Things I learned about the science of warfare through Civilization IV

A few of my favorites, aside from OP's.
89) You can only sail galleys and triremes within a viewing distance of books written in your own language or the hearing distance of songs being sang in it. Which is consistent throughout the game, since you can only sail away from your shores after discovery of optics, which aids you in seeing the said books from farther away...obviously.
155) Pacifists actually love war, so they pay their soldiers more.
210) Capapults firing rocks can have an actual impact on tanks. Maybe the tank crews are just rolling on the floor laughing at the idiots throwing rocks at them and the drive into one each other!
Unfortunately as this thread has progressed, a lot of ppl have stopped providing the pseudo-scientific/mystical reasonings and are just listing game mechanics out of context.

320. Ancient Shaolin Monks live in the mountains. Wielding unearthly psychokinetic powers
they reverse the flow of gravity and keep Mountain Streams and Rivers from flowing downhill.
Unlike loincloth clad Men with clubs of immortality, The Shaolin Monks occasionally die, thus
you will infrequently find Mountain Rivers.

321. Rumours of the Mountain Dwelling Monks scare the bejeezus out of everyone,
thus all units will refuse to go near the cursed stone.

322. The underground Sorcerers (previous post) while warping city walls in and out of time,
sometimes interfere with The Monk's Psychokinetic powers and rivers will suddenly appear
in the middle of a grassland.

323) Floodplains are the best place to farm... but they only produce poisonous food.

324) The investors of the Manhattan Project did not want to help utilize the power of Uranium... They just wanted to turn the earth into a desert wasteland.

Curses Balderstrom however can we return to the way of Pseudo-Science?

325) Everyone is perfectly happy to have criminals roaming the streets, as they don't get any happier once you build somewhere to imprision them. Once a jail is built however they see what a good idea it is to lock crimianals up and can become worried at the prospect of them escaping.

The Indians are the only people with the death penalty, as instead of Jails they build Mausoleums. This does make their people happy, but they are still occassionally worried about escapees.

In summary:
Ghandi is in favour of Capital Punishment and lives in perpetual fear of a zombie apocalypse.

326) Prisoners don't work on farms, breaking rocks or stiching mailbags; apparently they are all trained in Intelligence Anaylsis.

327: Even thought they're spying, spies have morals, and would NEVER think of making a nuclear plant meltdown or a nuclear missile fire at some random civ, even though they're willing to poison the water supply of millions of people.

327: Even thought they're spying, spies have morals, and would NEVER think of making a nuclear plant meltdown or a nuclear missile fire at some random civ, even though they're willing to poison the water supply of millions of people.

That's not because they have morals. That's because they are women and can't work technical stuff! Poisoning water is just a matter of pouring toxic down a well, where as making a nuclear plant go critical og firing off a missle takes a lot of skill!:lol:

(sorry coulnd't help my self - just a joke ;))

328) Fascism taught soldiers how to use parachutes.

Is that something new for BTS? (I only have Warlords) I've had religions be founded in my second city when I had like 15 cities at that time. Has anyone else? It usually does found in the last city you added, but I can distinctly remember several times that that was not the case.

I don't know. Usually, Christianity is founded in my second city, regardless of any thing else, but all other religions are founded in the last city added to my empire, whether it was through conquest or via a settler. Once I founded a city, and the next turn discovered Pacifism, so Taoism was founded in a 1 pop city with no buildings, religions etc.:confused: On the other hand, I think I've founded a Christianiy in my 2nd city even though it already had 4 or 5 religions:confused:
It might be a glitch, or just wierd luck.:lol:

329) In the future you will be healthier and happier and no major discoveries will occur.

Glass? What is that? :confused: The lenses of our Observatories ( and the windows of scotland yard, I suppose... ) are made of ice ( there are no diamonds or other lens apropriate material as well in game besides ice ) :lol:

330) Which is why observatories are -1 health, they have to use a ton of water to make the ice for the observatory. That and the people just got sick from listening to confusing science jargon.

I thought Laboratories caused -1 :yuck:

331) Library in 1,000BC increase research just as much as modern Labs.

332) Jungles cause :yuck: even though most medicine comes from jungle plants

333) After the Industrial Era, religion pretty much doesn't have any effect, because we all know that people never attack people because of religious reasons in the modern world. Riiiight:mischief:

334) Caesar used to have his soldiers build roads for military conquests. But it is necessary for us to use workers.
335) Slaves can only create workers... They cannot do the workers work themselves.
336) God interferes many times if you want him to but ensures that your leadership qualities go down the drain if you ask him for help. (thanx to noble but fatal worldbuilder)

336) God interferes many times if you want him to but ensures that your leadership qualities go down the drain if you ask him for help. (thanx to noble but fatal worldbuilder)
Aka Blasphemy.

337) The Gods have spoken! Machine Guns on the ground can Take down a Stealth Bomber!

337) The Gods have spoken! Machine Guns on the ground can Take down a Stealth Bomber!

Not mine; they roll over and die for cavalry.

338) Offshore platforms are made of Plastic

341) The most efective way to train merhcants is to create a massive national park containing lush forests and jungles. This is because the park becomes a training spot for new merchants. They travel into the wildlife and find a secluded area where they meditate until they become one with the universe. In this enlightened state, they gain the abiltiy to make people believe that theyneed to buy wothless goods.

These parks are also great training grounds for engineers, spies, scientists and artists. These people travel into the jungles, kill meditating merhcants and use the mercahnts' money to become skilled in their trade.

338) Offshore platforms are made of Plastic
One word: pipelines. Can't build them out of metal because they would conduct electricity and be susceptible to self-ignition. As it is there has to be extreme care taken not to encourage a build-up of static electricity and generate sparks.

342. Corrollary of 340 - the people still fielding their armies dressed in loincloth and wielding their clubs have managed to establish a thriving society which hasn't developed the ability to learn from other cultures effectively. Even Afghan tribesmen in the Khyber Pass (the rough equivalent of spearman v tanks) have SAMs and Kalashnikovs these days...so why not in Civ?

343) There was not one inventor of the Wheel. Their we're most likely 18.

Top Bottom