New Marathon game speed but with normal build times

Joaorv

Chieftain
I like the idea of longer research but don't want to spend half a century building a worker. So I went into the files and modded it to have normal speed unit and building production. I am not a modder and i'm not sure what all the diferent entries are for so i only modded those two.

copy this file: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml

And put it here: C:\Documents and Settings\Joaorv\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\xml\gameinfo\

Now open it for edit with notepad and find where it says "<Type>GAMESPEED_MARATHON</Type>" it's very easy its close to the top.

Now scroll down to where it says "<iTrainPercent>" and "<iConstructPercent>" and change both values to "100". This will keep everything the same research etc etc but make the buildings and unit costs same as in the normal speed.

It works like a charm. I havent tested it for game balance but one thing is for sure i wasn't going to use Marathon speed the way it was so i'm gona give it a shot with these values. Have fun.

I'm now into the classical era and i've been having loads of fun with my modifcation, waging wars with big armies, fighting in the coutryside instead of just cities etc.

But i have ran into a dilema, it seems that now to have a big production city has lost its value since poorly developed cities can build stuff prety fast too, so for balance but still wanting to keep the fun factor in of course, i will now adjust the train value to 150 and the construct value to 175 and see if that feels better or worst.

My motto going into this is fun first and balance second as long as it doesn't affect the fun factor. So if the construction becomes so fast that it trivialises city specifications and thus makes the game less fun i increase the build times if it gets to where the diference between research and build is too narrow again i move it back down etc.

Few turns after. I like the units at 150 better but i put down the buildings to 150, didnt like 175.

Top Bottom