Bonus grass - from a noob, for noobs

solitha

Chieftain
A lot of strategies and tips mention "bonus" grasslands and how best to use them, but I could not actually find any help basic enough to explain how to find the blasted things.

Look for grasslands with a small gray rock on the tile. (Or please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Perhaps someone with the POWAH could add this in somewhere? I suppose it's so basic most people don't think about it, but CivIII Complete is my first foray into the Civ series, and that one concept was stumping me for hours. :blush: Either that, or I completely missed where it's mentioned, which is entirely possible.

Further reading has me confused about jungles vs forests. I don't see how to tell them apart visually. What is the "small gray rock" here?

I believe its a shield and not a rock but yes thats how to tell a bonus grassland.

Forests and Jungles can look similar but if you right click on the tile you will get terain info which will advise you if your looking at a jungle.

and if you die of disease, it was jungle, too :D

t_x

In the creation forum there are many mods for terrain. You may want to look them over and pick one that makes it easier for you to tell. Ialways considered the BG to have a little rock to represent the shield.

I think Crackers Opening Moves has a diagram with al the tiles and their values.

If you go to Preferences on the opening screen, you find options for the game. Make sure the box for "show food and shields on map" is checked. You'll then see the icons on the different tiles. You can then turn that feature off by unchecking the box, once you know what the tiles actually are. That way you'll see them in both fashions. Might help.

You can also access Preferences in game, by clicking File, then Preferences.

I always have that off, that way I can see any BG easier.

I always have that off, that way I can see any BG easier.
Yeah, me too. But we're not solitha. I meant it to be a reference point and to show the difference while displaying the the tiles.

I have the "little trees" BG graphic. It is so quick to spot this way but I can't find it to provide a link... life is like that eh?

I'll do some more searching and get back to you

An image always works wonders...

as you see, north of the settler, there is a tile of grassland which has a little white dot. That's bonus grassland. It yields 1 shield on top of the 2 food you get with normal grassland, without the need to mine it first.

Top Bottom