I want Alpha Centauri 2!!

my fav:
- Sid Meier's Diaspora Earth

Wouldn't it be nice once that FTL communication/travel get discovered that SMAC colonists go back to earth and reconquer?
...and you were surprisingly close, seeing the Civilization: Beyond Earth announcement today. And, in fact, reconquering Earth seems to be on the cards:
Will Miller said:
You leave Earth in a very ambiguous state. They're on the mend, but resources are running low, and you're not really sure, so you re-establish communication with Earth and then you build a warpgate and if you're the Supremacy player and go for the emancipation victory, you send military units through the warpgate to conquer - to emancipate earth, to bring it in line with you.
(from here)

I, for one, welcome our new Beyond Earth overlords!

I was so ecxited to see the news of Beyond Earth, but it was shattered when I read an IGN article...

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/...auri-territory-with-civilization-beyond-earth

"But David McDonough, Beyond Earth’s co-lead designer, says this isn’t a retread of that classic. “This game is not an Alpha Centauri sequel or prequel. It’s its own idea, its own experience, based on the idea of the future of mankind on an alien world,” he explains."

What I wanted was strictly an Alpha Centauri, successor in actuality or spiritual, not a new game. I did NOT want a game with its own idea...
I am completely certain that this will be a game that will match AC but that's not the point. The developer says as much: it's no AC.
Well, I did want an AC, if not in name, then at least in spirit. I guess I won't be paying as much attention to this any more.
Sigh... What a letdown... A day's euphoria just went down like that...

Returning to Earth can actually happen in Alpha Centauri, if only in one of the epilogues:

Epilogue
^ The cold-sleep unit finally cycles open and you stretch muscles rusty from
decades of computer-managed disuse. But they are young muscles, shockingly young,
and it will be a pleasure to beat them back into shape. Orbital insertion
begins and you tingle with the excitement of your new mission and with the joy
of having returned to human form. Yes, you left a copy of your personality among the
Planetmind's giant matrix, but this copy, this human being $NAME1 now waking to
lead the first Seed mission, this is the only self now immediate to you and therefore
the only real you. You are flesh again, and so quite mortal, and for this too you
rejoice.
^ You despaired when Planet invited $NAME5 to join its dominant self, and
for a decade or more you moped about the bizarre virtual reality of the Undermind
with no coherent purpose, a lost spirit unable to die. But when the Seed missions
began, the Voice/Planet personality herself sought you out in the abyss and convinced
you to accept command of the {Prodigal Son}.
^ "Earth$NAME3, you are unfulfilled here and I have need of you. In ages to come
I shall have need of allies, sister Minds, if I am to keep the flame of conscious
thought from guttering out as the universe contracts or else expands to dust. Take
with you the gift of life, the seeds of all our species. Spread them to the stars,
across the galaxies, creating new civilizations, new minds, and enlisting the aid
of any you encounter. Go forth, Earth$NAME3. Go forth and multiply."
^ The maneuver at last complete, the safety shutters retract from the viewport
and you behold a sight lost to human eyes for over $NUM3 centuries. Deep blues, swirling
whites, the azure tint of a rich oxygen atmosphere. Inviting browns and greens of
continents basking in the sun, a few scattered impact craters the only visible signs of
a war now buried in the aeons. Third planet. Earth. Home.

What a beautiful way to lose a game. :)

I was so ecxited to see the news of Beyond Earth, but it was shattered when I read an IGN article...

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/...auri-territory-with-civilization-beyond-earth

"But David McDonough, Beyond Earth’s co-lead designer, says this isn’t a retread of that classic. “This game is not an Alpha Centauri sequel or prequel. It’s its own idea, its own experience, based on the idea of the future of mankind on an alien world,” he explains."

What I wanted was strictly an Alpha Centauri, successor in actuality or spiritual, not a new game. I did NOT want a game with its own idea...
I am completely certain that this will be a game that will match AC but that's not the point. The developer says as much: it's no AC.
Well, I did want an AC, if not in name, then at least in spirit. I guess I won't be paying as much attention to this any more.

:lol: What is wrong with some people?

Folks, let's keep the discussion to Alpha Centauri and its relation to CivBE. Thanks.

Don't take this too literally. they have to say it's totally new as SMAC is owned by EA and they cannot look like they are making a sequel to another companies product. It really is SMAC2 regardless of what they say: according to the interviews on gamespot and Time, it's got unit customization, ideologies, planet consiousness, aliens that attack as your terraform more, civ based city mechanics, techs, hell it's even built on the civ5 engine!

Don't take this too literally. they have to say it's totally new as SMAC is owned by EA and they cannot look like they are making a sequel to another companies product. It really is SMAC2 regardless of what they say: according to the interviews on gamespot and Time, it's got unit customization, ideologies, planet consiousness, aliens that attack as your terraform more, civ based city mechanics, techs, hell it's even built on the civ5 engine!
Also, while I'd like to a have a SMAC HD remake, we are only going to get a spiritual successor. And trying to tell the same story but with different names swapped in would... do SMAC a disservice. SMAC pushed 4X games forward, I would like to see something similar with Beyond Earth.

And I see a lot of SMAC's DNA here as well:
  • Blind research was a flavourful way of "simulating" new technology that is yet unknown, but it made strategy players unhappy (too random). The tech web is an interesting take on the same concept (no set path, yet not completely random).
  • Survival as key part of the early game, that's very much the atmosphere of SMAC for the early game. Hostile planet and so on... it seems to be all there.
  • Deciding the future of mankind. Check.
  • Asymmetric balance, i.e. you can develop radically different playstyles? That's something SMAC tried with the strong difference between factions, this seems like a refinement.
  • Taking hints from sci-fi novels and including story elements? That was specifically called out!

It's totally a spiritual successor. What it isn't is a clone with the serial numbers filed off. But that's what made SMAC great, it wasn't CivII with fancy names, it was its own thing. I hope Civ:BE will be the same and give me the same journey and sense of wonder SMAC game me while playing.

I find it's pretty cool how reminiscent the affinities are of Planetfall's ecology choices.

CivBE's Purity affinity is all about rebuilding Earth on the new planet. Planetfall's terraformed ecology is... all about rebuilding Earth on the new planet (maybe with an undercurrent of building Paradise, based on the Edenism religion). CivBE's Harmony affinity pretty much matches Planetfall's hybrid ecology, too. They're even very similar in gameplay from what I've heard - for instance, playing with a Planet-friendly (so, most likely Hybrid) ecology in Planetfall makes it easier to expand your borders for free and travel across the wilderness in relative safety, and I seem to recall reading something to a very similar effect about CivBE.

Matching Supremacy (robotic enhancement) with the enclosed ecology option (greenhouses and hydroponically grown food everywhere) is a bit of a longer shot, but I think even that can make sense. Those robotic systems *are* apart from nature, being neither pure human nor having anything to do with native life, and I think a theme of everything being very finely controlled and contained and using a lot of machines would go together well with the Supremacy affinity's theme. Purity players are going to have their vast terraformed farms and Harmony players their hybrid forests and whatever, but Supremacy is most comfortable making their food in pots and vats.

(Just in case there's confusion over this: While I'd hope that the authors have played Planetfall, because Maniac and the others really did have a lot of good ideas about how to improve on SMAC there, I'm absolutely not making plagiarism accusations here. The affinities are just a natural fit for how to get some good team conflict out of the kind of choices that mankind would have to make in that situation.)

Also, while I'd like to a have a SMAC HD remake, we are only going to get a spiritual successor.

Agreed on both points. I am hoping CivBE does well enough that EA licenses SMAC and we get SMAC HD later. Sadly, I think CivBE makes it less likely we will get SMAC HD. Anyone disagree with that?

And I see a lot of SMAC's DNA here as well ... It's totally a spiritual successor.

I don’t disagree, and I fully expect to enjoy CivBE on its own merits. But see this recent thread: Why do the franchise's veterans love Alpha Centauri?

The thing that made SMAC great was that it was a classic sci fi story in the form of a game, and how so much of the game mechanics provided the narrative. There is no hint that CivBE is a similar epic, and such a thing is really too much to expect. Even with availabilty from GoG, I think the full SMAC experience would be new to the majority of CivV players. From what we know of CivBE, the plot pales in comparison.

But that's what made SMAC great, it wasn't CivII with fancy names, it was its own thing. I hope Civ:BE will be the same and give me the same journey and sense of wonder SMAC game me while playing.

I fear that your hopes are too high.

I still hope that one day someone publishes anything true alike.

Blind research was a flavourful way of "simulating" new technology that is yet unknown
In deed, one of the clever concepts. I like that setting.

I still hope that one day someone publishes anything true alike.

In deed, one of the clever concepts. I like that setting.

It will only be a matter of time until someone mods cbe into a true smac2, including the factions, planetary story etc.

Top Bottom