New Cumulative history Quiz VII

Not Bernard Montgomery, by any chance?

I would hope so, especially if we're talking about a war hero :D

I assume this person was associated with an airborne Army division, rather than the RAF? The only famous British pilot I know of is Douglas Bader.

Someone who fought in Husky
member of the Paras, possibly, 6th Ox and Bucks Light Infantry

"Windy" Gale?

member of the Paras, possibly, 6th Ox and Bucks Light Infantry

That's not what the badge is. Read it more carefully - but the flash is 1 Airborne Division

So a member of the Staffordshire Regiment, an airborne division (likely the 1st, in Sicily). Awarded the OBE and Military cross. And connected to the Fallschimjagers...

This is all correct.

I can know what's int eh pictures, but that doesn't do me any good, unfortunately.
Though the Fallschirmjager badge seems odd with the others.

I can know what's int eh pictures, but that doesn't do me any good, unfortunately.
Though the Fallschirmjager badge seems odd with the others.

MURDERERS!!! maybe that is a hint?

OK, so he got shot up by the Fallschirmjager. I really haven't the foggiest idea.
I don't know my British war heroes, except the most famous generals.

I think between you all you've got the story. Civ_king might even have the answer, but needs to say it

it was so interesting I looked it up, so I shall not say it

Major General George Frederick Hopkinson...

That's it:

One of the UK's great Airborne officers, Major-General Hopkinson commissioned into the North Staffordshire Regiment in 1915. For his actions during the Great War, in 1918, he was awarded the Military Cross. After leaving the army for a while to work in engineering, he rejoined following the outbreak of the second world war, serving as a staff officer during the Battle for France. For his work during this time he was made Officer of the Order of the British Empire. In 1940 he qualified as a paratrooper and joined the new Army Air Corps, pioneering new tactics such as glider insertion, and by 1943 had been promoted to Major-General and was officer commanding 1 Airborne Division. He lead his division from the front during Operation Husky, the allied campaign to liberate Sicily. During combat for the town of Castellena, he was commanding his men against their counterparts in the German parachute corps (the Fallsharmjaeger) when he was killed by enemy machine-gun fire, the only Airborne general officer to be killed during the war.

I suppose you refer to Operation Dracula, part of the British Burma campaign starting in 1944.

Correct. More specifically, it was the campaign to recover Rangoon.

This thread had sunk into abyss...

Anyway, since I probably won't get around to making the PM quiz in foreseeable future :)sad: yes, I am greatly ashamed), here is a little question.

The first book in this language was printed in 1512, in Venice.
The first bible was printed in 1666, in Amsterdam.
The first newspaper was published in 1794, in Madras.

What language?

Top Bottom