the world, are the vast prisons where the victims of war are kept. I had suffered through the mire of Mulcarn, passed the trials of Mammon's great city but I was a quick victim to violence of this realm.

Torturers usually want something from their victims, secrets, cooperation or conversion. But here they subjected us to anguish only to enjoy our suffering. And in a world without the escape of death, there was no hope of an end to the torment. You bleed and scream for centuries.

The eruptions occasionally open new tunnels in the prisons, collapsing walls allow the imprisoned to flee to the world's surface and escape their torment for a time.

After one of these I fled into wastes, where the sand cut through exposed flesh like small shards of glass. I huddled beneath the hide of a pit beast and gripped one of the back spikes from the beast as a crude weapon. My magic failed me in hell. I traced a rune in the sand, a fire sign with broken bindings and willed it alive. A faint flame flickered within it. When I was alive I could have summoned torrents of fire out of the rune, I could have assaulted a city with it. Now it only flickered weakly.

Howls interrupted my concentration. Demons avoided battles in the wastes, but hunters lead by hellhounds would come through looking for those, like myself, that sought refuge here. I brushed away the rune and started deeper into the wastes.

By they were faster than I was and the hound could smell me. They didn't follow scent like moral dogs, they could smell fear and there was no escaping them. As I scrambled across another ridge a darkened figure rushed at me, spear in hand. He was emaciated, weak, and I easily knocked the spear aside.

I pulled the man to the ground, he was trembling, and whispered into his ear.

"You will be okay" I lied, "I won't hurt you, but we have to kill the hound that is coming for us."

He didn't speak, but his eyes stared into my face, trying to find some compassion. It was a rare commodity in this world.

"Hide under the ridge.” I ordered, pushing him into position. "When the hound comes be ready with your spear and we will attack it together."

He hid under the ridge and I slipped away. A few minutes later the hound stopped howling, it was close.

The hound was drawn to the figures fear as I had suspected. I watched as it walked up to the top of the ridge and stopped to sniff and listen. Even I could sense the man's fear, I knew it was like a beacon to the hound. In one smooth movement the hound leapt off the ridge and in front of the man, he called for my help as he braced his spear.

I ignored him as the hound attacked, tearing quickly into the man. I wasn't interested in the hound or the man. I waited until I saw him. A black figure wreathed in violet flames, the hunter following after the hound. As he passed I leapt out, shoving the spike into the hunters neck.

The sound he made was a mix of pleasure and pain, the scream of a sadist in the ecstasy of mutilation. He was stronger than I suspected, and the spike jutting from his neck didn't slow him at all. He lifted one arm and tossed me aside. I rolled and came to my feet to see him ready for his next attack. The hound dragged the body of the man back towards us, and the deep red eyes of the rest of the hellhound pack came out of the wastes. There was at least a dozen of them. The hunter didn't bother removing the spike from his neck.

A crow passed over us. Seeing it in hell was as unusual as seeing a demon flying by in Erebus. But the effect on the hunter and his hounds was immediate. They fled in all directions, even leaving the prize of the wizened man behind.

The crow landed. It was large for a crow but not unnaturally so. It clawed at the ground and hopped about ignoring me. I had lost the spike and without any sort of weapon I knew I was helpless. Remembering the man's spear I started to slip by, to avoid the crow and get to base of the ridge where the hellhound and the man fought.

Then I noticed what the crow had scratched. It was a fire rune with broken bindings. The crow looked at me for the first time.

It was exactly like the rune I had made, perfectly formed. I walked closer and the crow crooked its head watching me. I took a breath and reached out to the rune and I immediately felt the power well up inside of me. Balefire flooded out of the rune in great wild gouts. It flowed out between the hills of the wastes, down along the ridge and all around me. At the rune itself it reached up like a fountain of yellow fire, a bright finger reaching into the sky.

This was the power I once had. Let the hunters come, let them bring their packs of hellhounds, the torturers and the war machines of hell. I will purge this horrific world.

The crow was gone. In its place, floating weightless just above the ground was a beautiful woman wearing purple robes. The robes floated about her in a maze of folds that hid her and offered tantalizing glimpses of her perfect pale skin. Half of an obsidian mask covered the left side of her face. On the right her lips were full and red, her eyes matched the deep purple of her robes.

"To long have you dwelled in these lands."

The fire collapsed back into the rune. I felt the power slip from me and I gasped and fell to my knees in an effort to keep hold of it. But it was pulled from me and I was weak again. I screamed, it was as cruel as anything I had suffered here.

"Give it back." I threatened, realizing that I didn't have a weapon.

Her eyes narrowed dangerously. Her body twisted and she expanded, or the world shrank, until she filled the sky and her robes surrounded me.

"I am Ceridwen" she said and the ground rumbled with her voice, "and I can drop you into worlds far worse than this one. If you wish to be free you will worship me, for I am the only one who can break your chains."

And I fell to the ground and worshipped her.

I had forgotten how beautiful creation was, or I had paid little attention. The island I walked across was ripe and lush. There were no land animals on it, just brightly colored birds that cried and fluttered away in annoyance as I walked by.

A vast well stood at the center of the island. Far enough across that a galleon could have been dropped down it and it was deeper than the world. The rocks around it appeared to be old granite, but I knew that rock was the foundation of creation and was much stronger than simple granite. There were no animals here.

I began walking around the well. Every few feet I stopped to trace a rune on the rock. Though it seemed a minor effect, and I was more powerful than I had ever been in life, it took all of my willpower to mar the rock. Between runes I rested and went over Ceridwen's demands, making sure each step was done exactly as she described.

By the time I had walked the entire way around it was well into the night. I stood on the last rock ready to trace the final rune. But before that I drew silver letters on a black cloth, cast and then placed the cloth over my eyes. Through it I saw the spirit world. Even now spirits of the dead walked across the island and threw themselves into the well, passing from this world to the world beyond.

Then I completed the final rune. In a screeching that brought back painful memories of Camulos's hell the rock began to move together. The well began to close.

Confused spirits rushed toward the well, seeing their afterlife being stolen from them and from within the well I heard the sound of feathers. A cold wind came up out of the well and I saw a figure flying up at me from the wells depths. A woman with a cloth over her eyes much as mine, and ragged bands woven around her arms and into a tattered dress. She had dark wings and pale ivory skin. She was like moonlight filtered through a canopy of branches.

But she was not fast enough. I reached out and pulled all of the surrounding spirits towards me, funneling them all into the final rune that was being sketched over the closing rocks surface. A barrier held fast, a great mirror that would send those who tried to pass through it back, a transformation that would bind the spirits that passed through it into unholy forms.

The spirits powered the rune, they were trapped within it. They howled and fought the rune but they could not escape.

To test the spell I walked to a nearby apple tree, since the birds didn't come this close to the well its fruit was untouched. But it was early in the year and it only had tiny green apples hanging from its branches.

I traced a rune of withering on its trunk and the tree immediately shriveled and died. The tiny apples fell from the branches as the branches thinned and weakened. For a moment nothing happened, and then the tree filled out again. Not to its original height, as it remained dark and warped by the spell, but it was not completely dead. On its branches new small fruit blossomed, but this time they were a deep brownish red and they beat slowly.

My mission had begun. My deal with Ceridwen, to bring Armageddon to creation starts here. If I fail I will return to the eternal prison of hell, and even if it means destroying the world I will never again suffer hells torments.

The Handgunner civpedia entry refers to an elven herbalist called Algas the Mild. A suggested quote: "Sheathe your weapons, sirs. Blood should feed the heart, not the soil."

"My colleagues just cure everything with no regard for the consequences. A properly engineered plague will kill the weaklings and strengthen the survivors."

"Butchering the cattle the moment they show signs of disease is an effective way of containing plagues. But cure it and you can taste the sublime savoury sweetness of a survivor."

Did RifE borrow my code for making Auric Ascended spread snow? If so, CIV4SpellInfos.xml probably contains an Auric-only spell that has a python call used as a python prereq even though it acts like a python result. It could simply use the python call from Snowfall_greater.

If still accepting Healer quotes, for the one with the skull: "My contemporaries attempt to heal simple diseases. Now me, I will heal the greatest infliction of all: Death"

For names, I'd suggest one of them be Hyppoc Tic, an Ordine Medicos I've used often in the Mazera megastory. I've always pictured as older and not-beautiful, but then again I haven't hit the phase of Alteration corruption have planned...

Some possible quotes of various levels of evil.

---

"My bretheren ask why I bother fixing the weak. I say: the more I repair them and put them back to the slaughter, the more useful they are. At the end of the day, I get more use out of the trash than they do. It is nothing sentimental."

"First, do no harm. Second, aid all worthy. Third, make them fit to smite our enemies once again."

Strictly Medicos

"I am an arms dealer dealing you with weapons in the form of cures." -Black Medicos song

"Paupers, Kings, we care not so long as you can pay the base fee."

My favorite:

"With mastery of Alteration, beauty is no longer a goal, or even a virtue. It is a moral obligation. Do we force the healthy to live with the contagious? Do we mix the criminal with the law-abiding? Then why are the marred allowed to mingle with the fair?"

Thanks to Opera for giving me the basic idea, we have a new origin story for D'tesh... I'll likely write a short story up for his pedia, but here are the basics, and the in-game effects:

D'tesh himself was once an Amurite archmage, either during the Age of Ice or just at the beginning of the Age of Rebirth. A secret practicer of the Necromantic arts, he spent years searching for a powerful artefact. After decades of research, he finally found it; The Gem of Death, one of the three gems stolen by mortals in ages past.

This Gem is what gave him the power to enslave the minds of the city he lived in; Yes, all D'teshi mages are originally Amurite, either via force or corruption. Men will do evil things when promised eternal life. ;)

For the in game effects:

• D'tesh and the Amurites hate each other. The leaders will have a permanent -6 diplo relation.
  • D'tesh the Hero will be harder to acquire... Either a higher tech requirement or more expensive, not sure. In compensation, he will possess a new piece of Equipment, the Gem of Death (Opalus Mortis). Will likely grant any units he summons a higher death affinity, as well as giving him a high death strength... To fight him, you need undead, demons, or angels, but I'm thinking of giving it a spell that converts Undead to your cause. ;)

So end effects: Rivalry between Amurites and D'teshi, D'tesh becomes stronger, and they are no longer steamrolled by the Scions. ;)

I was going to try to come up with in-universe histories for ale cotton and obsidian, then I realized that the histories for many other resources are about real life. So I have these three. If you have any problems with any of the texts, let me know and I will fix them.

Spoiler :
Ale is a type of beer brewed from malted barley using a top-fermenting brewers' yeast. This yeast ferments the beer quickly, giving it a sweet, full bodied and fruity taste. Most ales contain hops, which impart a bitter herbal flavour that helps to balance the sweetness of the malt and preserve the beer. The other major style of beer -- lager -- is bottom-fermented.

Ales are common in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Belgium, Germany, the eastern provinces of Canada, and among craft beer consumers in the United States. The German word for "top-fermenting" is "obergärig"; the French equivalent is "Haute fermentation".

Ales typically take 3 to 4 weeks to make, although some varieties can take as long as 4 months. Lagers take significantly longer to brew than ales and tend to be less sweet.

Spoiler :
Cotton is a soft, staple fiber that grows in a form known as a boll around the seeds of the cotton plant, a shrub native to tropical and subtropical regions around the world, including the Americas, India and Africa. The fiber most often is spun into yarn or thread and used to make a soft, breathable textile, which is the most widely used natural-fiber cloth in clothing today. The English name derives from the Arabic (al) qutn قُطْن , which began to be used circa 1400.

Spoiler :
Obsidian is a naturally occurring volcanic glass formed as an extrusive igneous rock. It is produced when felsic lava extruded from a volcano cools without crystal growth. Obsidian is commonly found within the margins of rhyolitic lava flows known as obsidian flows, where the chemical composition (high silica content) induces a high viscosity and polymerization degree of the lava. The inhibition of atomic diffusion through this highly viscous and polymerized lava explains the lack of crystal growth. Because of the lack of crystal structure, obsidian blade edges can reach almost molecular thinness, leading to its ancient use as projectile points, and its modern use as surgical scalpel blades.

If you haven't guessed already, they are all from Wikipedia.

Here is one for the Bannor captain.

Spoiler :
Discipline. What other word comes to mind when thinking of Bannor soldiers? You have to be disciplined when fighting against the armies of hell. And where does discipline come from? Training. And who does the training? The captains. The Bannor have taken the art that is leadership and turned it into a science. There are stores of records of Bannor captains defeating enemy forces who are twice their size and better equipped. I need not remind my readers of the slaughter at Boulderment Pass. Such victories were common amongst the best captains.

-Surviving page from a Dural book of history

Here are two different ones for the Mechanos grenadier.

Spoiler :
Ya see, we was lined up in formation like we always was, ya see? Them Mechanos was running at us with rocks, ya see? No metal monstrosities, no boomsticks, just rocks. And we wasn't very worried ya see, cause what can rocks do to armor and swords? But ya see, when they were still 20 paces off, they raised their armrs and started throwing their rocks. Sure, the rocks bounced off our armor, and the order to march was given. But ya see, we hadn't marched four steps when I hear the loudest wound I ever heard. Them wasn't no rocks. It was some new Mechanos contraption. The screams of my fellow soldiers still haunt my dreams. By the Gods, if they don't use magic, I don't know what they use.

-A former Bannor champion, telling the tale of the defeat of the "invincible" 2nd legion.

Spoiler :
I've found a new use for gunpowder. Musket balls are all well and good at long range, but what about when the enemy is right on top of you? We take a metal canister, fill it with 2 dozen musket balls and plenty of powder, then seal it up good. When the soldier is ready, he inserts the detonator cap, this small cylindrical object, and breaks it off. He now has 8 seconds, more or less,before it goes off. He throws it into the enemy line, and BOOM, several dead enemies and many more wounded ones. A good soldier should be able to throw 2 of them in 10 seconds. Are you interested in putting the new weapon into production?

-The Mechanos Weapons Researcher Grendiaer, the day before the raising of the "First Hand Held Explosives Unit."

Here are two different ones for the dwarvern ironclad.

Spoiler :
You mean to tell me that a ship without sails came at you, against the wind, to attack you in the middle of the night, and was solely responsible for the destruction of the four ships under your command? I'll teach you to lie to me.

-Captain Blackheart, moments before ordering the execution of Captain Johnathan Whiler

Spoiler :
Ironclads are truly a dwarvern invention. Rather then using wood and wind, they use metal, coal, and fire. Stronger then normal ships, they are capable of carrying many more cannons. Whoever came up with the rhyme "Dwarves abhor the seas" clearly was not informed about the ironclad.

One for the Luchuirp mud golem.

Spoiler :
The mud golem was one of the first types of golems to be built by the Luchuirp. Mud is a plentiful resource, and is very easy to work with for even a beginner enchanter. Unfortunately, the same qualities which make mud easy to work with, make it bad in battle. As a result, the mud golem has minimal combat capabilities and is used for hard manual labor.

I can use those entries, keep them coming! :goodjob:

Now, calling all Photoshoppers: I need an image edit, if you feel up to it. ;)

I've been trying to find art for the Bezeri Lizard leader (The Toad is taken care of). The problem is their lizards aren't large or muscular... The civ is aquatic, rarely enters land (Water supports most of your weight, obviously), and they have no melee to speak of. Not puny, really, but not muscular like everyone seems to draw them. I also want them blue, but I can live with different colorations...

I've found one image I can use, but I don't like it, really.... The smile doesn't work here. :lol:
Spoiler :

A better one, found by Cyrusfan, has a few problems.... But I'm hoping one of you can fix them. ;)
Spoiler :

The two things I'd like: 1, I need it to appear to be underwater. The cliff can stay, but we need it recolored with a blueish tint, maybe add some kelp/fish. 2, I'd like him recolored Blue, but this isn't really necessary, just a nice touch. ;)

Of course, completely redoing the background would also work. xD

Hopefully one of you artists out there could help?

Or, if you'd prefer/are artistically challenged, post any lizard art you like that could potentially fit. I've collected quite a bit of other art as potential Mazatl/Cualli leaders. ;)

If these Bezeri lizardmen are to be the canonical Blue Lizardmen who, thanks to their Aifon ancestry, can breath both air and water, then they should not be blue all over. Blue Lizardmen are gray for the most part, but have blue stripes on their chests. (I have no real basis for this, but I personally like to imagine that these stripes are actually gill slits, located between the ribs and possibly connected somehow to the lungs.) If their underside is not exposed it is hard to tell them apart from the common Gray Lizardman, although they are slightly smaller and less muscular.

I don't like the first one, and don't really think the second one should be edited that much. It could be god to add blue stripes, but his chest is barely visible so it would be a subtle detail. I don't expect any attempt to make it look like it is underwater would turn out well. I personally think it would be better for him to be sitting on a cliff on the water's edge, looking down on his wetter subjects.

The second picture reminds me of a half-human/half Marine Iguana, which I think is quite appropriate. While Blue Lizardmen can breath water and don't have to come up for air like these Iguanas, I imagine they still must spend a fair amount of time on the surface for another reason: sunbathing on the rocks. The ocean depths are quite cold, enough to nearly paralyze a cold blooded lizard that does not surface in order to warm up. I imagine these lizardmen surfacing mostly to lazily bask in the warm sunlight, and that higher ranking lizards use their prestige to take the best rocks for sunbathing while the lower classes might have to make due with floating in the shallows.

Not even the Aifons were entirely aquatic. I tend to think that the Aifon capital and their most important administrative buildings were on the island above the surface, although suburbs extended into the depths.

Edit: The recolor is much better than I expected, although I still don't think it is necessary. It still doesn't look like it is underwater to me, just like it was taken closer to twilight or when a storm is brewing.

If these Bezeri lizardmen are to be the canonical Blue Lizardmen who, thanks to their Aifon ancestry, can breath both air and water, then they should not be blue all over. Blue Lizardmen are gray for the most part, but have blue stripes on their chests. If their underside is not exposed it is hard to tell them apart from the common Gray Lizardman, although they are slightly smaller and less muscular.

I don't like the first one, and don't really think the second one should be edited that much. It could be god to add blue stripes, but his chest is barely visible so it would be a subtle detail. I don't expect any attempt to make it look like it is underwater would turn out well. I personally think it would be better for him to be sitting on a cliff on the water's edge, looking down on his wetter subjects.

The second picture reminds me of a half-human/half Marine Iguana, which I think is quite appropriate. While Blue Lizardmen can breath water and don't have to come up for air like these Iguanas, I imagine they still must spend a fair amount of time on the surface for another reason: sunbathing on the rocks. The ocean depths are quite cold, enough to nearly paralyze a cold blooded lizard that does not surface in order to warm up. I imagine these lizardmen surfacing mostly to lazily bask in the warm sunlight, and that higher ranking lizards use their prestige to take the best rocks for sunbathing while the lower classes might have to make due with floating in the shallows.

Not even the Aifons were entirely aquatic. I tend to think that the Aifon capital and their most important administrative buildings were on the island above the surface, although suburbs extended into the depths.

The Bezeri have absolutely ZERO ties to the Aifons. In fact, they're my answer to an aquatic civ that does NOT revive the Aifons in some way. ;) They were designed before I knew of the 'Blue' lizardmen from the Bestiary.

The Bezeri (the Lizard component, at least) are an offshoot of the Mazatl. They originally lived in a coastal jungle/swamp village, making most of their living from fish already... Fortunately for them, several masters of Nature/Body magic lived among them when the Age of Ice began. Seeing no other option to save themselves but abandon land entirely, they began modifying their own bodies.... Eventually, they discovered one of the last cities of the Tsaayiq'an, a dying race of Toad-men. The two races joined forces, and over time have become one culture, with the Tsaayiq'an generally occupying the higher castes (They are the only ones able to be either Taidar'een or Tiec'een, the Nobles and the Mages.).

Edit: Also, regardless of what they may have been before, both races are Warm-blooded. Was an essential modification for them to survive underwater and maintain their intelligence and a high-rate of activity. The Tsaayiq'an were actually dying out because they were originally Cold-blooded, and could not maintain a high enough rate of activity to hunt their food after the AoI began. They only survived with the help of the Lizards, but remained as the Higher Caste due to their more advanced culture; The lizards were essentially homeless hick lizards. :lol: And yes, while the Toads have a more inherent grasp of Magic, they did not have the expertise necessary to literally reshape themselves.

So basically, nothing to do with the 'blue' lizards from the lore. :lol:

As for the other point, about how aquatic they are... Both races are 100% aquatic. They only emerge onto land if absolutely necessary, either for Trade (Many materials aren't available in the water, and they can't forge metals at all) or for War. They survived the Age of Ice by living UNDER the ice sheets.... Some of them never see the surface at all, though that is rare now that the Age of Ice is ended.

Of course, this means they are VERY anti-Illian, Frozen, and White Hand.

Religion-wise, they favor FoL and hate OO, nearly as much as the White Hand. They view it as a perversion... While the lizards didn't enter the ocean until after the Aifons disappeared, the Tsaayiq'an already inhabited the ocean, worshipping Danalin. They may be one of the only groups to have witnessed what actually occurred, but the most I'll do is refer to the events in their lore. Nothing new concerning the Aifons. ;)

Edit: That was a useful post, btw. Got some thoughts out in the forums that had just been in my head before, specifically with how the two groups first became one. ;)

Top Bottom