When does Civ 4 make you laugh?

The title of this thread says it all. What in this game makes you laugh out loud. I'll begin with what just happened in my current game. I'm in the middle of my aggressive challenge game, at the beginning of a turn Ragnar renounce's his protection from Stalin to become the free state, only to agree to become a vassal of Stalin. Sometimes the Ai does stupid things that make me laugh. What happens in the game to make you laugh? I'd love to hear other players funny stories.

For me it's when I've just finished my prep for war and have my multiple SOD's on the boarder ready for that first turn blitz and they declare on you that turn and move their sod right next to mine on open ground in my territory. SEEYA

Hmm...one time Mansa Musa spent about 400 years as my peacevassal, while I conquered everyone else on his continent (after having conquered my own continent).

So by about 1900 I'm a world-bestriding colossus. I demand some resources from Mansa for the lulz...and he actually DOWs me.

It was a short war.

I was setting up a testrun for my mod, and donno why just started playing instead.
After a while, I see that I'm the Aztecs (always doing Random, and since test didnt really notice.)

I'm thinking to myself "At least I'm not neighbouring crazy Monty..."
Hits enter
Meets Shaka...

Laughed...

edit : Proof ;)
Spoiler :

When my people build Aqueducts that lead straight into the open ocean.

Seraiel said:
As a german, I have no sense of humor, so I don't laugh while playing CIV. ^^

kek :crazyeye:

Well, there was this one time my wife was mad at me about something. She's fussin', I'm fussin', but I'm still mostly playing Civ, so I hit enter... and...

"You have discovered Drama!"

:rolleyes: I know, game, I know

The title of this thread says it all. What in this game makes you laugh out loud. I'll begin with what just happened in my current game. I'm in the middle of my aggressive challenge game, at the beginning of a turn Ragnar renounce's his protection from Stalin to become the free state, only to agree to become a vassal of Stalin. Sometimes the Ai does stupid things that make me laugh. What happens in the game to make you laugh? I'd love to hear other players funny stories.

This happened in my last game, too. Zara declared independence and in the same turn he joined Hannibal again. :crazyeye:

I don't laugh, but it always put a smile on my face when I'm doing an early rush, move my stack next to AI city, press enter hoping they don't whip another unit between turns, see that one more dot appearing above their archer to indicate another unit and hover over it to discover they built me a worker. It's surprising how often this happens if you have stolen the worker(s) they had.

When Napoleon suicided his stack of 20+ cuirs and a bunch of low tech units into my 3 heavily upgraded city defender infantries. That saved me a lot of time, didn't have to rat them out of his capitol.

Some days ago, Charlemagne was the Apostolic Palace Resident. He hated me, too, we were the 2 powers in the world, with the other civs ditributed as vassals between us, the AP religion being present mainly on their side, altough its spread to some of my cities as well, but I didnt have enough impact to affect AP resolutions, just to accept the consequences. Then he started plotting war, no need to tell who the one possible target was, a few turns later he attacks me, but for some reason, the very turn he declares war, he files this AP resolution: "Stop the war against Charlemagne". Next turn: "You have made peace with Charlemagne" (He voted yes ofc). I think thats the shortest war Ive been involved with, no casualties in either side.

Emperor difficulty, standard settings. True story. Can somebody explain?

Forgive my English.

Some days ago, Charlemagne was the Apostolic Palace Resident. He hated me, too, we were the 2 powers in the world, with the other civs ditributed as vassals between us, the AP religion being present mainly on their side, altough its spread to some of my cities as well, but I didnt have enough impact to affect AP resolutions, just to accept the consequences. Then he started plotting war, no need to tell who the one possible target was, a few turns later he attacks me, but for some reason, the very turn he declares war, he files this AP resolution: "Stop the war against Charlemagne". Next turn: "You have made peace with Charlemagne" (He voted yes ofc). I think thats the shortest war Ive been involved with, no casualties in either side.

Emperor difficulty, standard settings. True story. Can somebody explain?

Forgive my English.

I think the AI votes "yes" for itself and everybody it has good relations with (sometimes pleased is enough, for some friendly is needed) . Vassals vote for their master, so that's why Charlemagne voted for himself and with all his vassals the vote ended positive.

Which decision is taken in the AP-vote afaik is completely random, except if diplomatic victory is possible. If it is, AI will always choose an AP-victory-vote over the other options.

He possibly only wanted to wage war against you, and not all your vassals. In that vassals messes up the AI's priorities when it comes to the AP choice and the decision to declare war.

[...] for some reason, the very turn he declares war, he files this AP resolution: "Stop the war against Charlemagne". Next turn: "You have made peace with Charlemagne" (He voted yes ofc). I think thats the shortest war Ive been involved with, no casualties in either side.[...]
This has happened in two of my games as well. I don't remember if the vote was on the exact same turn as the DoW; I think no vassals were involved. Anyway, when it happened for the second time, I looked into the source code, and I think this is what goes wrong: The decision is based on the current war success scores of both sides. If the war has just started, these scores are 0, i.e. it's a tie. Ties are counted as undesirable wars.
The BBAI mod (included in most mod packs) fixes this.

For reference, here's the code fragment:
Spoiler :
Code:
int iWarsWinning = 0;
int iWarsLosing = 0;
int iChosenWar = 0;
//Are we winning wars?
for (iI = 0; iI < MAX_CIV_TEAMS; iI++) {
  if (GET_TEAM((TeamTypes)iI).isAlive()) {
    if (iI != ePeaceTeam) {
      if (GET_TEAM((TeamTypes)iI).isAtWar(ePeaceTeam)) {
        if (GET_TEAM((TeamTypes)iI).AI_getWarSuccess(ePeaceTeam) < GET_TEAM(ePeaceTeam).AI_getWarSuccess((TeamTypes)iI)) {
          ++iWarsWinning;
        }
        [COLOR="Red"]else ++iWarsLosing;[/COLOR]
        if (GET_TEAM(ePeaceTeam).AI_isChosenWar((TeamTypes)iI))
          ++iChosenWar;									
      }
    }
  }
}			
if (ePeaceTeam == getTeam()) {
  if (iWarsLosing < iChosenWar)
    bValid = false;
  [COLOR="Red"]else bValid = (iWarsWinning < iWarsLosing);[/COLOR]
}
Looking at the code now, vassals could exacerbate the problem. A lack of war success against two or more vassals would outweigh any success against their master.

This has happened in two of my games as well. I don't remember if the vote was on the exact same turn as the DoW; I think no vassals were involved. Anyway, when it happened for the second time, I looked into the source code, and I think this is what goes wrong: The decision is based on the current war success scores of both sides. If the war has just started, these scores are 0, i.e. it's a tie. Ties are counted as undesirable wars.
The BBAI mod (included in most mod packs) fixes this.

For reference, here's the code fragment:
Spoiler :
Code:
int iWarsWinning = 0;
int iWarsLosing = 0;
int iChosenWar = 0;
//Are we winning wars?
for (iI = 0; iI < MAX_CIV_TEAMS; iI++) {
  if (GET_TEAM((TeamTypes)iI).isAlive()) {
    if (iI != ePeaceTeam) {
      if (GET_TEAM((TeamTypes)iI).isAtWar(ePeaceTeam)) {
        if (GET_TEAM((TeamTypes)iI).AI_getWarSuccess(ePeaceTeam) < GET_TEAM(ePeaceTeam).AI_getWarSuccess((TeamTypes)iI)) {
          ++iWarsWinning;
        }
        [COLOR="Red"]else ++iWarsLosing;[/COLOR]
        if (GET_TEAM(ePeaceTeam).AI_isChosenWar((TeamTypes)iI))
          ++iChosenWar;									
      }
    }
  }
}			
if (ePeaceTeam == getTeam()) {
  if (iWarsLosing < iChosenWar)
    bValid = false;
  [COLOR="Red"]else bValid = (iWarsWinning < iWarsLosing);[/COLOR]
}
Looking at the code now, vassals could exacerbate the problem. A lack of war success against two or more vassals would outweigh any success against their master.

I could give you an ellaborate answer pretending I understood any of that coding you put there, but the chance of screwing up and look like an idiot is just too big.

That happened in my current game, too:

I was finishing Saladin (he declared on me early; I called Suleiman (who was plotting against me) and De Gaulle to help...; later Kublai also declared on him... but annoying Saladin destroyed all of their armies and managed to capture 2 French cities; I was happy with one Saladin's city, for now), and Suleiman came with his stack through my territory to declare war on Saladin again. I said: "Oh, crap, he will take one of 2 last Saladin's cities 1 turn before me!" But next turn he declared and, as the AP leader, in the same time he called for the resolution to stop the war against himself!

Spoiler :

He voted "yes". We all voted "yes". Except, Saladin! Who was on his knees with only 2 crappy cities left!

Spoiler :

When Suleiman made peace with Saladin, one of my cannons was "in" his SoD / tile. Then he marched back home. Suddenly, I saw a cannon with the Ottoman flag. Whaaat?!?!?! He was terrible in teching so far, how the hell he has Steel already?! Of course, he hadn't "Steel". He somehow took the cannon from me!!! My cannon was really gone. Suleiman is my next target, that's for sure. :mad:

Spoiler :

Suleiman is crazy throughout the whole game. He was the first to finish The Oracle - in 200AD!

Spoiler :

When Isabella is reduced to one city on an all out devestating war with Brennus ask med to stop trading with said Brennus, who is my closest neighbour and whos power ecplises mine by a far margin - and I tell her no - and she leans closer to the screen giving me the evil eye telling me to chose my friends wisely. Well, lady, that's excatly what I'm doing. :lol:

I remember I conquered with a SOD a city of an other AI civ in modern times.The city was still surrounded by enemy territory and my enemy civ throws a nuke on his own city to destroy my SOD...
AI nuking his own people made me laugh.

Top Bottom