A&E is dead.

Seriously, merging it back in with OT would do it no harm considering there's currently 4 threads that have been posted in within the past 2 week in the entire subforum. Clearly, not enough people use it to justify its existence.

Instead of issuing bans or points, just force the moderators' victims to post in A&E. Ought to at least liven up the place a bit.

Maybe they should split Art and Entertainment in two separate forums. One for artsy business made by members, and the other for Doctor Who.

I'm going to repeat myself back from when the forum was launched, but as long as the picture threads for some odd reason belong in OT, A&E won't be a succes.

Move the babe and cool picture threads to A/E where they will draw some audience.

there's currently 4 threads that have been posted in within the past 2 week in the entire subforum. Clearly, not enough people use it to justify its existence.
How's about you post an absolutely scintillating thread there to liven it up?

I am not artsy at all, and not very much into popular entertainment.

Dear Admins:

Could you please put a stop to all these incredibly annoying calls to eliminate a forum that the posters in question don't post in and seem to take pleasure in denigrating just because it's apparently a fun thing to do, and to hell with the people who actually do use and enjoy that forum? Do these disrespectful posters not realize that there are activities going on there that don't logically fit anywhere else, and the people involved are happy and grateful to finally have a little corner of the forum where they can fit in?

I don't see the point in the Humor & Jokes forum since practically nothing in there is funny (okay, a couple of lolpics made me smile... a long while ago). But I'm also not repeatedly asking for it to be eliminated, merged into OT, or whatever else.

To the people who don't like A&E for whatever reason: You don't like it? Fine, you don't have to post there. Nobody's going to force you to read anything there. The admins said you could post in OT if you really must talk about some TV show and you don't want to scroll down a little farther to do it. Now please leave the rest of us to our discussions of Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, writing, webcomics, other TV shows, and everything else that goes on there or will be going on there.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

What Valka said.

Dear Admins:

Could you please put a stop to all these incredibly annoying calls to eliminate a forum that the posters in question don't post in and seem to take pleasure in denigrating just because it's apparently a fun thing to do, and to hell with the people who actually do use and enjoy that forum? Do these disrespectful posters not realize that there are activities going on there that don't logically fit anywhere else, and the people involved are happy and grateful to finally have a little corner of the forum where they can fit in?

Firstly, this isn't about you, stop trying to make it about you.

Secondly, there is literally nothing in A&E that can't fit in elsewhere in the forum.

Thirdly, because that subforum has such little activity, it results in very little conversation of anything that happens to be posted. Those discussions would benefit from being included in other higher traffic areas of the forum.

I don't see the point in the Humor & Jokes forum since practically nothing in there is funny (okay, a couple of lolpics made me smile... a long while ago). But I'm also not repeatedly asking for it to be eliminated, merged into OT, or whatever else.

Except there's two major differences between the existence of H&J and A&E. One, H&J is considerably more active than the graveyard that is A&E. Two, H&J provides a different tone to the thread which provides greater leeway for potentially offensive content. Such distinction in tone is unnecessary for A&E, it is more or less equivalent to OT.

To the people who don't like A&E for whatever reason: You don't like it? Fine, you don't have to post there. Nobody's going to force you to read anything there. The admins said you could post in OT if you really must talk about some TV show and you don't want to scroll down a little farther to do it. Now please leave the rest of us to our discussions of Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, writing, webcomics, other TV shows, and everything else that goes on there or will be going on there.

I liked A&E, and I've posted a fair bit in the subforum over the years. However, it has clearly reached a point where it's very difficult to justify having it as a separate entity. If you renamed A&E to DYOS & Doctor Who, there'd be one active thread not covered by that description. There's less reason to keep A&E around than there was to justify keeping the split OT.

The only reason I bother to make an argument to merge most of A&E back into OT is because I care somewhat about it. Sci & Tech has similar issues, but I couldn't care less about what happens to that subforum. To suggest that I'm somehow doing this to troll you is absurd. If I wanted to do that I have plenty more entertaining ways to do it.

Firstly, this isn't about you, stop trying to make it about you.
Where did I say it was about me? I didn't, so stop accusing me of doing so.

It's true that I probably have a greater interest in that forum than most around here, since I was one of the people who lobbied for it for quite some time. For this and other reasons, I do have an attachment to A&E. Therefore, every time I see someone trying to stir this issue up again, I get annoyed and speak up.

Secondly, there is literally nothing in A&E that can't fit in elsewhere in the forum.
Yeah, it's technically possible to move all the A&E threads to other forums. But that would just result in a bunch of really upset people, since the DYOS guys spent YEARS being shuffled around the forum, with little or no regard for their threads or what this activity actually is. The people who want to have ongoing discussions about Star Trek, Doctor Who, Star Wars, various writing projects, and a whole lot else would prefer not to have to dig for them through dozens of serial threads and the soon-to-be-dozens of threads about the next U.S. election.

Thirdly, because that subforum has such little activity, it results in very little conversation of anything that happens to be posted. Those discussions would benefit from being included in other higher traffic areas of the forum.
There's also a lot less spam and thread derailment.

Except there's two major differences between the existence of H&J and A&E. One, H&J is considerably more active than the graveyard that is A&E. Two, H&J provides a different tone to the thread which provides greater leeway for potentially offensive content. Such distinction in tone is unnecessary for A&E, it is more or less equivalent to OT.
I don't care how active H&J is. My point was that I don't like that forum, I think some of the content is downright offensive, and it should be removed. But I'm not being selfish enough to advocate the elimination of the whole forum.

I liked A&E, and I've posted a fair bit in the subforum over the years. However, it has clearly reached a point where it's very difficult to justify having it as a separate entity. If you renamed A&E to DYOS & Doctor Who, there'd be one active thread not covered by that description. There's less reason to keep A&E around than there was to justify keeping the split OT.
Is this the "new math"? :huh: I'm pretty sure that Star Trek, Star Wars, various individual TV shows, the several NaNoWriMo threads that are active at certain times throughout the year (NaNoWriMo contests run during the months of April, July, and November), the numerous other threads about writing, and yet others about books and stories and artwork are not topics that would fall into either DYOS or Doctor Who.

The only reason I bother to make an argument to merge most of A&E back into OT is because I care somewhat about it. Sci & Tech has similar issues, but I couldn't care less about what happens to that subforum. To suggest that I'm somehow doing this to troll you is absurd. If I wanted to do that I have plenty more entertaining ways to do it.
Given the fact that I only read your posts when they're in Site Feedback, whatever your methods are have been lost on me, since I haven't seen them.

This isn't only about me. I'm not the only person who feels strongly about keeping A&E as it is. I just happen to be the person most vocal about it.

Maybe it's enough to just not move threads between OT and A&E whatever the topic is.

Maybe it's enough to just not move threads between OT and A&E whatever the topic is.
And if certain people would stop abandoning their OP when the thread's moved to A&E, that'd help, too.

Something else that might help is to have a longer display cut-off. A&E traffic has slowed down since the forum started, but there are a lot of worthwhile threads, most of which the idle visitor won't see because they're months old. Most content is also not rabidly adverse to thread necros like in other fora.

Dear Admins:

Could you please put a stop to all these incredibly annoying calls to eliminate a forum that the posters in question don't post in

It is unnecessary to prohibit this conversation in site feedback.

It is also unnecessary to close a less active forum that still has a small dedicated following. It would take a LOT of convincing about how things will be oh so much better before I would seriously consider doing that. A little bit of carping about low traffic does not even cross the maybe I should think about it threshold.

Since azzaman333 hasn't declared a winner for the Comedy Improv One Liner Thread after more than 48 hours, destroy that thread.

:mischief:

And if certain people would stop abandoning their OP when the thread's moved to A&E, that'd help, too.

Something else that might help is to have a longer display cut-off. A&E traffic has slowed down since the forum started, but there are a lot of worthwhile threads, most of which the idle visitor won't see because they're months old. Most content is also not rabidly adverse to thread necros like in other fora.
People can adjust their user preferences to show more threads and posts. Mine are set to the maximum: 40 posts/page, 40 threads/page, and I want to see threads all the way back to the beginning. There's a treasure trove of threads from years back, and I know I'll be making use of them in several threads I've been planning both in A&E and in OT.

I have no idea what the default setting is - 20 posts/page, 20 threads/page, threads going back 2 weeks, or is it 30 days? It should be possible to increase that via the admin panel.

It is unnecessary to prohibit this conversation in site feedback.

It is also unnecessary to close a less active forum that still has a small dedicated following. It would take a LOT of convincing about how things will be oh so much better before I would seriously consider doing that. A little bit of carping about low traffic does not even cross the maybe I should think about it threshold.
It is also unnecessary to keep bringing up this conversation when the poster knows it's going to seriously rile up the very people who would be most negatively affected if the admins were to accede to the poster's request.

In short, it's just plain rude to keep acting like A&E is this Urgent Problem That Needs To Go Away when the people who use this forum know otherwise, and evidently the admins don't consider it an Urgent Problem either. That's why I asked if there could be a stop to these threads that accomplish nothing except to start an argument and get some of us angry with whoever posts the thread (and those who support the OP).

Dear Admins:

This

10 chairs

Top Bottom