Ancient Aztec, Maya or other native american?

Kyriakos

Creator
Ideally i would want to produce this set before the new year, trouble is i found VERY little concept art for it.

I already have created a medieval Aztec, so an ancient Aztec, or Maya, or Inca would really be great.

Does anyone have pics of how their cities used to look, even if utterly theoretical reconstructions? :)

ps:no mississippian or iroquois pics, i tried to make them and failed.

Mayan cities shouldn't be hard at all. Get a couple of big pyramids, a ball court, and a few other houses off to the side.

I'm not an expert on this site, but this particular reconstruction is probably a little sparse; you'd want much denser houses on the edges. However, since you're creating a miniature it should be fine.

Another good site to use for the ancient Mesoamericans would be Teotihuacan:

its central monument is the Pyramid of the Sun:

Which is really quite enormous.

The only problem is that you specified Aztec, Mayan, or Inca... Well, the Aztecs weren't ancient; their predecessors would have been Teotihuacan, gave you the Maya stuff, but the Inca are a completely different culture with much, much different looking buildings. You'd need a whole other city set for them.

Well, the Aztecs weren't ancient; their predecessors would have been Teotihuacan,

The ancestors of the Aztecs invaded the area a few hundred years after Teotihuacan's zenith. No one really knows exactly who built and inhabited Teotihuacan but they certainly weren't the predecessors of the Aztecs. The Aztecs were mostly influenced by the Toltec civilization who generally aren't associated with Teotihuacan.

The ancestors of the Aztecs invaded the area a few hundred years after Teotihuacan's zenith. No one really knows exactly who built and inhabited Teotihuacan but they certainly weren't the predecessors of the Aztecs. The Aztecs were mostly influenced by the Toltec civilization who generally aren't associated with Teotihuacan.

I mean, they probably weren't the Aztecs' ancestors if that's what you're driving at. I wasn't exactly trying to give a thorough ethonographic rundown of Mesoamerican civilization, just trying to give him the ancient people who would be in the same region as the Aztecs (predecessors probably the wrong word; also not very awake today). Teotihuacan would definitely fit that particular bill better than the Toltecs since the Toltecs weren't an ancient civilization, either; more a medieval one. :lol:

EDIT: Of course, it depends on the definition of "ancient" here; could be a whole bunch of cultures.

Also, the Mayan cities look pretty good. Do you raise the center of all your cities? Depending on which Mayans we're talking about, they'd be more likely to be on level ground...

Those look good, but I still recommend you check out Apocalypto. It has some nice sets of less... grand settlments. Grand settlements are fine for important urban centers and whatnot, but as an alternative for small villages the Apocalyto style of settlements would work best (IMO).

Also I spy the wells from HoM&M 3! Perception success or what? Haha.

Check out "Apocalypto".

...why.

It's a) not a good movie and b) inaccurate in half a hundred ways. Civ settlements, moreover, are very rarely less than small cities -- the smaller stuff just don't appear on the map. The Mayans had some pretty big cities; what kyriakos has in this thread looks good.

...why.

It's a) not a good movie and b) inaccurate in half a hundred ways. Civ settlements, moreover, are very rarely less than small cities -- the smaller stuff just don't appear on the map. The Mayans had some pretty big cities; what kyriakos has in this thread looks good.

Don't civ 3 cities start out with something like 5,000 people? That's pretty small.

Don't civ 3 cities start out with something like 5,000 people? That's pretty small.

Additionally, 5000 is pretty damn large for a city for a good chunk of the world up until like, the turn of the first millennium, AD.

Tenochtitlan is decidedly not ancient, having reached its height in the 15th-16th centuries. :p

Additionally, 5000 is pretty damn large for a city for a good chunk of the world up until like, the turn of the first millennium, AD.

Eh, I read somewhere that Paris and London had 20-30,000 or so people. And of course East Asia had super large cities. Same with Constantinople, Rome, the Middle East and Egypt. All the homes to many people at some point.

Top Bottom