Rebirth and Legend

Ah, that's something I should have considered too, Basium's habit of instantly declaring war on the Infernals. Lore wise it makes sense of course, but in a situation like the one you've described it could prove to be a problem.

Should Basium's insta-war on Hyborem (And the reverse too, AFAIK Hyborem's just as quick with it) be disabled? If so, I'll add it to the list of things to do.

stupid question of mine:
do you have any idea if it would be possible to merge MnAi changes with RifE (or AoE... or Rebirth)?
or are MnAi changes incompatibles with some main Rife files/mechanics ?

I think that's been asked before, and the answer I remember was that it would more-or-less impossible.

It's a case of editing the DLL source mainly, and I haven't even started looking into that. Time permitting when I do, there'll likely be a number of conflicts between RiFE code and MNAI code that'll have to be resolved.
So as it stands... it's not necessarily impossible. Just a long way off, and a lot of work.

well, because, it seems to me that it's one of the main points that slows me when I think about a RifE game...

I think with regards to the Infernal/Mercurian issue just replacing their iron with a mana type would do it really. The fact they insta-war each other seems fine if they can stand on an equal footing with one another. Has anyone else found it a problem fighting a bunch of angels (that are on equal footing with champions)that spawn after killing a mortal mercurian stack?

Cant convert to Empyrean with Mekara. Is this intended they are bound to no state religion?

Yes. Jamal and Iram are both unable to have state religions. The third leader, Zaria, can have a religion.

Thanks for answer :) I hope Derf will continue on improving this mod because Ashes of Erebus has freezes when playing Mekara

Development has not stopped; I'm just juggling available time between various other needs and interests, and trying to work on a means of spawning Hell Terrain in a means similar to the snow-spreading of the Temple of the Hand in vanilla FfH2 and some modmods. The code that places sand wasn't really designed for this though, and I've caused crashes aplenty.
As soon as I get a nice bout of time to work on it I'll go through patch notes and the last pages of the Final Fixes Reborn thread to see what other fixes I can work on and add here, as well as any other changes that need doing. The Infernals and the Hell Terrain I'm working on may take some time to get working and make balanced, so that'll be rolled out over time.

I have returned!... sort of.
I may soon be (finally) finding time to get back to work on this. Life has been interfering for a while, and this has been one of several things that I had to put to one side in the interim. Fortunately, I had the foresight to keep backups of all my code and work, so I haven't lost anything except the knowledge of what on erebus I was doing sometimes.

Right now, aside from this little announcement and my ongoing attempt to make Hell Terrain work my own way, I've had a few ideas I want to see what people think of before I actually go and find out what my Todo list looks like (And that's before I go look at what bugs Ashes of Erebus has stomped that I haven't yet...)
Namely there are a few Civ's who I'm thinking could do better as optional modules - Austrin, Chislev, Dural, and the Legion of D'Tesh. Some of these may be enabled by default, depending on feedback.
There are also a few ideas I've had that I might implement, once I find the various notes I've kept over the last almost-a-year. I'll make mention of them whenever I get around to it.

Mildly OT, but I'm vaguely aware there have been some changes in Ashes of Erebus that may make my existing modules non-functional. I haven't yet had the time to look into that and what needs to be done, and depending on time I might not have the chance to devote attention to the modules and Rebirth. That being said, if people go and poke me on my module thread with the changes and they're not all that complex, I'll run through and do a quick round of updates where necessary.

For now though, please feel free to add a list of bugs to squash to my todo list; they'll help get me back in the swing of things.

Alright, some work has been done. An updated version is in the pipeline once a track down a recurrant bug.
For now, this is what to expect in 1.2 when it arrives:
Auric and Taranis (Frozen Module) no longer have the Ice-Touched trait, which has been removed. AI Auric/Taranis is weighted to never assume any religion other than the White Hand.
Jotnar plot radius is now +3 instead of +1.
Several missing Text Keys have been added
Several other Text Keys have been changed:
-Abashi the Black Dragon no longer refers to converting Cult of the Dragon units
-Demagog entry now correctly refers to Crusade as a Council civic, not a Religion civic
-Dragon Tortoise changed to Turtle. Tortoise's don't swim! (Note that the Text Key has not been changed, only the text shown in-game)
-War Tortoise, Turtle again! (As above)
-Mercurian gate updated to reflect its new use: It is now Mercurian only and must be built in order to summon (Built) Basium. It also allows living units to go through and fight in hell, where after a few turns they may either be granted the Angel racial for their valience, or die, in which case they may be reborn as angels instead.
The Mod's name and folder is now officially Rebirth and Legend, meaning it no longer overwrites existing Rise from Erebus installations. Thanks to Opera for finding the bits I was missing that kept causing issues.
Grigori Medic now correctly has 'Can only defend' set, per their Lore.
Three modules (from my thread) have been merged into code. These are Advanced Workers, Fortifications and Werepyre.
Dural and Hamstalfar modules are now disabled by default.

Depending on tracking down aforementioned bug, the Khazad: The Next Generation module may also be merged prior to upload.

Todo list:
Continue work on making the Demon Altar spawn Hell Terrain so Infernals don't have a hell of a time without their auto-hellification.
Fix priests of Omorr and Kalshekk founding the wrong temple with the Found Temple spell
Alter Grigori Questing so that it carries some risk
Make the Kahd unit spawn in the same manner as Auric when Kahd is selected as a leader, or make him trainable.
Look at turning five civilizations into optional modules, feedback pending: Archos, Austrin, Chislev, D'Tesh
Consider 'borrowing' some Dural buildings for the Grigori to use also
Consider other modules from my thread that could be merged or turned into compatible modules.

Namely there are a few Civ's who I'm thinking could do better as optional modules - Austrin, Chislev, Dural, and the Legion of D'Tesh. Some of these may be enabled by default, depending on feedback.

The mod already has a "Restrict Random Civilizations" Game Option, as you know. I'm not a programmer, so I'm afraid I don't understand the benefit of making certain civs modular -- does it speed up the game?

On the linux system I used to be doing this on, by leaps and bounds. I can only assume because it doesn't have so much to load. That being said, that was almost a year ago, and Wine has made significant improvements since.
I've since had to relocate back to Windows 7 for technical reasons, and so far I haven't been playing long enough to actually notice yet, although Windows did give me a bit of a WTF moment when BTS refused to launch - until I launched it in compatibility mode for Windows 7. On Windows 7.
No, I don't get it either.

I'd actually forgotten that setting exists, to be honest. Once I've played a few games I tend to leave the game options untouched because they've settled in whatever form I'm used to, barring the odd minor tweak now and then, so I rarely scroll down to remember it's there.

Almost a year after the last version, version 1.2 is now available for download in the second post! Changelog is in the third, but here's a copy of it anyway:

-Mod's name is now officially Rebirth and Legend, meaning it no longer overwrites any Rise from Erebus installs you have. Thanks to Opera for pointing out the places I was missing.
-Auric and Taranis (Frozen Module) no longer have the Ice-Touched trait, which has been removed. They are now weighted to favour the White Hand, and to not pick any other religion even when available. Naturally, this is AI-only, and nothing stops you from doing differently.
-Jotnar plot radius is now +3 instead of +1
-The Dural and Hamstalfar modules are no longer loaded by default
-Three modules have been merged into the base code: Advanced Workers, Fortifications and Werepyre. See my AoE module thread for details on each.
-Six modules have been made available, but are not loaded by default. Move them into the appropriate folder to enable them (As the RiFE launcher doesn't seem to want to work). These are Khazad: TNG (Folder is named 'Dwarves'), Master of Mana Buildings, Maogata, More Arcane, Myu and Scion Healthcare.
-Known Issue: When Scion Healthcare module is loaded, the 'pedia does not display banner art for any non-module civilizations.
-Grigori Medics now have 'Can only Defend' set, per their lore.
-Corrupted Pastures are now available to the Infernals as well as the D'Teshi
-Infernals temporarily have their auto-hellification turned on due to issues with the way I was trying to make it work. An alternative solution is in the works.
-Lots of missing Text Keys have been added. Most of them just have placeholder text, but you should see much fewer TXT_KEY_SOMETHING occurances.
-Two text keys have been corrected from 'Tortoise' to 'Turtle' - Tortoises don't swim. Note that this is visual only; the actual keys still refer to Tortoise.
-The entries for Abashi, Demagogs and the Mercurian Gate have all been updated.

I've also revised my todo list for 1.3, so I've got something to do.
-Changes to Hell Terrain (Again, see below for details)
-Fixing the Priests of Omorr/Kalshekk - I can fix this, but it'll break savegame compatibility.
-Grigori Sidequesting will be a 1 time thing with a slight risk involved
-Inspirations from an older module (Fall Under) for tech-costs: Researching one religion will now increase the cost of other religions, how much being determined by their alignment differences. Similarly, researching one of the four Mana techs (Alteration, Elementalism, Necromancy, Divination) will make the other three cheaper.
-Elven Palaces will be renamed to match Lore (Summer/Winter Court)
-Diakonos may be looked at and asked to use a smaller club. Scouts everywhere rejoice again, but this time in the safety of their homes.
-Beeri Bawl may have his traits changed. Golems don't seem to gain many of the benefits from Defender (I'll be looking into this) so it may make sense to exchange it for another trait. Industrious is on the board right now.

As mentioned, I wanted Hell Terrain to work differently. The vision I had doesn't play nice with the python code though, so I've come up with an alternative solution that I'm probably testing now as you read this.
Remember Sanctify, the Life I spell? Now there'll be a new spell from Entropy I - Hellificate. Yes, that's now a technical term. And yes, it does exactly what you'd expect.
Once I've made sure the Hellification spell does in fact work (in theory it's a simple solution to make a copy of and chance Sanctify, but 'theory' and 'simple' often mean 'have fun with that!' and it's a big pain) The automatic hellificating of Infernal lands will once again be deactivated, so as to prevent them from having an early-game boost.

As an aside, it seems that souls dying and becoming Manes doesn't happen unless you've researched Infernal Pact. Many people died in order to bring you this information. Hyborem was not amused.

Changelog looks good. Downloading right now. I"m currently in the middle of an Ashes of Erebus game, but will give this a go when I have the chance.

EDIT: I noticed one of the Inactive Modules is called MPL, but it wasn't clear to me what that means.

@Derf:
may you explain again how to launch/start/install Rebirth and Legend now that the online wiki of RifE is dead, and the old module manager doesn't work well ? (is there a new "module manager" ?)

The RiFE Launcher still works for launching the mod. The part of the launcher that handles modules however regularly bugs out, so for modules, just moving them between the respective folders is enough to enable or disabled them.
Namely, Assets\Inactive Modules\Normal Modules (For Disabled modules)
and Assets\Modules\Normal Modules (For Enabled modules)

You can still of course launch the mod from the 'Load a Mod' option on the main menu of vanilla BTS, or by creating a shortcut, for which I believe there are already a considerable number of threads that explain it.
(Which is my way of saying I don't remember, but give me a little bit to find it and I'll find out).

Aside from the above manual means of handling modules, there's no new module manager as such. If I had the source for the RiFE Launcher it might be fixable, as it isn't I know my own experience isn't up to creating a new one. Yet.

My question was about the RifE launcher...
ot's been 2 years that I refrain from playing RifE due, mostly, to the fear of the launcher not working...

Top Bottom