Altered Maps 3: The rise of the Basque Empire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill3000 said:
The size of an army has nothing to do with how non-"peaceful" a country is.

Crushing different ethnic groups and the occasional bush war probably doesn't help the score :(

Just as a note: I think the second peace map is from 2007, not 2009 (as the first one was).

I doesn't just take into account conflicts, but the potential for conflicts and ability to carry out wars (relations with neighbors, military expenditure), which I would say is valid.

Here is a map where all Indian nations in the United States above 100,00 people get their own countries.

This is only US tribes, though the Anishinaabe land is almost all in Canada. I can't find statistics for Canada. But I do know that there are like 200K Cree in Canada, I don't know enough about the other tribes though.

Anyway, here it is.

This map should be law.

Most of it was German during the inter-war period

No they weren't. Katowice and Krolewska Huta cities had a german majority, at least in the beginnings, but the rural areas around them were polish. There were areas with german majority not far from the city of Bydgoszcz, but they were pretty small.

Crushing different ethnic groups and the occasional bush war probably doesn't help the score :(

Sure, but there's a difference between having a powerful military and using it.

The organization also counted gun ownership in the anti-peace category. :crazyeye:

So...there is a strong correlation when Poland is the imperial power, but none when Poland is not the imperial power?

Not to mention the lack of any strong exceptions in the German-Polish map, but the strong exception in the southeast of the Polish-Ukranian map.

I do not agree with the last one, but I can explain the south-east exception. These terrains were the Dzikie Pola, "Wild Fields (Steppes)", scarcely inhabited before russian colonisation.

And yes, the end of XVIII century and XIX century (conquest of Crimea, Yedisan, Budziak by Russia, colonisation) are as important as polish influence.

There are notable exceptions in Poland as well, although you may not see them. The region of Pszczyna, which used to be in the German Empire, is right-winged. Also, there are almost no Silesians claiming to be a German Minority there, while there are villages with the highest claims (up to 1/4 of population) of Silesian Minority.

No they weren't. Katowice and Krolewska Huta cities had a german majority, at least in the beginnings, but the rural areas around them were polish. There were areas with german majority not far from the city of Bydgoszcz, but they were pretty small.
There was 0 reference to nethnicity in the previous post.

Clearly a significant part of modern Poland (especially that which was part of Imperial Germany), was German in the inter-war years and only part of Poland after the war.

And yes, development may have been very similar under another power, but the difference likely wouldn't have conformed so closely to the former German border.

There was 0 reference to nethnicity in the previous post.

Clearly a significant part of modern Poland (especially that which was part of Imperial Germany), was German in the inter-war years and only part of Poland after the war.

And yes, development may have been very similar under another power, but the difference likely wouldn't have conformed so closely to the former German border.

The post saying "they were german in the middle-war period" was accompanied by a map of territories that Germany lost after ww1. Perhaps he's refered to the parts that've stayed in Germany until ww2, but, then, the choice of map didn't make that clear.

Perhaps he just wanted one that showed the interwar borders and couldn't be bothered to look for a better map (I noticed his map and decided to search wiki for a better one to support his comment). Maybe I am wrong what he was referring to.
All I know for certain was that his statement was true.

I'm surprised you didn't put China or Australia higher.

Australia's main issues are the drought in the southern states and land degradation and habitat destruction in the Murray-Darling Basin. In other areas though, there are less problems. Australia at least have a somewhat competent government that has the environment as a relatively high priority. That and the fact that Australia is a rich country (GDP per capita), means it is more capable of dealing with these problems than, say, Sudan.

China has the resources to make real changes if there is the will, and if corruption is reduced. China has been investing in alternative energy and trying to impose new laws on environmental protection, although they have been difficult to enforce. China's major concern is environmental destruction and water shortage in the northern provinces - these problems are less acute in the south where there's still enough water and where's there are major reforestation projects. China also has a low population growth which means its problems are less and can be dealt with easier than countries with higher population growth.

I'm loving Canada more and more by reading this thread.

Environmental Performance Index 2008

Forestry Policies and implementation

Spoiler :

Fishery

Spoiler :

Agricultural

Spoiler :

Water

Spoiler :

Air pollution

Spoiler :

Biodiversity

Spoiler :

Climate Change

Spoiler :

That was only one variable. Switzerland made the list as one of the most peaceful countries, and it's #3 in the number of guns per capita category.

That's because we have a militia-army and oblige every soldier to take his gun home. (The idea stems from long long ago, when - in case of an invasion - the soldier had to "fight" his way to the barracks to organize the defence...)

This in turn means that many many people in Switzerland have guns at home who don't really care about it and lock it away as good as possible, not that we are gun fanatics... ;-)

Fishery

Spoiler :
Spain is towards the top - fishing quota in Spanish waters - 0 tonnes - fish caught in Spanish waters - 0 tonnes - 100% success - because there are no fish left in Spanish waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom