Realism Invictus

I believe in RI Solar Cult is meant to represent Aztec/Mayan/Incan solar religions, just judging from the design of the temples... however, many parts of the world had some form of solar cult at one point. For example, the Carthaginians worshipped Phoenician solar gods, as well as many other places along the Mediterranean, Egypt had Atenism etc. Mostly every part of the world at one point had solar gods, or some components of a solar belief system. I'm not sure on the specific solar religions the middle-east had, but I do know that they had them. Parts of the ME worshipped the Phoenician gods in Syria and Hittie. The only other type of pagan religion that was more common than solar worship was sex/fertility worship. Both were very common and often these solar/sex/fertility religions from different regions were all mixed together and people worshipped a mixture of gods originating from different cultures.

Very true, and you'll notice that RI reflects this by making it so that mediterranean and other european civs have Sol Invictus replacements for all the buildings and units associated with Solar Cult, and Egypt/Middle eastern civs have Atenism replacements

Hi,

I've been playing RI_svn in multiplayer for a long time with no issues at all. Me and two friends play regularly across a number of versions. We use Hamachi.

I updated to v4771 and installed the mod for my girlfriend on her PC, right next to my PC in our living room. We both have RI_svn v4771 and hamachi, and managed to get a game playing across the same internet connection with no problems at all.

My two other friends that I play with all the time then updated to RI_svn v4771 and checked they could connect to each other. They can.

The problems all start when all 4 players try to connect. Any given two of us can connect but after that if another player connects they get a failed to connect pop-up saying check the firewall settings? That includes the 3 players that play all the time. Even if I take my girlfriend off Hamachin we now can't connect more than 2 players?

Any ideas what might be causing this? We've all tried turning off our firewalls too, and we have the same message popping up.

Very true, and you'll notice that RI reflects this by making it so that mediterranean and other european civs have Sol Invictus replacements for all the buildings and units associated with Solar Cult, and Egypt/Middle eastern civs have Atenism replacements

Yeah, the historical accuracy of this mod is quite spectacular.

Does it seem odd to anyone else that religion is based on technology. As far as I can determine only the first civ to reach a specific tech is given a religion. Thus it is possible to never gain a religion unless is spreads from a nearby culture.

Wouldn't it be better to have Great Prophets give up a selected religion?

Many other mods have that.. the other thing I've seen, that I quite liked, was C2C's religion techs. Here, you discover, say, monotheism, and that leads to the Judaism tech, the first to discover that founds the religion.

Of course, you all have bigger fish to fry ;)

My big overall wish for the religion system would be to have a "schism" mechanism so that, say, Christianity could be split into Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox, Islam into Shia/Sunni, etc.
These schismatic religions could perhaps have a random event triggered by a certain technology spawn them (much like the way they work in RFC: DOC) with buildings being replaced, etc.
Although I'm pretty sure I've said this on this thread somewhere like a year and a half ago :D

My big overall wish for the religion system would be to have a "schism" mechanism so that, say, Christianity could be split into Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox, Islam into Shia/Sunni, etc.

when revolution start,you are in war with the same state religion country, or if you hate the country with holy city of your religion, event "Schizm" should have a chance to start and all cities with state religion ( like catholic) turn into "schism" version with holy city in capitol.

additional if other countries too hate holy city owner, have a revolution or have a war with the same religion country they have a chance to convert on schizm version and remove the oryginal rel.

bonus from having the same religion should be halved ( if you had +6 it turn to +3 and slowly grow, time to increase again to +6 will be dubled )
in description some like "our religions grow with the same root" or "Despite the differences, in the end we belive in the same god"

I am curious when you play at this level how big a world, how many opponents, and do you play from a single save? When I say a single save I mean you play through and do not go back to an earlier save if you lose battles or AI does something unpredictable.

Cheers!

I've played around with world settings a lot, I used to play really big worlds (huge, 25-30 civs) but I've scaled it down a bit recently to more like large, 18-20. I don't play from a single save, I reload a lot. I use the autosaves - if the game is more F'ed up than I can fix from the last autosave, it's time to restart. Some games you can't win.

So I have been playing a new game for the last week and I am having a devil of a time trying to find copper. Either the RI maps do not distribute copper enough or there is just too much dependency on the metal.

I am also without iron, but do have horses and Prime Timber. Of course one cannot build a Bronze factory without copper and that limits most of my starting units.

First, I think it is ridiculous that War Canoes require bronze. They should only need Prime Timber, perhaps with copper and iron giving a bonus to its production.

Second, I think most units should have two resources that are needed as an "or" rather than predicated on only 1 resource.

when revolution start,you are in war with the same state religion country, or if you hate the country with holy city of your religion, event "Schizm" should have a chance to start and all cities with state religion ( like catholic) turn into "schism" version with holy city in capitol.

additional if other countries too hate holy city owner, have a revolution or have a war with the same religion country they have a chance to convert on schizm version and remove the oryginal rel.

bonus from having the same religion should be halved ( if you had +6 it turn to +3 and slowly grow, time to increase again to +6 will be dubled )
in description some like "our religions grow with the same root" or "Despite the differences, in the end we belive in the same god"

I hesitated to add something about changing diplo bonuses, because with a glance at history (and current events) you can see that sometimes being that slight bit off was almost worse, ie Spain/ France with Protestants, England/Germany with Catholics, and Sunni/Shia with each other.

On the other hand, it could create a sort of setting-aside of doctrinal differences to fight a common religious enemy with whom they both disagree more.

It could go either way, I suppose, or depend on the leader (much like the current diplo hits/bonuses from religion are)

Hi ! I just wanted to say that this mod is amazing ! ^^ I really love it but it takes a huge amount of time to load and I wanted to ask if that's normal ?

+ I get this error a lot :

Hi ! I just wanted to say that this mod is amazing ! ^^ I really love it but it takes a huge amount of time to load and I wanted to ask if that's normal ?

+ I get this error a lot :

I have never seen this error while I played, but have you tried reducing the graphic settings n the options menu? I have a friend that plays on the minimal settings after he had problems with the game crashing.

I have never seen this error while I played, but have you tried reducing the graphic settings n the options menu? I have a friend that plays on the minimal settings after he had problems with the game crashing.

I've tried reducing AA from 4 to 2 and it didn't help :( I'll try turning it of as well as swithing detailed terrain off and see if that helps) Thanks for a reply. Any more solutions ? Also what about a huge loading time is it normal ? Also when I load RI and try to load a saved game it asks me to load RI again (and game restarts and then loads RI again and then loads a saved game - it's weird, never happened to me before).
Also I'll try to delete all of the custom assets folder contents - after a backup of course - It says in the manual "clear the custom assets" but I'm not sure if by "clear" the author means "delete" :confused:

I will keep on trying beacuse this mod is amazing and I would really love to play it without issues.

I would really appreciate any help You guys can provide. Thank You :)

I feel like a fool asking such a rudimentary question, something I get the feeling is answered somewhere either in this behemoth of a thread or elsehwere in the forums. But here it goes.

Q: I liked some element from your mod (piece of artwork, concept etc), and I want to use it in my own mod. May I?

A: By all means you should do it! Realism Invictus by itself draws heavily on the creations of other Civ4 community members, especially on CFC. We would be delighted if some part of our mod would help other fellow modders to create better stuff.

We always felt our work to be a community effort, and as such we would very much like to give back to community as well. Our mod has tons of stuff incorporated into it, and much of it can currently only be found in it - we'd like that to change. Releasing all the units, buildings etc. from the mod separately on CFC is not an option, not only due to the sheer amount of separate items, but also due to the fact that our own involvment in its different bits and pieces varies greatly - from making stuff from scratch to redoing the textures and reshaping the models to even simply resaving stuff in a more efficient way (say, removing unused alpha channels in textures).

Therefore we urge you all to thoroughly pillage our mod for content. I can assure you, even if you already saw this particular unit/building/improvement/whatever on CFC, please take your time to compare, and in over 80% of cases you'll find that our version has been improved in some aspect. You can use any of our stuff without asking, but it would be nice if you informed us, just so we can enjoy the fact our work is being appreciated by the community.

Fantastic! There are lots of things I would love to use in Realism Invictus for my own mods and projects, and I would adore uploading them personally for other people to enjoy.

But... I am a beginner, I know how to add things to CIV4ArtDefines XML files, have them appear in game, so on and so forth. But some things are well beyond my skill level. I can copy a good deal of things from your XML files, which I can find easily by entering the assets folder.

Except for one thing... when I go into the art folder I just see "Movies". I am sure there is an obvious method here that either I overlooked in the modding tutorials or something along those lines.

I've spent the last month hunting down quite a bit of material around here for my purposes, and I have enough to do quite a lot with, but many of the older files have been taken down or expired in some way or another and I am pretty sure the only way to get them is to sneak them out of a mod already using them that is still being updated. For example, the ethnic great people nifs that Seasnake uploaded are no longer there. I've managed to get a few of them, like the Andean Merchant, but others have eluded me (or been outdated and incompatible with the current version of BTS- I have a modern Asian great spy who makes the game crash).

The problem is almost all of these mods (not just yours, but I am asking you because you seem to have the best set, expanding on the BUG mod substancially) use installers rather than zip files which makes it easy to insert on the computer but is giving me fits pillaging like the frenzied barbarian I am. So basically... won't you help me make off with your women and horses gentlemen? How do I get at your delicious art meats? Sorry for my loathsome greeness, and again, if this is something already answered elsewhere and I overlooked it/it didn't show up in my search results I apologize.

Okay so the problems/crashes I've had earlier were conneted to the MAF issue on Earth map ... also lowering details to medium sorted out video issue. I've sorted out realoading save issue and "long load times" issue ... so I'm now looking for an "light" Earth Map for RI with max 15-18 civ's and preferably Poland in it :) Know of any ? Please point me in the right diretion :) Thank You :)

Okay so the problems/crashes I've had earlier were conneted to the MAF issue on Earth map ... also lowering details to medium sorted out video issue. I've sorted out realoading save issue and "long load times" issue ... so I'm now looking for an "light" Earth Map for RI with max 15-18 civ's and preferably Poland in it :) Know of any ? Please point me in the right diretion :) Thank You :)

Definitely do not platy on the Earth map. Great idea but horrible execution. I tried it on my relatively monstrous machine -- i7, 64-bit, 8 gigs of RAM, gig video card, and it was crawling on the 20th turn.

Just use the RI world map generators. Much less headache. These guys have made an awesome mod so not being able to play on Earth is counter-balanced with just great game and art designs.

So I went through and enabled all the civilizations. A tremendous amount of work went into locking down the non-playable cultures.

I had to play with settlers too, as well as some of the starting cultural buildings.

I found that most were playable right from the start, with just a few anomalies such as odd looking troop art.

To be honest, I love playing the North American Indians!!! They have a completely different feel to the game. They start out not being able to build a worker until much later in the game, but you can build a hunter gatherer that creates a hunting camp that lasts for 20 turns or so. I did change it so that after it is exhausted, you can build another one in its place, but the worker still dies in the process.

I sort of understand why you locked down so many incredibly cool cultures, but then again maybe a switch or an option to turn them on or off would be better.

Can't wait to start a new game tonight; playing the Crusader Kingdoms this time around!

But... I am a beginner, I know how to add things to CIV4ArtDefines XML files, have them appear in game, so on and so forth. But some things are well beyond my skill level. I can copy a good deal of things from your XML files, which I can find easily by entering the assets folder.

How do I get at your delicious art meats? Sorry for my loathsome greeness, and again, if this is something already answered elsewhere and I overlooked it/it didn't show up in my search results I apologize.

I have been tearing into XML for five years and still learn stuff every day. I have created a fair amount of mods as well, mostly standing on the backs of giants. I have only dabbled in modifying XML files but find that it grants me so much power in the game.

To get at the art files you need to open up the FPK files. You can find the unpak program in the utilities folder. To edit thumbnails you need to be able a photoshop plugin (the name escapes me -- i'm at work so can't check).

This post may better be served on another forum folder.

Definitely do not platy on the Earth map. Great idea but horrible execution. I tried it on my relatively monstrous machine -- i7, 64-bit, 8 gigs of RAM, gig video card, and it was crawling on the 20th turn.

Just use the RI world map generators. Much less headache. These guys have made an awesome mod so not being able to play on Earth is counter-balanced with just great game and art designs.

Yes I agree - not being able to play the earth map is a little let down but the outstanding art and really great design of RI totally make up for it ! :)

Hello RI, i wanted to ask you for what is electricity needed now after factory bonuses were moved to craftsman?

Thanks for making the best game ever! :goodjob:

Top Bottom