End of Empires - N3S III

There is a time in every life when you are forced to look back upon your life and attempt to examine it under an educated light. To scrutinize each and every moment that you can remember, and to evaluate every admirable moment and every baleful concern that you had the fortune (or misfortune) of experiencing. For me, this is that time. Without hesitation, I must expose every intricate detail of my life for your eyes, and I must do so in plain sight. These are the terms of the proposal that was presented so long ago, and I have decided to comply with the terms. Therefore, I embarked upon this literary quest to dispense all knowledge that I have gathered upon these people and their customs.

[size=+2]Agh Mher[/size]
“Come into our confidence, foreigner.”

The drums echoed with a thick, constant beat that reverberated against the wooden walls. The structure was darkened, light banished from the domain in an ingenious fashion; under the leadership of one of their Ytaui, the men had gathered thick amounts of woolen sheets and hand hung them over the entrance. Furthermore, the i]Ytaui[/i] had demanded that the ceremony was to take place on the verge of sunset. And as such, the men had gathered as the sun began to dip below the horizon, and at their insistence I followed along behind into the room. As I have mentioned before, it was pitch-dark in the room, and so my vision was naturally limited; despite this I managed to make out the individual shapes of the men that had preceded me into the room gathered in a circle around the central circle of the room. Contrarily to the amount of light held within the structure, there was a small orange-red fire burning away in the center of the circle, and it was the fire that gave the shadows to the men.

Standing in the farthest position of the circle, the Ytaui stood his ground among the men despite lacking several key elements. He was a foot shorter than his contemporaries, his head barely reaching the shoulders of the other men. He stood a little wobbly on his position, the cause of this was self-evident, as the man limped on one leg and used a wooden crutch to support his other side; his left leg was missing below the knee. He was covered in a thick set of woolen cloaks, each one progressively heavier and burdensome upon its wearer. His face, left uncovered in the sheltered state of the wooden construction, was covered in numerous scars and a husky, black beard. His voice snapped through the repetitive echo of the drums; causing them to cease in operation. “Come into our confidence, foreigner.” His words, despite their rhythmic flow, lacked the grace of a native tongue; he spoke (to my surprise) in my own native tongue.

I nodded slowly, taking my place standing in the middle of the group with little hesitation. It almost surprised me a little at the ease at which I moved, somehow unconcerned with the symbolic meaning of the group. The Ytaui, paying little head to the apparent lack of interest I paid to his movements. The old man was moving along the outside of the circle, muttering phrases and going through many symbolic motions. He moved his left hand, the right being required to support his weight, in a circle before throwing it into the air, then swinging it back towards his own skull. He rambled on in Hinar; his men taking ease in his soothing repetitions. “We seek solace upon this new night, upon this new ground, upon this new life that enters our confidence. We seek the endurance and knowledge necessary to correctly guide this new life to its proper destination, and to properly divine the correct Eise.” The man finally stopped speaking, brushing into the center of the circle and kneeling in front of the fire.
Without warning, the old man threw his clutch to the ground and threw his head back, mane of graying hair flapping in the night. His head snapped back forward, and his eyes flew open with dramatic flair in the firelight. He grabbed a short oak pole off the ground, and suddenly began to dig into the soft earth that formed the floor of the structure. He dragged the pole through the ground, and formed a very simple line on the ground. He twisted his hand, and dug a second line that joined with the first to form a direct angle. He finished the diagram by twisted his pole in four short slashes, slicing through the dirt with ease.

Satisfied with his work, the old man dropped the short pole to his side and suddenly grabbed a small bag from one of the men standing near him. The bag was cut from a navy blue fabric and was smooth to the touch; it was barely larger than the average fist and was about the same heft. Ignoring my own curious glances, the old man pushed his left hand into the bag and quickly withdrew it. He gently rolled his hand once more, and tossed out several objects onto the diagram he had just finished drawing. Suddenly satisfied with the outcome of his toss, the old man pulled his head up and gave me a generous smile. “The fates favor you, my friend.”

-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-

“You will not speak unless spoken to first. You must always remember this- as a foreigner you must submit to the will of the natives. This is very import, and if you can keep to this you just might stand a chance in the city.” The old man said with a laugh, hobbling along. The dawn had broken since the previous night, and now we were making our way from the outside of the city into its delicate center. In an apparent, deliberate, opposite move of the general cramped quarters of the outside of the city, the inside was well spaced and featured large swaths of land closed off by wooden fences. These estates, no doubt the richest of the rich of the people, were well groomed and properly maintained- a cosmetic effort compared to the degrading outside of the central core. Walking along the dirt road that went into the Anmang Nicll- the old Ytaui that had taken me under his wing- was doing his best to breakdown everything necessary to ensure a proper meeting with the Throsrdyn. “If he leaves the room, you must follow him at a respectable distance- never close in more than three arms length to him. Most importantly, if he is to ever direct a question to you, make sure you answer in respectful terms- always add 'sir'.” he stressed, rolling the word across his tongue.

I nodded absentmindedly, suddenly consumed by a longing for my own home. My thoughts went back to the old brookside village, abruptly lusting for the opportunity to return. Sighing without much effort, I snapped my thoughts back to the current situation. “Of course. There is nothing to be shown to the Throsrdyn but respect and obedience. This is basic knowledge to even the most common fool.” I nodded, watching how Nicll took the response. To my pleasure, the old man took delight in my feeble response. The few minutes that it took us to reach the entrance of the Anmang passed in silence, and without any sort of rite, we passed into the threshold of the Avaimi.

To say the least, the entrance room was far less than I expected. Instead of a gilded palace, the small room was furnished in a wooden decor, and was done lightly. A few small benches had been placed in a square form, and numerous cushions sewn from dull wools. Other than these spare furnishings, the room was exotically barren. Except for the young man that rested upon of the wooden benches. He was young for his position, barely old enough to be considered free, and yet I found it ironic that he held the power over so many. He was attired in the common form of the people, and despite his upbringing, the young man had sheared his hair into a long, thin braid hung behind his head. Despite the sudden interjection of new appearances into his court, the young man stayed reclining upon the bench, staring apathetic against the ceiling. Yet, he suddenly spoke , voice meek in the quiet room. “Nicll, is this the one you spoke of?”

The old man nodded vigorously. “This is the one from the east. He has come to serve you, liege, from the far lands of the Tain. The months he has traveled mean little compared to his delight at the thought from your tutorship.” Nicll rambled on, heaping praise upon praise with no hesitation. Finally, after a few minutes of enduring the praise, the young man sat up and waved a interruption to the old teacher. “I daresay that I know he's pleased to be here. What I'm curious about is many things other than that. For instance, how well he understands our current conversation.” He cut his eyes my way, suddenly bringing silence into the room.

“I understand well, liege. It is a distinct honor to be here.” I answered dutifully, bowing my head as required.

The young man suddenly sprung to his feet, braid bouncing behind his head. “Very well. Follow me.” He commanded, exiting the room.

The Alainti

The Spectrum.

It is, in the very simplest terms, the very nature and fabric of Existence. It is what composes all around us, what builds us up, and what destroys us. The nature of the Spectrum is controversial, as even the most taught Ytaui lacks knowledge of all aspects of the issue. Therefore, we must begin with what is known and understood. By definition, the Alainti- the Spectrum- is the concept of Existence in motion. The Spectrum is a simplified concept in which the two forces of the world ('Runn' and 'Rhidtath') that exist and oppose each other. Through different translations are common for the concepts, the most common renderings of the word “Runn” is “Construction”, defined as the force behind act of creation. On the other hand, 'Rhidtath' is most often translated as “deconstruction” , defined as the force behind the act of destruction. These two forces are often rendered on a simple line chart, called the Eise, which is considered the lowest level that existence can be described with. Below is a very simple Eise, listing the concepts of Runn and Rhidtath, and the meeting grounds of the two: Caghr (the balance.)

[]-------------------------------[]---------------------------[]
Runn--------------------------Caghr----------------------Rhidtath

Most Ytauzians believe that in order to ascend the mortal realm and reach the Afterworld, they must adhere to the middle ground of the two forces. This means that they will attempt to adhere to a balance of the two forces, attempting to honor the Caghr foremost. However, there are those in the world who do not adhere to the the Caghr, but rather play their hand into one of the two forces. Those who follow the Runn are called Eshyan, and despite being creators, they are often more destructive than their counterparts. This is because they tend to be people who see it their job to 'create' a new world, and in order to do that they must impose their will upon the old world. The followers of the Rhidtath are called the Aghan- unlike the Eshyan, the Aghan are far fewer in numbers, through the Aghans tend to be far more devoted to their cause. The Eshyans and Aghans tend to be the far minority of the populace, as the belief in the Caghr is by far the strongest adherence. The followers of the Caghr are called the Akimens.

In addition to the two forces of existence there are four elements- Col (Warmth), Canl (Lack of warmth), Diam (The Physical), and Scheinaim (the Unphysical). These four elements are considered the makeup of everything in existence, and through the manipulations of the forces, all that exists comes into direct being. The four elements, called the Anlsult, are arranged in a simple chart with the two forces in order to show the composition of the major elements of life. These charts, along with simple tokens, are used to divine the interaction of the Existence. The Eise are among the greatest part of the philosophy Ytauzi, and are among the first things learned by apprentices.

[1]Agh Mher{Ahgh Mhayr}- “One Year”, or “Year One”.
[2]Ytaui{Yah-tai]- a scholar educated in Ytauzi. Translates to 'teacher'.
[3]Hinar{Hin-r}- “Speech”, the name of the Avaimian tongue- technically called Bhe-Hinar, “Our Speech”.
[4]Eise {Ess}- A chart used to divine the forces and elements of existence.
[5]Anmang {Ahn-mang}- The central complex of the Throsrdyn, the ruling figure of the people.

EDIT:
or NPC stats (and Avaimi; sorry Dark ).

Seeing that I just finished that pathetic "story", I hold no qualms.

Kathdi Orders Sent.

What? Krato has kept the old Chief system for this entire NES. It's more of a feudal system than a republic.

Republic technically means "not a monarchy" in most non-modern usages of the word. :p If you want me to change it, I will.

Republic technically means "not a monarchy" in most non-modern usages of the word. :p

lurker's comment: Poles really can't agree with you on that one. ;)

lurker's comment: Poles really can't agree with you on that one. ;)
Poles really can't agree with anybody about anything. See OT.

lurker's comment: Okay, umm... the Principate?

A Moon Unshattered
It was an empire that stretched across a distance beyond reckoning. It was a land of great splendor, grandeur, and might easily radiate from her capital. It was a peaceful land of tranquility ruled by mighty-rulers, the God-Kings they were known. His sun was at his apex, and nothing could have stopped him.

He was the God-King Ming.

And he ruled the land of the Gods with an iron yet soft fist. Beloved and feared by his people, his reign lasted for over 100,000 seasons. With a wave of his arm, great fields became cultivated. Mountains torn down for their metal, weapons being forged in the crucible with an army crushing all opposition, Ming was invincible. It was during the later stages of his reign, that rumors came from the south from primitives.

The God-King, forever seeking new subjects prepared an army to conquer them. As the great armies marched across the mountains, it was they who rose up. They, the Ava, the blood-traitors to the God-Kings who had forever refused his rightful worship for the God-Kings were the creators of life. They rose by the hundreds of thousands, and with their terrible magicks fought to destroy the beautiful edifice of might raised by the God-Kings.

The armies were withdrawn, and the southern primitives saved by the infidelity of the Ava. Massive battles wrecked the land as both man and magick fought for control of the land of the Gods. The Three Hallowed Ones, the most loyal of the mortal servants of the God-King Ming fought the Ava in His Name. For the Ava faithful did not worship their creator nor their ancestors, but believed that for every good, there must be an equally strong evil.

And to fight the mighty good of the God-Kings, they corrupted the minds of many formerly loyal servants and turned them against their Rightful Lord. Finally, it came to an end. The God-King Ming, his heart and mind broken by the betrayal of his most faithful subjects and their corruption by the Ava, ascended to Heaven. He left the Kingdom of the Gods to The Three Hallowed Ones who emboldened by their God-King’s ascent to Heaven prepared such powerful magicks to finally destroy the Ava after decades of deaths and chaos.

Summoning the spirits of God-Kings past as well as the powers of nature and the spirit realm, they cast the leader of the despised Ava into the darkness forever stripping him and his followers of their connection to nature and the spirit realm. Now unopposed, they unleashed the might of their full powers and of the armies bequeathed to them by their Master the God-King against the foul Ava and in battles told and retold in the lore and legends of old, they broke them.

They slaughtered the Ava, mercilessly for that was the due payment to blood-traitors of the highest order. None would be spared, women, children and the aged were all slaughtered wherever the Ava were found. The Ava were finally vanquished, their numbers reduced to an insignificant number and banished far, far away for their crimes against their God and King. The land and the people rejoiced in the peace that came with the utter crushing of the Ava, and all were happy.

The Three Hallowed Ones were rewarded by Heaven for their great deeds in finally exacting fitting punishment against the Ava and were allowed to ascend to Heaven as immortals. As a final punishment, Heaven cursed the Ava to forever remain unwary of their true crimes and allowed them to cry their persecution, not knowing the truth and extent of their punishment. For this lack of knowledge and understanding, would doom the Ava forever until they had paid their penance.

Yet, unknowingly, the line of God-Kings had been broken by Ming’s untimely ascent and the Three Hallowed Ones’ own ascendancy. And as such, the Empire began to weaken with the blood of so many slain people, even if they were lowlife Ava going against the natural order. For even if the people had been corrupted fully by the Ava, they were not to be punished harshly, for the people are weak and fickle and must be treated like children by their rulers and because of that, the Empire fell.

The great cities burned, farmland was overturned, forests re-emerged, as the civilized lands were swallowed by nature for their desecration of the large scale slaughter of otherwise loyal subjects. For a father cannot too harshly punish his sons, for they are of his own blood, to spill their blood would be to spill his own and the laws of nature does not allow that.

Time came and went, as the people struggled to recover. Thus, on the frontiers of the ancient land, a lord came and restored order and peace. His name was Hao, and his would be the lordly house of Liang, descent from one of the agnatic lines of The Three Hallowed Ones. In the city of Dongchan, surrounded by the ruins of the city of old, he would rebuild his ancestral land.

The Duchy of Liang, would restore the Empire of the God-Kings.

OOC: That's only because nobody else does ANYTHING similarly to being East Asiatic :p (Though I highly approve of the Ancestral Cult) ;)

EDIT: In addition, they look rather white...

Glory for a Madman

In the distance birds chirped as the sun rose over the horizon, illuminating Anzai with an orange glow. Already the people of Anzai were preparing to start their day, shadows moving in the city. Many went to the shore to clean their bodies and tools from the grime accumulated from the hard work that went on in Anzai. Merchants began to set up shop, eagerly waiting customers to buy their rare goods gathered from the nearby jungle. Within a couple hours the sleepy city had become a bustling center of activity.

On this particular day a message had arrived, carried by a small vessel from the mainland. Low Chief Brangi gathered up the people of the city to hear the announcement.

“A message from the High Chiefs has been received,” he started. “We are to prepare for the arrival of any expedition force that will be mapping out the area and protecting Anzai and the lands surrounding it. We are urged to help these men in any way we can and to give them no trouble. Any actions that hinder their progress will be harshly punished.”

The crowd had mixed reactions. Some faces were blank, not thinking much of the expedition force. Some thought highly of this news, thinking that the force could conquer some much needed land. And yet others were uneasy about the idea. Anzai was a small city with limited resources. An expedition party might make things uncomfortable. But realized that there was nothing they could do about the men coming to Anzai. And so they went back to whatever they were doing, letting the message slowly drift out of their weary minds.

2 weeks later…

“Father, I see it,” A boy called out. He was pointing out towards the sea. A great many ships could be seen crawling across the water like sea-snakes. They looked almost ominous against the empty sky, quietly moving towards the coast.

The landing was a cause for a great deal of commotion. People gathered around the beach as men exited the boats, carrying with them bronze katars and colorful flags showing which families they were members of. However, what amazed the people of Anzai the most were the elephants. While a few mahouts lived in the colonies elephants are generally dirty and look ill. These elephants looked clean and strong. The howdahs that the men began to put on the elephants’ backs looked much more sturdy and spectacular than any in the colonies. It was truly a sight to behold for the colonials.

While most were gawking at the elephants another strange thing came off of a ship. It was Covo, High Chief of the colonies. He rode atop his elephant, which was decorated with gold and bronze. Covo himself didn’t look all too spectacular though. His glare made the adults uneasy and made children scared. Finally, after inspecting his troops and taking a long gaze at the walls of Anzai he dismounted his elephant and approached Low Chief Brangi.

“I assume you received the message Brangi. What provisions have you supplied for us?” Covo asked, his voice sounding agitated.

“Well High Chief Covo sir, we have provided a great stored of food. We even have some leftover grain from shipment that came last month.” Brangi answered.

“Good to see that you understand the seriousness of this mission of ours. Slip-ups are not going to be tolerated. On the mainland people may have the power to over rule me, but out here, I’m boss.” With that, Covo marched back to his elephant and ordered his men to go into the city to gather supplies. Like locusts they picked the city clean of supplies. Some people even complained that their food was stolen out of their homes. But there was nothing they could do.

That night the men of Covo sat around their campfires, listening with wonder at the jungle’s alien noises. They looked almost like children, gazing at some shiny trinket that was being held over their heads. Strange roars could be heard from the dark woods as clouds of birds shot into the red night sky. Then, the men heard a blast come from a horn. And not just any horn, Covo’s horn. He was in the middle of camp, illuminated by a single torch.

“Alright men, here’s our plan for tomorrow!” He shouted “Everyone is to get into their respective Igog [1] and meet up in the center of the camp. Mahouts will gather their elephants and armor up them up. Then we’ll push south with elephants in front, crushing and cutting down trees to make paths, any questions?”

“I do High Chief,” a man said nervously. “What are we going to find in the jungle?”

“That’s the fun part,” Covo replied. That night the explorers wondered what dangerous monsters they would have to face on their journey. Some didn’t sleep, unnerved by the sounds of the jungle which seemed to have gotten scarier since Covo’s announcement. Covo slept soundly, thinking of the glory he would get for discovering some valuable spices or minerals. Perhaps he would find a lost remnant of the Great Family. It didn’t matter; glory would be his, one way or another.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Igog is a Kratoan military unit. It usually consists of members of the same family. Average size: 20-100 men.

From the sea, they returned. Year after year they raided the Pirate Havens. They patrolled the seas and restocked their supplies from smaller cities as they traveled. They have fought. They have defended. They have resisted Pirate Lords of dozen ships and stormed the small random Corsair of the seas. They are the Sea Stalkers. Pirate hunters of Treha. But for years they are away from the homeland. They are happy they will be home soon. They know there they can rest for some time and find their families...

As their small fleet sailed above the Horizon they saw a Statue of their Sea Lord raising his arm stopping the ravages of the sea from the ships bellow, his net catching the evil ones with the ships herding the ones into it. They gasped as they saw the thousands of workers building under the sun. Hundreds of men are hanging from scaffolding. They saw then look toward the sea and then cheer. They saw the wonder before their eyes.

The Old Harbor of Treha, ancient it was. Was rebuilt. A wide half circle full of ships contain half thousand ships from nearly all known ports. A long ditch lead into a new complex of buildings and moors. Wide markets are being planned and as the Sea Stalkers sailed in they are welcomed by the workers.

Glad they are. The pirates are becoming fewer near these parts. Many merchants find the lanes and harbors safer than ever before. More warehouses and Shipwrights are springing up. A constant stream of merchants and their wares streamed to a market while another stream of sailers walked to the Taverns. As they came closer, smiles showing on their salted faces, the King himself came out to see them. He stood there to receive the Heros. And a small feast for all the workers started in a warehouse.

"Blessed", he called the Stalkers of the Sea, "For they have been of many who helped us to much Prosperity!" he called to cheers, "They have returned after many years to find a project just started almost done. They have stopped many Raiders of the Seas and Pirate Lords! They have stopped together scores of ships of the High Sea! For today, one of the Sea Stalker fleets return to our ports! Welcome Heros! Forevermore shall you be blessed! With your adventures of the seas you helped you land to become greater than before. Ask what you want, and you will have it."

"We do not want anything", said the weary captain of the fleet, "but rest and our families. Thank you, my king, for gracing our men. We have not done much yet have done many. We now return to a land Better than before. Thank you.", and he bowed. "Let us go, let us find our families and rest."

"You deserve this wise gift", declared the King,"Your families will be with you tonight, for it will be a day of feasting. A Fleet of heros returned to Treha! Rejoice!"

The Sea Stalker Fleet's feat passed into stories of the old. The first fleet to capture a Pirate Lord. The First fleet to capture more than 25 Pirate ships. They will live forever in Trehan Memory. They will be forever remembers as helpers into greatness...

Spoiler Parts of Ship's Log :

7 Months after Port
We arrive in Ortheron. A small port in the Isles where a Pirate Lord is rumored to rule with a dozen ships and a brace of towns. We approached and noticed small crafts sailing south.

Fortnight after Otheron

The Patrols found ships, they sailed closer in Trehan Flag and was fired upon. A signal Fire Arrow was fired. While our side fired a special Whisle arrow. As the Vangaurd of the fleet arrived the Pirate Fleet come from the north. After some casualties they retreated. We noticed that they are heading due toward a small town.

Yuvia

The capital of the Pirate Lord Juaven [Ho-a-ven] His ships sailed to attack. We surrounded them with our fewer numbers and they surrenders. He turned them in at Ortheron.

End of Log
We started with 10 Ships. 60 Marines. 140 Support and 500 or so rowers.

We lost 3 Ships, 24 Marines. 56 Supports and 100 or so Rowers.
We Received 8 refitted Pirate Craft, 39 Marines, 81 Support and 150 or so Rowers by the end.
We captured and/or destroyed 30 or so Pirate Craft and two Great Pirate Lords

*I assume Pirate Lords as those with enough ships to overpower a group of villages and control a shipyard, I have not drawn a map so just assume. I assume there are many small 'Pirate Fleets' and a tiny group of Pirate run towns that are taken. Just assuming. If not, tell me and I will delete story.

(need to check sources...)

Destiny's Fight
Alun stood in the canyon, with two sheer sandstone cliffs on either side of him. His second and a scout came up to him.
"What is it?" he asked, watching the sun rise.

"The barbarians,", replied his second, "are unfortunately more organized than we had expected. We are... surrounded. They have both sides of the canyon under their control."

Alun flew into a rage, "WHAT? How could we have been outflanked by these... these... barbarians? Surely we are smarter than them!"

"I do not know, sir." the second said, with a slight quiver in his voice. "It seemed like we might very well lose this battle. We are stuck in the middle of the narrowest point of the canyon, where our larger numbers do not count for anything. And to make it worse, it seemed like the barbarians had even more people coming."

At this, Alun caught something. "Seemed? What happened? Did they leave?"

"No sir, but this scout here discovered a pass to the top of the canyons, with an excellent view for archers to attack the men below."

"Really?" he asked the scout. The scout bowed and verified it. "Well then, I have an idea.Get all the men on top of the cliffs, and equip them with anything that can be thrown.Send two forces to the backside of the barbarians' forces to surround them and prevent the escape. Utilize this new formation we discussed."

"Ah, yes. The barbarians will not know what hit them."

The following battle was perhaps best summed up by the following observation:
Barbarian army size before attack: Around 1100.
Barbarian army size after attack: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------

My stories aren't that long, I just observed. :p

Top Bottom