Fat Cross ?

Chazcon

Prince
I've studied various strategy guides and have gotten into the habit of placing cities based on the resources that will be available to them in the 'fat cross' (21 tiles). I was under the impression that a city's workers could only work the tiles in the fat cross.

But in a current game I have a food resource (Corn) that is outside the fat cross, but within the cultural boundaries...I've improved it and built a road to it and the game AI has placed a worker there.

So my question is - are the 21 tiles comprising the 'fat cross' relevant? If we can work ANY tiles within cultural boundaries, why is so much concern given to only the fat cross? If I'm placing cities based only on what I can work in those 21 tiles, I'm limiting myself severely on my city placement.

Any thoughts?

Your workers can improve any tile within your cultural boundaries, and your nation will benefit from any resources that are developed within your borders but outside of any city's fat cross.

But any given city can only only gain food, hammers and gold from the tiles that are within its fat cross.

You want to maximise each city's production; as you say, you can still gain the benefits of whatever resources are outside the "fat cross", so it's not likely that it's going to be an issue of placing your cities to get the resouces outside the fat cross...

Pretty simple, really?

Your city only benefits from the resource bonuses inside the fat cross...it extra hammers/food/commerce. If a resource is in your cultural boundries, your get access to that resource, same as doing a trade deal with another civ, +1 health, +2 with Graneries, Grocer, +1 happy with market, forge, but no commerce. Oh yeah, add supermarkets, harbour, etc....

Fat cross= bonuses, cultural=access

Tristan daCunha said:
Your workers can improve any tile within your cultural boundaries, and your nation will benefit from any resources that are developed within your borders but outside of any city's fat cross.

But any given city can only only gain food, hammers and gold from the tiles that are within its fat cross.

Except whales. For some reason you get no benefit from improved whale tiles that are not inside the fat cross.

Hmm maybe I'm not getting it, but look at this screenshot - my 2 citizens are both able to work outside the fat cross, and ARE bringing in the food -you see, I thought you COULDN'T set your citizens to work outside the fat cross.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 189
Sure you are not running some kind of mod that expands the radius of workable tiles (I know they exist)?

ARRRGHH! I'm running a .dll from Roger Bacon's 'Flying Mod'...

"...There are two seperate DLLs included. One is the FlyingOnly mod. The other combines the Flying mod with my "Borders over Water" mod ,my "Three-square Radius Cities" mod, and my "AlwaysWar" mod. The Flying-only mod has not been updated to version 2.0 at this time. That is planned for the future...."

/beats head against floor

Top Bottom