Civs that the A.I plays good and .. not so good.

orasis

Prince
Huns, Japan, Ottomans, Greece.

Every time that I see the A.I pick one of the above I know that I'm in for a serious game.

England, Russia.

I never fear the A.I when playing against these Civs.

You?

Hiawatha. That guy will kill you, and always dominates. I'm playing with random civs on different maps each time, last 4 games he is easily the runaway; on continents last game I found the other continent as soon as I had astronomy and jesus, he had literally the whole continent to himself.

A lobotomised rhesus monkey could have turned in a better performance than the English AI in my last game.

the AI performance is completely written in the XML file, right? so that would mean a simple mod of copying the 'best' AI and putting them on everyone would make the game more challenging.
why haven't anybody made this yet? I know it's tedious, but still...

A lobotomised rhesus monkey could have turned in a better performance than the English AI in my last game.

Ha, so true - AI plays England terribly...and I think some folk judge England on the way the AI plays it.
Even the best performance I've seen by the AI only served to make England a mid-tabler. I was playing as China at the time and expecting a right duffing on the seas that just didn't materialise. The AI wiped out Spain with longbow army then just lost the plot.

I think the England AI sin't too good, as they have a naval focus, and some maps, like Pangaea make that a lesser factor.Also the AI's grasp of naval combat is some what uhhhhh, non-existent. I'm currently playing an archipelago map, and non of the AI have build any naval units bar about 2 caravels for exploration. This came to the point where 5 AI's DoW'ed Shaka, and the only unit I saw attack his city within 50 turns or more was 1 caravel (which got sunk rather quickly) (BTW, at this point, Shaka has only one city left, since I nabed the rest)

The Ottomans are an odd one. I can't seem to get a decent game out of them, yet in the AI's hands they can be hard to compete against.

I've found that Rome and Russia usually play really really well, usually becoming a runaway if they are in a different continent.

Mongolia also plays well, although it fails from time to time, I guess? Usually I see them spread across their continent and taking cities left and right, but last game they only had one city until the Industrial Era (if not Modern), and were massively behind in everything...
My guess is that their first invasion failed miserably, and they never really recovered from that...

As to worst AIs - Denmark, for sure. I have never EVER seen him survive past the Industrial Era.
Sweden seems to also keep small and is easily bullied by others...

lol. I always play England and when I don`t England never shows up, so I never get to see how they do!

any game i've played with rome where i havent had the advantage of snuffing them out early, they've conquered completely with us two being the last civs. they even fully destroyed poland on a continents i played with rome and 4 other civs on the other continent.

ottomans play terrible for me. emperor level game, the ai suleiman dows me with ~4 times the army, and spends most of his time rearranging his units for the invasion as i xbow them off one by one. i ended up fully conquering ai sulei, after him dowing and acting friendly 3 times. denmark is just easy to conquer for me.

Depends. I've seen Austria dominate, when most times she is the one being dominated. Brazil for a culture victory, again only once have I seen Brazil kick ass culturally. The list goes on, most times the AI won't beat you but then on an odd occasion when the moon is full it will

Depends. I've seen Austria dominate, when most times she is the one being dominated. Brazil for a culture victory, again only once have I seen Brazil kick ass culturally. The list goes on, most times the AI won't beat you but then on an odd occasion when the moon is full it will

i've only ever seen austria be wrecked completely. after poland and germany both destroyed a cs each, austria denounced them and basically got mowed over the turn after. :s

Ha, so true - AI plays England terribly...and I think some folk judge England on the way the AI plays it.
Even the best performance I've seen by the AI only served to make England a mid-tabler. I was playing as China at the time and expecting a right duffing on the seas that just didn't materialise. The AI wiped out Spain with longbow army then just lost the plot.

In my case, England settled London, then decided to settle several more cities about 50 hexes away on the wrong side of Carthage, ignoring a vast expanse, groaning with resources, on their doorstep. Carthage (one of the stronger AIs) cleaned their clock in the first war, taking not just the offending cities but also London, and leaving the English AI with but one city on that continent, Newcastle. This, their new capital, was stuck permanently at size 1, being on a promontory with no resources and hemmed in on all landward sides by the territory dependent on London - with no prospect of any change, as they had seen fit to settle Newcastle at the minimum permitted distance from London.

Not content with this, they then tried to rebuild their position by settling a number of nuisance cities in ludicrous antarctic and arctic locations - including one, Warwick, on a small island ten hexes from Rome (my capital). Since I was the runaway in that game and their core area, such as it was, was almost literally as far away as it was possible to be on that map ON THE WRONG SIDE of Carthage, #2 and my ally, those bastards were just so many prisoners of war. Didn't stop them repeatedly denouncing and making insane extortion demands of me, though.

Best: Greece, Russia, Iroquis, Poland and Shoshone

Worst: China and America + the naval civs

Everyone knows Alex- If Russia or Iroquis are in a I know they are going to be monstrous runaways with 80% chance. Poland AI is very ambitious and deceptive and backed by powerful and easy UA. Shoshone, well, they are the easy mode.

China AI never seems to expand out of their initial city fast enough and they get left behind and eaten by a less passive neighbour. AI can't manage America no matter what and their lack of early game units probably makes this worse.

AI is so so bad with all the naval civs and overseas expansion so civs like England and Dutch are always hilariously bad in the games. Polynesian and Indonesian AIs breaks my heart.

Other civs are way less consistent. I've seen stuff like Songhai and Brazil as the runaways. Brazil conquered their own continent which they shared with Incas (heh, historical) and then made an overseas invasion and took out 1/4 of another. It was so bizarre and glorious. They were my number one competitor but I felt so proud for the AI for once.

I was using a 3UPT mod though and the AI seems more vigorous and capable with it. Probably affected things.

The Netherlands, for whatever reason they almost never get past 4 cities for me, and they always get behind in military.

In my case, England settled London, then decided to settle several more cities about 50 hexes away on the wrong side of Carthage, ignoring a vast expanse, groaning with resources, on their doorstep. Carthage (one of the stronger AIs) cleaned their clock in the first war, taking not just the offending cities but also London, and leaving the English AI with but one city on that continent, Newcastle. This, their new capital, was stuck permanently at size 1, being on a promontory with no resources and hemmed in on all landward sides by the territory dependent on London - with no prospect of any change, as they had seen fit to settle Newcastle at the minimum permitted distance from London.

Not content with this, they then tried to rebuild their position by settling a number of nuisance cities in ludicrous antarctic and arctic locations - including one, Warwick, on a small island ten hexes from Rome (my capital). Since I was the runaway in that game and their core area, such as it was, was almost literally as far away as it was possible to be on that map ON THE WRONG SIDE of Carthage, #2 and my ally, those bastards were just so many prisoners of war. Didn't stop them repeatedly denouncing and making insane extortion demands of me, though.

:lol:

Yeah, the A.I is so bad with England it's almost like a comedy show. England also seems to "not know it's place" when it comes to Diplomacy. No matter what position it's in, it always seems to think it's the top player in the game.

Anyways England's A.I is :crazyeye: :confused:

Best: Greece, Russia, Iroquis, Poland and Shoshone

Worst: China and America + the naval civs

Everyone knows Alex- If Russia or Iroquis are in a I know they are going to be monstrous runaways with 80% chance. Poland AI is very ambitious and deceptive and backed by powerful and easy UA. Shoshone, well, they are the easy mode.

China AI never seems to expand out of their initial city fast enough and they get left behind and eaten by a less passive neighbour. AI can't manage America no matter what and their lack of early game units probably makes this worse.

AI is so so bad with all the naval civs and overseas expansion so civs like England and Dutch are always hilariously bad in the games. Polynesian and Indonesian AIs breaks my heart.

Other civs are way less consistent. I've seen stuff like Songhai and Brazil as the runaways. Brazil conquered their own continent which they shared with Incas (heh, historical) and then made an overseas invasion and took out 1/4 of another. It was so bizarre and glorious. They were my number one competitor but I felt so proud for the AI for once.

I was using a 3UPT mod though and the AI seems more vigorous and capable with it. Probably affected things.

Yeah I thought they would have fixed that in BNW. That's been an ongoing problem in CIV... most of the A.I doesn't really know what to do with a Navy unless it's straight up defending from your attacks.

Or... using the land to their advantage... being a naval civ and settling immediately in the center of the map and never using any part of the free coast.

I've never had a game against Denmark yet... So, I'm looking forward to taking all of their stuff. :)

England also seems to "not know it's place" when it comes to Diplomacy. No matter what position it's in, it always seems to think it's the top player in the game.

Thank God Britain doesn't act like that in real life, eh. :whew:

Top Bottom