Siam vs Greece: Battle of the Diplomatic Civilizations.

Siam vs Greece

• Total voters
Of course, playing Deity is a completely different game from playing Settler.

*huge unending sigh*

Better to not respond to that. But you did request I elaborate so I will. I felt it was ok to be "vague" regarding tradition because most of this stuff is widely agreed-on in other threads.

In wide empires in general you don't have much gold for a long time. There's no river gold. You're paying all your money for buildings and units. Out of the entire array of policies trees there's like only two policies that that give you more gold outside of the capital? In tall starts with tradition you have less to pay for and a large amount of free gold to pay for it with. Tall empires are richer. More gold for CSs comes really soon. This is generally agreed on.

Wide empires are also penalized vis-a-vis the "use the AI as an early game cash-cow and worker farm" strategy that sustains Deity players, because the AI doesn't befriend you if you expand past 4 cities. Similarly, tall starts are less impressive on lower difficulties because there's less bonus to milking the AI early-game.

The bottom line is that there are strategies that are so reliable and strong on level 7 or 8 they make half of the game mechanics trivial by guaranteeing success. When you compare civ bonuses with half of the mechanics being trivial, of course that skews their worth. When you play a strategy that maximizes revenue and guarantees being allied with a lot of CS's, of course you prefer the UA that enhances already-aquired alliances.

When you eschew those strategies, or generally if you struggle more in your games - because why should the experience of non-Diety players ever be discounted anyway - then clearly you prefer the UA that increases acquired alliances two-fold or more.

You said "Siam's UA is superior because it synergies well with going tall", meaning that 'going tall is the only way one would ever want to play.' I say Greece's UA is better, precisely because it's not.

In wide empires in general you don't have much gold for a long time. There's no river gold. You're paying all your money for buildings and units. Out of the entire array of policies trees there's like only two policies that that give you more gold outside of the capital? In tall starts with tradition you have less to pay for and a large amount of free gold to pay for it with. Tall empires are richer. More gold for CSs comes really soon. This is generally agreed on.
I disagree that wide empires have fewer opportunities at generating gold. If you are playing wide (I'm assuming you mean 6 cities is a wide empire) You don't have to focus as much on growth as you do in a Tall civ with 2-4 Cities. You can in fact work that 3gold Plantation or that Silver or Gold hill instead of the farm. You also don't have to put all the buildings in every one of you cities and subsequently incur all the building maintenance. The amount of units you have to build between a 4 city empire and a 6 city empire is mostly static as walls on your front don't have maintenance costs.

Wide empires are also penalized vis-a-vis the "use the AI as an early game cash-cow and worker farm" strategy that sustains Deity players, because the AI doesn't befriend you if you expand past 4 cities. Similarly, tall starts are less impressive on lower difficulties because there's less bonus to milking the AI early-game.
The AI is fickle and unpredictable at best, no matter what you do if you forward settle them you are going to get DOWed on Deity. Your best bet regardless is to pick one to be your friend another to be your enemy and turn them on each other. Tall starts are less impressive on Settler difficulty because you can do whatever the hell you want and you'll get away with it obviously land grabbing is probably better on Settler where the AI just leaves it there for you.

The bottom line is that there are strategies that are so reliable and strong on level 7 or 8 they make half of the game mechanics trivial by guaranteeing success. When you compare civ bonuses with half of the mechanics being trivial, of course that skews their worth. When you play a strategy that maximizes revenue and guarantees being allied with a lot of CS's, of course you prefer the UA that enhances already-aquired alliances.
First prove that going Tall will guaranteed success on Deity, then list at least a few of the half of game mechanics that are rendered trivial by a strategy.

When you eschew those strategies, or generally if you struggle more in your games - because why should the experience of non-Diety players ever be discounted anyway - then clearly you prefer the UA that increases acquired alliances two-fold or more.
Greece doesn't increase acquired alliances by 2 fold or more there are so many variables especially in late game that mean much more than 50% decrease in decay. Even if it did you are discounting the bonus that Siam gives simply by being friends rather than being allies.

You said "Siam's UA is superior because it synergies well with going tall", meaning that 'going tall is the only way one would ever want to play.' I say Greece's UA is better, precisely because it's not.
Implying that because something synergizes well means that is the only way to use the UA. Like you said obviously we are playing different games.

And let me guess, you went tall, ran tradition, early science focus, lots of gold and culture bla bla bla the whole time.

Siam's unique is given too much credit because the One True Path (tall/science) gives you across-the-board dominance in economy and makes winning CS's trivial.

If you are, god forbid, playing weaker strategies, like low-gold wide openings or honor openings, then Greece's is clearly better. That's why I repeat-play Greece a lot more than Siam: there's more than one way to play Greece and still benefit from the CS bonus.

Not the case at all; Siam is an extremely versatile civ, and in part because there are so many ways of obtaining CS influence. Gold gifts are an influence-earner of last resort. Going "low-gold wide" openings do nothing for Greece if it isn't using other ways to gain influence itself, since it's repeatedly being missed that Greece needs to obtain influence in the first place, exactly as Siam does.

It doesn't matter what strategy you play once you have CS influence, the simple fact is that you're very unlikely to lose it again naturally if you're paying attention to CS quests and/or have a spy rigging elections; with just the Patronage opener you can dispense with the spy in most cases. And if you aren't paying attention to the global CS quests, Greece isn't going to help you at all because someone else will grab the CS.

Given an AI which wants CSes for itself, which is the case in most games, you will often lose a CS alliance at up to or sometimes over 100 influence. In this instance the Greek UA does exactly nothing for you - you'll remain friends at that level however slowly it decays. While Siam won't give you the alliance back passively either, it does give you a continuing benefit from friendship from its UA, while it's completely meaningless in practice that Greece will remain friends for 140 turns instead of 70 (notwithstanding the fact that any civ can remain permanently on 30 influence).

No, i did not mean going tradition after honor. I mean not going tradition. We're fundamentally talking about two different games, never mind.

The main reason to favour Tradition with Siam (beyond the usual reasons to favour Tradition with everyone) has nothing to do with the UA - it's because of the free Wats. Contrary to popular belief there's also nothing restricting a civ that goes Tradition from founding more than four cities, beyond the fact that the accelerated growth across all cities can potentially lead to happiness problems if you play too wide.

Your argument is self-contradictory. First you argue that wide empires struggle for gold, implying in the process that gold is the main path to CS alliance, and then that Greece can be flexible and still "increase alliances two-fold or more". The maths don't work - Greece getting 2x as many alliances as Siam is a best-case scenario, and speculative at that, and one that only works with Greece playing an "ideal" game, because Greece needs to buy its influence in the first place.

The argument runs as follows: Greece and Siam both have the same amount of gold, which they use exclusively to buy CS influence (and have no other ways of gaining influence). Greece loses influence half as fast as Siam, and therefore can spend that money buying alliance with twice as many CSes.

This argument rests on both Siam and Greece having comparable strategies that give them the same amount of income, and is the absolute best case scenario in Greece's favour, not something from actual games. It is not an argument that, if Greece has less money than Siam, it will be able to achieve this optimal outcome, and can therefore play a more varied game. If you play less optimal strategies, you'll be securing influence with fewer CSes due to your economic disadvantage, and so benefitting less from the UA - exactly as you claim Siam will by deviating from "tall Tradition".

I think when couping comes into play in the later game, it will be much easier for Greece to keep their CS

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Why are people saying that Siam has the advantage because Greece has to spend money? Greece can do city state quests too?

If you're talking about the more culture/turn or faith/turn from city states helping you to further renew city states more, Greece gets to hold on to the ones it does get for twice as long, and also since Greece in the early game will often ally more city states they can compete with the extra bonus Siam receives simply by having a couple more city states allied/friends.

Someone said that Siam's bonuses apply while friends too and Greece's doesn't. Hello? Greece's influence decay reduction doesn't only apply when allied you know.

This is not to mention that Greece's bonuses can stack with those of religion and patronage, giving you city states that never have your influence go down at all.

I'm curious to know why people are only paying attention to part of the Greek UA's usefulness but are talking about every possible moment where Siam's is useful, the arguments seem immensely biased.

I agree with GhostSalsa in that with Siam a tall tradition rationalism game is stronger, but Greece has the ability to choose non-optimal policy choices and do very well. Siam will get you a victory easier but Greece will be more fun.

Also Siam gets no benefit from mercantile or militaristic city states. Depending on what the make up of the city state types are this could have a big effect on how great Siam is.

I agree with GhostSalsa in that with Siam a tall tradition rationalism game is stronger
This tactic rely on maritime CS completely dunno how someone can call it "stronger". It's almost the same as said: "Spain has more hummers then Russia because you can find King Solomon's Mines". And if you play against a human this tactic become even more fragile.

I checked the military city state bonus through testing, used Greece, Siam and a third civ with no benefits at all from city states

I allied a military CS on turn 1. In all three tests, it stated "a new unit gifted every 17 turns"
The first unit always appeared on turn 10, the second unit appeared on turn 26 for the standard civ, turn 28 for Greece and turn 27 for Siam.

What however was different: The unit gifted to Siam came with 10 exp. The first promotion for free, so I checked the CS - nope, no barracks built there yet. So I gave that CS a barracks to see what happens on the next gift. It came with 25 exp.

So that's Siam's bonus to militaristic CS, +10 exp upon unit gifting on top of barracks line starting exp.

I checked the military city state bonus through testing, used Greece, Siam and a third civ with no benefits at all from city states

I allied a military CS on turn 1. In all three tests, it stated "a new unit gifted every 17 turns"
The first unit always appeared on turn 10, the second unit appeared on turn 26 for the standard civ, turn 28 for Greece and turn 27 for Siam.

What however was different: The unit gifted to Siam came with 10 exp. The first promotion for free, so I checked the CS - nope, no barracks built there yet. So I gave that CS a barracks to see what happens on the next gift. It came with 25 exp.

So that's Siam's bonus to militaristic CS, +10 exp upon unit gifting on top of barracks line starting exp.

When you "gave the cs a barracks" was that through IGE? Or is there some mechanic I am unaware of

yes, IGE.

It would be nice if you could actually gift a building to a CS, because nothing's worse than having a militaristic CS ally who didn't bother building barracks and keeps gifting your worthless 0 exp units when you already have a Brandenburg Gate + Academy city pumping out three promotion 60 exp units

Voted for Siam - Getting bonuses sooner is better than getting more in the long run since that snowballs for Siam.

Why are people saying that Siam has the advantage because Greece has to spend money? Greece can do city state quests too?

Because the reason people are saying Greece has an advantage is that Greece saves money that can be used on other things, by not having to maintain CS alliances/friendships with gold. This is where the mythical "2x alliances" figure comes from - it's the best-case scenario for Greece when both parties are only spending gold.

Every point of CS influence bought with quests reduces Greece's relative advantage further below that hypothetical optimum, because the costs incurred by non-Greeks to maintain CS alliances are lower.

If you're talking about the more culture/turn or faith/turn from city states helping you to further renew city states more, Greece gets to hold on to the ones it does get for twice as long, and also since Greece in the early game will often ally more city states they can compete with the extra bonus Siam receives simply by having a couple more city states allied/friends.

Except that Greece won't "ally more city states" in the early game except in the special case above - it's using the money Siam would use to maintain alliances to ally more of them than Siam would. Greece can't influence which CS quests come up, and there's no reason it's more likely to complete them than Siam.

Someone said that Siam's bonuses apply while friends too and Greece's doesn't. Hello? Greece's influence decay reduction doesn't only apply when allied you know.

It does, but anyone who's pledged protection and has the +20 influence boost from Patronage will permanently be at 30 influence, and hence friend status; it's not relevant that Greece's influence declines slowly when the lowest anyone's influence can sink will still keep you at friend status.

Additionally, the specific point I was making was about cases where you lose ally status above 60 influence due to competition from other civs - in practical terms it doesn't make a difference that for all those extra turns when you would have been friends anyway, your influence is declining half as fast, while in every one of those turns Siam is giving you a practical benefit.

Say you have 100 influence when you lose ally status - is it really likely you're going to go 70 turns without doing anything that, even by chance, gives you an influence boost with the CS?

This is not to mention that Greece's bonuses can stack with those of religion and patronage, giving you city states that never have your influence go down at all.

That's the case, but firstly people are still neglecting the point I've made several times, that natural influence decay is not a major reason for losing city-state alliances unless you're in a game with unusually passive AIs or are completely neglecting CSes yourself (no spies, no quests). Secondly, one of the Greek supporters argued against Siam on the dubious grounds that the civ's approach only worked with specific strategies - if you're going to criticise on the grounds of inflexibility, a Greek UA that can only be optimally utilised with both Patronage and a focus on religion with specific beliefs (and a need to ensure that your CSes aren't converted to other religions), means that you're much more constrained in terms of the way you play than Siam (which benefits from, but doesn't need, a religious focus).

I agree with GhostSalsa in that with Siam a tall tradition rationalism game is stronger, but Greece has the ability to choose non-optimal policy choices and do very well. Siam will get you a victory easier but Greece will be more fun.

With any civ you care to name, a "tall tradition rationalism game" is stronger. Siam gains nothing special compared with anyone else from that except free Wats - Siam's particularly powerful that way only because it has a particularly powerful UA (at least by vanilla standards). The thing I like most about Siam is that it's an "environmental" civ - it's not "sink-or-swim depending on what you find" like Spain (except in the unusual case where you only have mercantile CSes; sure), but the way you play in any given game and the optimal approach is going to be influenced heavily by the number, locations, and above all types of city-states in the landscape.

Just as an example, Greece always wants to go religion and get the CS-based religious benefits because its UA is suboptimal without them. As a civ with no religious advantages, it has to go through the usual routes to achieve this. Both whether Siam goes for a faith-based strategy and how it gets its religion if it does are going to vary - as for most civs - with whether they can use a faith-producing pantheon in their starting location, and also whether a faith CS is nearby. If the latter is the case, they have an immediate boost to their ability to produce faith, and so can deviate from the usual build order for founding a religion (they may not even need Stonehenge).

Thanks for checking this - good to confirm there is a benefit.

It does, but anyone who's pledged protection and has the +20 influence boost from Patronage will permanently be at 30 influence, and hence friend status; it's not relevant that Greece's influence declines slowly when the lowest anyone's influence can sink will still keep you at friend status.
you do realize that it's been a long time since that put you at +30, not at +25?

you do realize that it's been a long time since that put you at +30, not at +25?

Actually, I didn't. You know why? If playing a game where I'm focusing on CSes (and I wouldn't be taking Patronage otherwise), my influence never gets that low - again, natural decay is not a problem. Plus, I'm not that interested in staying at friend status so will tend to actively seek quests to displace other allies if someone's influence overtakes mine.

The same point stands as a result - getting down to influence levels this low is not a realistic situation for a CS-focused game, so Greece adds nothing.

Problem is, the number of CS is limited. The important ones are maritime and cultural. Sometimes there are only 2 of each. Both Siam and Greece would be able to keep them allied, but Siam gets more benefits.

This is a very good point. Imagine a game where Siam has two CSes - one cultural, one maritime - and Greece has four - two mercantile, two militaristic. Who's getting the bigger benefit? It's the same situation as Siam spawning with immediate access only to mercantile CSes.

Well I wrote up like an essay of a response but accidentally deleted it :(, so here we go again

Because the reason people are saying Greece has an advantage is that Greece saves money that can be used on other things, by not having to maintain CS alliances/friendships with gold. This is where the mythical "2x alliances" figure comes from - it's the best-case scenario for Greece when both parties are only spending gold.

Every point of CS influence bought with quests reduces Greece's relative advantage further below that hypothetical optimum, because the costs incurred by non-Greeks to maintain CS alliances are lower.

Except that Greece won't "ally more city states" in the early game except in the special case above - it's using the money Siam would use to maintain alliances to ally more of them than Siam would. Greece can't influence which CS quests come up, and there's no reason it's more likely to complete them than Siam.

Greece's quests still have twice the effect however, taking a much longer time to decay than Siam's, meaning that the only real argument here about quests is that Siam gets their bonuses more up front, which is legitimate. However not only can Greece have their allied or friended city states by quests for twice as long (assuming the Siam and Greece civs do the exact same amount and types of quests on the same city states), but they also can have the twice as many city states through gold as well, meaning that they get at least equivalent bonuses from quests to Siam, and far greater through gold, giving Greece the advantage in my view.

Pledge to protects only give 5 influence now, not 10, so this argument is rendered invalid as of the fall patch.

Additionally, the specific point I was making was about cases where you lose ally status above 60 influence due to competition from other civs - in practical terms it doesn't make a difference that for all those extra turns when you would have been friends anyway, your influence is declining half as fast, while in every one of those turns Siam is giving you a practical benefit.

Say you have 100 influence when you lose ally status - is it really likely you're going to go 70 turns without doing anything that, even by chance, gives you an influence boost with the CS?

Although you do have a case here, Greece can hold on to their allies more easily than Siam can. Siam has a higher chance than Greece to lose the city state outright, simply because at any given time they're likely to have less influence. Even if Greece does lose a city state, in the same circumstances Siam would have lost it too, and it's going to be easier/cheaper for Greece to get it back (their current influence would be higher), so I wouldn't really say they have the advantage on this front.

Sure it's not going to take 70 turns for you to be able to renew it, but you're still going to have it longer without having to renew it, or if it's renewed by a quest, you're going to be that much more in front of other civs vying for the same city state.

That's the case, but firstly people are still neglecting the point I've made several times, that natural influence decay is not a major reason for losing city-state alliances unless you're in a game with unusually passive AIs or are completely neglecting CSes yourself (no spies, no quests). Secondly, one of the Greek supporters argued against Siam on the dubious grounds that the civ's approach only worked with specific strategies - if you're going to criticise on the grounds of inflexibility, a Greek UA that can only be optimally utilised with both Patronage and a focus on religion with specific beliefs (and a need to ensure that your CSes aren't converted to other religions), means that you're much more constrained in terms of the way you play than Siam (which benefits from, but doesn't need, a religious focus).

Greece doesn't need a religious focus at all, it just helps, and I feel that the other points in this paragraph have already been answered by what I've said.

Greece's quests still have twice the effect however, taking a much longer time to decay than Siam's, meaning that the only real argument here about quests is that Siam gets their bonuses more up front, which is legitimate.

And highly significant. This is indeed why people have argued 'Greece can get 2x as many alliances'; it's not equivalent to having one alliance for twice as long, and CS quests aren't going to ally Greece with more CSes than Siam. What's more there's the knock-on effect on influence from Siam's bonuses - it makes no difference to your culture or faith output for the global "desires X amount of culture/faith" quests that your influence with CSes decays more slowly; it can make a substantial difference that you're getting extra culture or faith to contribute to those quests, and that's 60 influence per quest.

However not only can Greece have their allied or friended city states by quests for twice as long (assuming the Siam and Greece civs do the exact same amount and types of quests on the same city states), but they also can have the twice as many city states through gold as well, meaning that they get at least equivalent bonuses from quests to Siam, and far greater through gold, giving Greece the advantage in my view.

But they aren't getting twice as many CSes through gold if they're also doing the quests, because the argument that they're getting extra CSes rests on them having extra gold to spend thanks to their UA's savings. Siam also has that gold saved in the above scenario, because they're also doing quests, negating Greece's hypothetical advantage - Greece is making no savings relative to Siam, until and unless influence decays and they can only restore it with gold due to a shortage of quests they can complete. Any savings they do make in this somewhat specific situation are going to be considerably less than the 100% required to ally twice as many CSes - which is just the maximum hypothetical saving they can make - and in most cases less than the 50% required to reach parity with Siam's output - plus, as noted, Siam's output is immediate.

Pledge to protects only give 5 influence now, not 10, so this argument is rendered invalid as of the fall patch.

See my follow-up post.

And highly significant. This is indeed why people have argued 'Greece can get 2x as many alliances'; it's not equivalent to having one alliance for twice as long, and CS quests aren't going to ally Greece with more CSes than Siam. What's more there's the knock-on effect on influence from Siam's bonuses - it makes no difference to your culture or faith output for the global "desires X amount of culture/faith" quests that your influence with CSes decays more slowly; it can make a substantial difference that you're getting extra culture or faith to contribute to those quests, and that's 60 influence per quest.

Isn't it 40 influence per quest? 60 must be Epic speed or Large map or something, if we're playing on different speeds then we may be debating entirely different things, so I'll abstain from answering this at the moment.

But they aren't getting twice as many CSes through gold if they're also doing the quests, because the argument that they're getting extra CSes rests on them having extra gold to spend thanks to their UA's savings. Siam also has that gold saved in the above scenario, because they're also doing quests, negating Greece's hypothetical advantage - Greece is making no savings relative to Siam, until and unless influence decays and they can only restore it with gold due to a shortage of quests they can complete. Any savings they do make in this somewhat specific situation are going to be considerably less than the 100% required to ally twice as many CSes - which is just the maximum hypothetical saving they can make - and in most cases less than the 50% required to reach parity with Siam's output - plus, as noted, Siam's output is immediate.

Wait, so you're saying, is that if you do quests for a couple city states that you're able to do quests for, than you're never going to be spending gold on completely different city states as well?

Everything I've said about the use of gold is for using gold on the other city states on the map, considering quests alone usually only get you like 3 allied or friends.

When spending gold on other city states which you're not able to do quest for, Greece has a far easier time staying allies with them as well as allying more at once. And the potential for Siam to compete with this through completion of the quests of these other city states advertently is frankly tiny, considering city states are probably not even going to be asking for those things (culture, faith) at any given moment.

Therefore Greece saves a considerable sum of gold staying allied with these other city states and can use the saved money for other purposes (something not yet considered, public schools or something maybe) or for even more city states. Whilst Siam would be stuck only with the city states they have bought.

OK, well lets rank CS in order of usefullness for now, for me it goes like this:

Maritime
Cultural
Mercantile
Religious
Military

So now if if we look at who gets the better bonus it goes like this:

Maritime - Siam gets more food faster, allowing for more worked tiles which leads to more hammers, gold and also more food (farms, etc). Siam wins hands down because of quicker growth.

Cultural - Leads to faster social policies, so again Siam gets these faster which can lead to more bonuses. Siam hands down.

Mercantile - Greece hands down due to keeping the CS for longer while Siam gets no bonus that I'm aware of.

Religious - Siam wins easily because of getting faith faster, which turns into either a faster religion or faster purchasing of religious building or people.

Military - OK, well this is where it becomes more subjective, I usually have a designated city for military units, so an extra 10xp doesn't help me as Siam, but at the same time more units with 0xp doesn't help me as Greece. But Greece wins hands down because more units > less level 2 units.

So overall Siam > Greece. Just my opinion.

Each has their place to shine. Military civs are great in the early game because if you friend them, that's a free unit you don't have to build or buy in your capital.
Later, they can provide you with unique units that can work really well together with your own unique units.
Religious CS guarantees you a Pantheon and greatly helps with getting an early religion.
A shrine + an allied Religious CS is 5 faith for everyone, and 7 for Siam. That's 40 turns for the Great prophet threshold, but only 29 for Siam. 11 turns advantage on the Religion race? Yes, please!

Mercantile is completely useless if you're in positive happiness anyways and already in a golden age unless you have aesthetics. And even then the benefit is very questionable. 7 Happiness = 3.5 culture per turn as opposed to a cultural civ that gives 6 on ally in the Ancient era already.

and don't forget, if the militaristic CS stays up to snuff on barracks buildings, that's 10 more exp than the units you can build would start with.

I agree with the summary, more food snowballs so much in this game, getting even more food due to Father Governs Children means your capital will outgrow any other capital easily.

Top Bottom