War is constantly declared on me. Any tips?

nemesis464

Chieftain
I haven't had this problem until a week ago.

I've been playing Emperor difficulty on G&K and within the 100th turn, war had been declared on my 3 times.

I settled a new city which wasn't within 15 hexes of an enemy and I hadn't done anything to provoke then (amass troops etc).

The AI then sends out 8-10 units which wipes out my new city.
This early in the game, I have nothing to beat that many units, so have to forget about the city.

I settle another city in the complete opposite direction and war gets declared again by a different CIV and the same thing happens.

Whoever I'm at war with then just sends constant waves of troops at my capital so I can't do anything but defend, and by the time I fight them off, the enemy is so far in the lead.... and all the land around me is taken up.

I've tried going down to king, but all the see stuff keeps happening.

(I was Japan btw)

G+K AI is kind of aggressive to the max. But I don't think I've ever lost a city on emperor, certainly not as a military powerhouse like Japan. It sounds like you just aren't playing well economically and you get overwhelmed because of it. Without more information what you are doing and turn times, I can't offer much advice other than if you start next to a warrish AI, get construction quickly for comp bows.

Try to avoid settling cities that you can't defend and get composite bows quickly if you think you're going to be attacked. In BNW computers are a lot less aggressive, but in G+K computers will attack you if they see a weakness. You can also settle cities on a hill or in defensive positions if you're worried about getting attacked. If you're next to an aggressive computer, going tradition for the oligarchy +50% city strength bonus can be really helpful too.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comp bowmen rush probably would have been better then as I was close to Khan.

Although I hadn't thought of Augustus as major aggro before.

You don't need to rush anything but you do new a few units for defense. Sounds like you completely ignored defenses and thus became a target.

One archer/comp bow per city is plenty, especially if you can put a warrior in front of the city as a meat shield and group your ranged units near the city under attack.

Although I hadn't thought of Augustus as major aggro before.

Erm Yes - his UUs are early game. Left unchecked he grabs a decent slice of the world by war in the fairly early game then turtles for a SV.
I usually build the defender before the 3rd city settler and send them together - not sure what the consensus is on this though.

Top Bottom