Realism Invictus

The problem is that on the slower speeds things like unit production are slowed down at the same time as tech rate, so you're back at square one. I think this is one of the biggest flaws in the unmodded game and it's depressing to think that 99% of players are still playing this way, even in mods.

When you get more turns to play with things before they go obsolete, EVERY other part of the game is enhanced.

Yes, that's true.

By itself, speed isn't the only important factor.
The map you're playing on, your trade agreement, the difficulty level of the game, the leader... are also imortant factors that may speed-up (or not) the techs discovery and/or production, so the game. Beeing a spiritual leader on a northern (tundra) island isn't the same as beeing an industrial leader close to hills and rivers !
Many things are linked and it's not easy to balance.

Try a large random map (terra, archipelago, tectonic for example), with 11 to 13 civs, on Monarch (or more) difficulty. You will have an interesting challenge. This is how i test, play...and often loose. :p

one more point. Didn't use it before so I didn't notice:

7. Naval Mines
They just don't work. They are completely invisible and neutral for everything else. They are not attacked neither by privateers during peace nor enemies during war - they just stay like spies. In my last game I built c.a. 30 of them and soon I had to disband them all :cry:

BTW: regarding AI aggression I wrote before - it could potentially be a good idea to integrate Revolutions mod into Invictus - this could somehow counterbalance constant aggressive wars.

Couple of things I've noticed since getting some time under my belt with this release.

1) The Quest of the Holy mountain had me (on a Terra map) having to settle in the New World. Fair enough I thought. Then I get there to find this:

Gonna be hard to settle near that, even with a great Artist.

Furthermore on that point, any chance that this quest could be disabled? It smacks far too much of magic for a mod that is championing the cause of realism.

2) Does exp cap out at some point? One of my units is 144/145 and has been so for ages despite killing more than thirty barbarian units in the New World. I'm still getting GG points though, and other units fighting are getting exp.

3) Fortress Alamut wonder movie causes dreadful audio distortion.

4) I kinda of miss siege units being able to kill stuff. Any chance of it being re-introduced?

5) Thankyou thankyou THANKYOU for making revolting slave units unable to move on the turn they appear. Makes slavery/serfdom FAR more enjoyable to play with. Again, THANKYOU!

How do I build Forest Preserves? I have a National Forest built in my capital, and I wanted to take advantage of it, yet for some reason my workers don't have the option. According the the Sevlopedia I have the prereqs, which is just biology (yes I have Biology). I'm on tiles with a forest... what am I missing? Is it bugged? :crazyeye:

Couple of things I've noticed since getting some time under my belt with this release.

1) The Quest of the Holy mountain had me (on a Terra map) having to settle in the New World. Fair enough I thought. Then I get there to find this:

Gonna be hard to settle near that, even with a great Artist.

Well, if you do a quick CFC search, you will see plenty of people who are even more unlucky than you. The mountain can even spawn on a one-tile island in the middle of an ocean. :)

Furthermore on that point, any chance that this quest could be disabled? It smacks far too much of magic for a mod that is championing the cause of realism.

It would be if it gave any substantial reward. Currently it just reflects the deep satisfaction of the clergy of your country, who had you running their errands in pursuit for some piece of rock they designated holy. ;)

2) Does exp cap out at some point? One of my units is 144/145 and has been so for ages despite killing more than thirty barbarian units in the New World. I'm still getting GG points though, and other units fighting are getting exp.

XP from barbarians does.

3) Fortress Alamut wonder movie causes dreadful audio distortion.

Hm, I get no audio at all in it. I think I could redo that.

4) I kinda of miss siege units being able to kill stuff. Any chance of it being re-introduced?

Nope, we're quite satisfied with them as they are. The next change that may happen to them is the ranged bombardment, but nowhere soon.

5) Thankyou thankyou THANKYOU for making revolting slave units unable to move on the turn they appear. Makes slavery/serfdom FAR more enjoyable to play with. Again, THANKYOU!

Well, that thing was bugging myself, and it was a change I personally advocated. I find slavery/serfdom much more enjoyable to run now.

How do I build Forest Preserves? I have a National Forest built in my capital, and I wanted to take advantage of it, yet for some reason my workers don't have the option. According the the Sevlopedia I have the prereqs, which is just biology (yes I have Biology). I'm on tiles with a forest... what am I missing? Is it bugged? :crazyeye:

Oops, turned to be they were. Fixed for 3.01. Thanks for pointing out! :goodjob:

First of all i wish to congratulate you guys for your awesome mod, i hope you include new stuff soon.
Now on the main point: The mod is crashing a LOT here. My computer isn't a SUPER computer, but is considerable. It crashes in less than 20 turns in a duel size map, playing 1 civ only! My computer can't suck this bad. I think there is something wrong with the mod.

My PC specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz Performance Rated at: 5.94 GHz
RAM: 3.2 GB
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 32-bit
Video Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Sound Card: Dispositivo de High Definition Audio

Can someone explain me what's wrong here?

First of all i wish to congratulate you guys for your awesome mod, i hope you include new stuff soon.
Now on the main point: The mod is crashing a LOT here. My computer isn't a SUPER computer, but is considerable. It crashes in less than 20 turns in a duel size map, playing 1 civ only! My computer can't suck this bad. I think there is something wrong with the mod.

My PC specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz Performance Rated at: 5.94 GHz
RAM: 3.2 GB
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 32-bit
Video Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Sound Card: Dispositivo de High Definition Audio

Can someone explain me what's wrong here?

There is definitely something wrong with something. This is the second case that's being reported of some wild CTD behaviour. That should NOT be happening, but I am at a loss of what could be wrong here. Of the hardware configuration, Intel chipset video card is most suspicious to me. Does it support SM 2.0?

Is it just a simple addition of a one somewhere in the XML I could do? Or otherwise how long do I have to wait? I really, really want to run a happy land of enviromentalists... :lol:

Well, it is quite a lot to add, since there are lots of flavor workers. I already fixed that for 3.01; I won't set any dates, but we'll try to push it out as quickly as we can - a couple of weeks is a reasonable estimate.

While I was playing as Arabia, I noticed that many of the African barbarian/minor faction cities seem to be pushovers. By AD 1, Egypt had conquered the city of Kongo, Ashanti, and Igbo and around AD 500 the Swahili states were destroyed (I think by the Zulu). One of the things that I liked about the final Warlords version is that conquering Africa had to wait at least until the later medieval period. All of these cities were conquered with ancient armies, have the African cities been weakened or is it a fluke?
I would start a new game and open the world builder to check their defenses, but I don't want to spoil the new map for myself. I want the new feeling to last as long as possible. :crazyeye:
Besides this, it's been great so far!

Excuse me, but what is "SM 2.0"?
I don't know much about computer hardware.

OK, I checked this myself for you. While your other system specs are quite decent, your videocard is only around minimum requirements for playing Civ4. Our mod is very graphics-heavy, perhaps more so than any other, and I'm sorry to say, but your videocard seems to have problems with it. Try playing on lower graphical settings (I'd suggest medium detail and probably a lower resolution) - but without a dedicated video card (and what you have is not a dedicated video card, but a video controller on a motherboard) you will likely still have problems.

While I was playing as Arabia, I noticed that many of the African barbarian/minor faction cities seem to be pushovers. By AD 1, Egypt had conquered the city of Kongo, Ashanti, and Igbo and around AD 500 the Swahili states were destroyed (I think by the Zulu). One of the things that I liked about the final Warlords version is that conquering Africa had to wait at least until the later medieval period. All of these cities were conquered with ancient armies, have the African cities been weakened or is it a fluke?
I would start a new game and open the world builder to check their defenses, but I don't want to spoil the new map for myself. I want the new feeling to last as long as possible. :crazyeye:
Besides this, it's been great so far!

Yep, you are right, Africa is probably being an excessive pushover in 3.0. We'll likely reinforce the African minors a bit for the new map version. Overall, I did a lot of balancing work on the world map for 3.01, and it should play better (and even a tad faster).

Hi folks, looking for some help, I have the Steam version of Civ 4 complete and I've been trying to install the Realism Invictus 3 Mod but I'm not 100& sure which path it has to be installed to, I try to install into the Beyond the Sword folder located in the Steam directory and it lets me click "next" so it seems to identify correctly as the install location but all I get is errors copying files and no install occurs, could really do with some help :(

OK, I checked this myself for you. While your other system specs are quite decent, your videocard is only around minimum requirements for playing Civ4. Our mod is very graphics-heavy, perhaps more so than any other, and I'm sorry to say, but your videocard seems to have problems with it. Try playing on lower graphical settings (I'd suggest medium detail and probably a lower resolution) - but without a dedicated video card (and what you have is not a dedicated video card, but a video controller on a motherboard) you will likely still have problem.

F***! This video card again. Well, whatever. Thanks for answer so quickly. Awaiting for updates!

7. Naval Mines
They just don't work. They are completely invisible and neutral for everything else. They are not attacked neither by privateers during peace nor enemies during war - they just stay like spies. In my last game I built c.a. 30 of them and soon I had to disband them all :cry:

do you confirm this problem? will it be fixed?

I've run into an issue where I get a Runtime/Visual C++ when I try to load a RI Earth map game. Install was fine, so what do I need? Haven't tried loading a regular map yet, though.

EDIT: Mod works fine with normal maps, so it must be a problem with the Earth map

Curious:
If you won't (I know you said "maybe" but if you don't...) introduce full RevDCM into this modpack, will you consider incorporating Advanced Unit Automation modcomp from RevDCM. It help me a lot because of my low vision. I only concentrate on conquering cities and let my unit automatically border patrol or hunt (whichever I need them to do).

If you do include this modcomp, I will be very grateful!

Well, it is quite a lot to add, since there are lots of flavor workers. I already fixed that for 3.01; I won't set any dates, but we'll try to push it out as quickly as we can - a couple of weeks is a reasonable estimate.

Well, I'm comfortable poking around in code. Given your statement, that's already pointing me towards something in the worker files I guess. ;)

I mean, even if I don't have to do it to all bajillion workers, I could still do it to mine... :mischief: Who cares if the AI can't by golly, they're a bunch of warmongerers anyways, my happy peaceful environmentalists simply want to save the earth from their nuclear winter... :goodjob:

EDIT: I did it!!! :king:

<Build>
<BuildType>BUILD_FOREST_PRESERVE</BuildType>
<bBuild>1</bBuild>
</Build>

But yeah, you weren't kidding about how many workers there are... :eek:

That's gotta be one of those "Darn it, why'd we have to go and make so many cool and unique flavorful units!" moments for you when you realised you had to add it all back in. :lol:

Hi folks, looking for some help, I have the Steam version of Civ 4 complete and I've been trying to install the Realism Invictus 3 Mod but I'm not 100& sure which path it has to be installed to, I try to install into the Beyond the Sword folder located in the Steam directory and it lets me click "next" so it seems to identify correctly as the install location but all I get is errors copying files and no install occurs, could really do with some help :(

Try the archived version instead. There is something wrong with installer when it doesn't autodetect your game path.

do you confirm this problem? will it be fixed?

I confirm it; as for whether it will be fixed, we'll see. They will probably have to be disabled instead.

Curious:
If you won't (I know you said "maybe" but if you don't...) introduce full RevDCM into this modpack, will you consider incorporating Advanced Unit Automation modcomp from RevDCM. It help me a lot because of my low vision. I only concentrate on conquering cities and let my unit automatically border patrol or hunt (whichever I need them to do).

If you do include this modcomp, I will be very grateful!

We'll be looking at RevDCM components; hard to be definite for now.

But yeah, you weren't kidding about how many workers there are... :eek:

That's gotta be one of those "Darn it, why'd we have to go and make so many cool and unique flavorful units!" moments for you when you realised you had to add it all back in. :lol:

Yep, that was it. :)

Top Bottom