Elemental Damage

esvath

Apprentice of Erebus
Well, since the MoM site is down, I will post some ideas here, just to make sure I don't forget about them. And if this already posted in MoM forum (by others or me), please be merciful. I'm a forgetful guy ;)

Units have several elemental damage (+1 Fire, +1 Cold, etc). At the moment, those +X TYPE_Y do nothing special. With the resistance promotions, they even worse than pure physical damage. 10 points of resistance = negate 1 point of damage, right?

Thus, I propose that elemental damage do some side-effect. It's nothing fancy, just like +X Poison damage means your units get POISONED (reduced heal rate until fully healed). My suggestion is as follow :

+ Fire : damage-over-time until healed. this means, if your heal rate is lower than the damage rate, you will be in worse condition than the turn before. If your heal rate is equal to the damage rate, you won't be healed at all.

+ Cold : chance to freeze (as per Blinding Light spell). Higher the cold damage, higher the chance to freeze the units for one turn. Maybe the rate is 20% chance per point of cold damage?

+ Lightning : no side effect, but every metal weapon and armor should get minus resistance on lightning. Thus, Champion with Longsword and Plate Armor is more resistant to physical damage than without. But, he will be more vulnerable to lightning damage than without.

+ Death : works on living units only, but deal more damage per Death Damage points. For example, +1 Death nets you with +1,5 damage. It is as if being living automatically gives you -50% Death resist. Once a Spectre with death damage touches you, your skin shrivels. Your life essence is drained. The drawback : no golems/elementals/undeads/demons/angels are affected by this.

+ Unholy : chance to curse target units. Cursed target gets vulnerability from Unholy damage (-20% unholy resist). Just like one of the spells.

+ Holy : negate armor (equipment) and combat promotions. When a Blessed unit attack, not even the strongest armor can protect you.

I agree, cool stuff, and afaik some of the stuff you are suggesting here is already working... like:

13) mostly evocation spells deal damage as they should, but every spell has different side effect: lighting spells have a higher chance to crit, fire spells inflame their targets, other spells enrage, teleport, may affect multiple tiles, blind enemies, prevent them from attacking, conver them, ...

from here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404285&page=6

EDIT: forget my post, esvath, you have already been there... man, you are bored!!!

+ Holy : negate armor (equipment) and combat promotions. When a Blessed unit attack, not even the strongest armor can protect you.

This would be a bit OP, especially because "blessed" is so easy to get.

Greez,

Tschuggi

I'm going to give my take on both elemental damage in combat and from spells.

Fire: Combat - chance to degrade equipment and/or bonus vs. units with no armor (or, perhaps, no armor or leather armor).
Spells: Give it the x3 chance for massive damage and/or degrades equipment.
(I really don't like damage-over-time for fire. Stop, drop, and roll, people!)

Cold: Chance for Slow for both.

Lightening: Ignores metal armor for both. I'm not sure how this would work so far as the exact mechanic goes. Maybe make it "Double vs. Metal armor." or "+1 vs. Metal armor."?)
Spell: Same thing.

Death:: Hmm.... esvath's "only on living, extra damage" sounds good. Or damage-over-time would be appropriate here, I think.

Unholy:
Bless:

Power of the Good-gods and power of the Evil-gods is pretty much the same thing in Erebus, I think. So more or less the same thing should work for both.

Each causing a temporary vulnerability to itself would work. And/or they could do extra damage toward Followers of an opposing Religion. Or less damage to Followers of an opposing Religion, if that's the way you want to work it. (Maybe the best thing would be: Opposing civ is of an opposing alignment: Extra damage. OTOH, if the unit is a Follower of another religion: Less damage.)

Well, since the forum is up and you can take the discussion there do you mind if I ask a question here? I have been playing for a while but can't get my max mana cap to rise. I tried searching the forum you linked to but to no avail. So like, can anyone tell me how to do it?

Well, since the forum is up and you can take the discussion there do you mind if I ask a question here? I have been playing for a while but can't get my max mana cap to rise. I tried searching the forum you linked to but to no avail. So like, can anyone tell me how to do it?

with the current version (1.2 + 1.21,1.22,1.23) you can rise your max. mana cap via spell research, there in the evocation part of it. You have to research a few of the damage spells (f. e. all of fire and lightning) to increase the cap.

Greez,

Tschuggi

+ Unholy : chance to curse target units. Cursed target gets vulnerability from Unholy damage (-20% unholy resist). Just like one of the spells.

I think that this should also give a -x% Holy resist. After all the unit is accursed -think Mina Harker in Dracula.

Ps. Sorry if this is a Necro of the thread, but i thought i might as well put out the idea.

Ps. Sorry if this is a Necro of the thread, but i thought i might as well put out the idea.

Two months isn't a necro, it's using a stick to poke someone who isn't even dead yet.

i hope so too! :please:

perhaps sephi did not pay his bills? :cry:

no no

it's because of the large upload :D

you can try the new beta version while waiting

Great, thx.
Will this be 1.4?
Anything to note in this release? Are the "recommended playable" civs the same?

1.4 is very far away, but this is probably the fourth iteration of the beta, i.e. 1.3.4 :)

anybody else get an error when trying to start the version linked by sephi?
did a clean install and can not start it.

anybody else get an error when trying to start the version linked by sephi?
did a clean install and can not start it.

for me everything worked very smooth and fine, your ancient tower and starting screen graphics are in, a nice new demon while the game is loading, too... apart from this I haven't noted lots of new stuff, but I just played a few turn. Holy cities are still having very crappy starting plots.

Btw, it is 1.3, version 5.

Greez and thanks, Sephi:goodjob:

Tschuggi

redownloaded and still get an error. other mods work though.
i try reinstalling civIV (i modded some files for testing purposes in the parent directories) and hope it works.

edit: i hope you don't need the regular master of mana 1.25 as well because i uninstalled it as well.

Top Bottom