Ancient India Mod Project

civilleader

Prince
I want to create a mod for ancient India regarding the post-Indus Valley India dominated by many tiny nations each seeking to make their mark on the subcontinent. I plan to have many (31)Indian states located in India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Afghanistan. Persia and Tibet are going to have a hell lot of barbarians to weaken India's many nations. I am trying to design it after I get a hold of Conquests. Any suggestions are welcome here.

I will need unit help, the rest of the mod is do-able.

What exactly will this scenario begin? The Indus Valley kingdoms changed so many times and has had so many civilizations it's a hard task. Especially since much of the history is little known.

I need my main help in getting units. I dont plan to have "unique units" for every civ per say, but it might take the approach as done in Cossacks. In Cossacks, each country has a set of units overlapping with another countries and sometimes a unique unit of their own. In this way I can give each civ units that pertain to it for its given time period. I can also shine the limelight on the really major nations of the era, ie. Magadha, Kosala, the Kurus, etc. I also might need to form alot of governments like republic, monarchy. I need to research on others. Maybe I might try using tribal council to start or council of elders.

Another issue is how to simulate invasions with Greeks (Alexander) and Persia. I am going to put a hell lot of barbs in Baluchistan and everything north and west of it. These areas will have persian barbs. I want Persia, Greece as barbs since they really did not stay in India too long till they left. Alexander's Indian empire quickly fell to Chandragupta Mauraya's army. Persia's empire in India falls like the rest of Persia to Greece. Tibet (Bhoota or something close to it in Sanskrit) may also be barbarian. Tibet though didn't do to much chaos in India.
The civ culture will also play a role in this mod. The meditteranean culture group civs will be all Indo-European civs. Asian will denote Dravidian civs. BTW Simhala (Sri Lanka) is Indo-European not Dravidian as practical belief goes.
Finally the mod will end approx. 800 CE prior to Islamic invasionson India. This will make the mod centered on the true "classical" time of India from the birth of the Vedas (Hindu scriptures) to the fall of the Indian states to Persian, and Turkish conquest.

Update, the scenario will feature definately the following civs: Andhara, Cheras, Cholas, Pandyas, Panchala, Kurus/Hastinapura, Magadha, Surasena, Simhala, Nepala, Kashmira, Gandhara, Sind, Karnata/Dakshinapatha, and Kalinga. The north is going to be crowded. The very south will be rather empty. The central area and the southwest will have fewer cities and civilization. Roadds will span the entire area.

Originally posted by civilleader
Another issue is how to simulate invasions with Greeks (Alexander) and Persia. I am going to put a hell lot of barbs in Baluchistan and everything north and west of it. These areas will have persian barbs. I want Persia, Greece as barbs since they really did not stay in India too long till they left. Alexander's Indian empire quickly fell to Chandragupta Mauraya's army. Persia's empire in India falls like the rest of Persia to Greece. Tibet (Bhoota or something close to it in Sanskrit) may also be barbarian. Tibet though didn't do to much chaos in India.
The civ culture will also play a role in this mod. The meditteranean culture group civs will be all Indo-European civs. Asian will denote Dravidian civs. BTW Simhala (Sri Lanka) is Indo-European not Dravidian as practical belief goes.
Finally the mod will end approx. 800 CE prior to Islamic invasionson India. This will make the mod centered on the true "classical" time of India from the birth of the Vedas (Hindu scriptures) to the fall of the Indian states to Persian, and Turkish conquest.

You might want to make Alexander's invasion as the end point to your scenario. That way the challenge is to unify India and make it strong before the Greeks can come in and exploit the warring states or something like that. I figure it makes a good scenario ending because after Alexander Chandgupta basically unified India after that.

Do you have city styles too?

I like that idea, but just one thing India's golden age is afterwards during the Gupta Empire (~200-~600) CE. half my wonders are from that time period. I'm thinking about what to do. I like your idea though. The greeks and persians will probably be barbarians since they didn't last too long.
Btw no empire in India lasted too long so and even Chandragupta's mauraya empires doesn't last too long. The many different civs should simulate this even if you do sucessfully take a certain region.

i can think of a name to this scenario:
The roar of the lion(Indian lion?)
BTW, i think it would god knows how many times cooler if it dealed also with modern india, but i guess that's not going to happen

you want resources?
here it goes(walk with me, her civilleader):
monsoon(bonus, shield 2 or 3+)
Crocodiles(leather)
Elephants(Ivory)
Najas(cobras)
Tigers
cocoanuts

Top Bottom