Scramble for africa on deity

crocivfanatic

Warlord
I trying to get achivement with Turkey and Boers,but seems it just does not work.
First with boer problem is unmet nation(probaly Egypt)always have 500 score more.
Another problem is England which declare war near end(8 turns before end)

And when it comes to Turkey,Italy gets tooeasy cities as their ironclads have special promotion against cities and nothing seems to help,even having 3 rifling cannons yet i cant produce my own ironclads due lack of coal,so i survive only 20 turns in game.

Any clue ?

I started a threat for this already, the problem is mainly Etheopia although I have seen Egypt, Italy, and France win by 2k+ over anyone else. If you play it through till the end they will beat you by 2-3k.

As far as finishing with Boer there are a few ways, but my most successful attempts are to go straight for Capetown and start building ironclads then finish off England and Germany. Portugal should declare war on you but you can just send all your troops north to defend.

As far as Ottomans forget it. Unless they do a patch to change something Italy will just spam Ironclads and nuke your cities every single time. You may want to try sending every single available trade ship to them and pray they don't zerg you right away, but eventually they will probably kill you anyway just because you are much easier and closer than Egypt or the sand ninjas.

You have zero control over NA so you can do nothing about it. Poor design and just shows their inept (if existent) analysis team.

Did you declared war to england immediately on start and then attacked ?Did you started to build rifled cannon with first turn?
I dont know howmuch extra first civ would have but i think it would not be more then 700 points.During game i was at war with zulu and killed like billions of his units(since it easy to kill them)and each kill bring some culture.In theory if england would never declared war to me or zulu i could maybe collect enough culture with just killing his units.

And when it comes to ottomans,what i noticed if you give tunisia(city on left)to egypt,they never declare war to egypt for some reason(nor any other europe nation).But if you give it to Marocco,then It will be attacked by either Italy or France.Another thing what i noticed,is when i gave tunisia to Egypt,Italy didnt immediately attacked tripoli(capitol) while in case where you give it to Marroco,or let them takeover,they do.
It is possible how that part is indeed bugged as all europeans civs declare war on turn 10 which doesn't have any sense.So only what comes to my mind at this moment is to build as settler,sell other two cities to egpty,and then trade max till you win lol.

Did you declared war to england immediately on start and then attacked ?Did you started to build rifled cannon with first turn?

Yesir, get the GG from your policy tree (Warrior Code) and plant him right on top of the horses, you need 1 cannon and a couple of your original infantry.

I dont know how much extra first civ would have but i think it would not be more then 700 points. During game i was at war with zulu and killed like billions of his units(since it easy to kill them)and each kill bring some culture.In theory if england would never declared war to me or zulu i could maybe collect enough culture with just killing his units.

This is just my experience mind you but:

. At least 1 NA will always run away unhindered and will score around 6k so you have to beat that score as stopping them is not possible. This means that war is the only viable option for play style, you will never accumulate enough score based upon culture alone. You need to land grab through conquest as the bonus culture per unit is huge, I have completed my tree with 20-30 turns left every time and only scored around 3k.
. England will always declare war on you at some point in the game as will Germany, Belgium, and France.
. Zulus are great for leveling up your volunteers, but they are also kindof a buffer between you and the Europeans. I tend to try and avoid war with them.

And when it comes to ottomans,what i noticed if you give tunisia(city on left)to egypt,they never declare war to egypt for some reason(nor any other europe nation).But if you give it to Marocco,then It will be attacked by either Italy or France.Another thing what i noticed,is when i gave tunisia to Egypt,Italy didnt immediately attacked tripoli(capitol) while in case where you give it to Marroco,or let them takeover,they do.

I only played Otto once and not all the way through as the zerg on turn 10 was ridiculously laughable. It needs a patch.

It is possible how that part is indeed bugged as all europeans civs declare war on turn 10 which doesn't have any sense.So only what comes to my mind at this moment is to build as settler,sell other two cities to egpty,and then trade max till you win lol.

Not bugged, just poor design and lack of software analysis, if they had hired a real person to try theses civs on Deity it never would have rolled out like this.

I dont know howmuch extra first civ would have but i think it would not be more then 700 points.During game i was at war with zulu and killed like billions of his units(since it easy to kill them)and each kill bring some culture.In theory if england would never declared war to me or zulu i could maybe collect enough culture with just killing his units.

Tried another play through today keeping peace with England but Portugal DW on me and refused peace the whole game, same exact results me 2nd place with ~3.5k and Ethiopia over 6k.

One thing I have noticed is that in games where Portugal will DW you and won't ever stop sending troops your way and refusing peace, Ethiopia goes uncontested to 6k+, This is mainly because they are the only real threat from the south against Ethiopia.

I have played a few games where Portugal didn't DoW me though and in those games Italy or France then go buck wild with over 5k.

It is impossible for you as Boer on deity to get more than 4k max. if you stay in SA so I am thinking maybe take your whole starting team up to Ethiopia and build a quick army to take their cities, the only problem with that is Portugal and even Zulus will be at your heels the whole time sending waves of troops from the rear, I know because I sort of did this one game, but I never amassed enough troops to really take down Etheopia.

My last game as the Boers, it looks like I have to defend second city to get enough culture.

Attachments

• 2013%2D07%2D28%5F00002.jpg
    2013%2D07%2D28%5F00002.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 1,682
As the Ottomans, Italy is by far the least of your worries. I've managed to take them out in several games by trading for Morocco's coal and stealing their fleet. The problem comes in trying to get enough points for victory. Gold just doesn't seem to give enough points to over take Egypt and Ethiopia.

My current Boer game I think I can win. I got a really cheesy start in the middle of a circular mountain range, with a lake in the center, and hills everywhere. Only open front is to the north where the Zulus have their two cities. Pretty much no way I can get wiped out.

As the Ottomans, Italy is by far the least of your worries. I've managed to take them out in several games by trading for Morocco's coal and stealing their fleet. The problem comes in trying to get enough points for victory. Gold just doesn't seem to give enough points to over take Egypt and Ethiopia.

My current Boer game I think I can win. I got a really cheesy start in the middle of a circular mountain range, with a lake in the center, and hills everywhere. Only open front is to the north where the Zulus have their two cities. Pretty much no way I can get wiped out.

Italy is far from "the least of your worries" it is the main aggressor, the fact that you won't win from gold alone on deity has been asserted. You have to both conquest AND make as much money as possible.

You will still lose that game unless you get VERY lucky because Ethiopia will still destroy you regardless if you bottleneck and slay foes for 100 turns.

My last game as the Boers, it looks like I have to defend second city to get enough culture.

Defending a second city won't help you unless someone takes out Ethiopia up North and no one else runs off in score, although you got a decent score it still comes down to a crap shoot every single game, which is kinda irritating considering you have to play at least 75ish turns to see if it's going to be a no win.

Could you share the starting save? :)
Italy is far from "the least of your worries" it is the main aggressor, the fact that you won't win from gold alone on deity has been asserted. You have to both conquest AND make as much money as possible.

You will still lose that game unless you get VERY lucky because Ethiopia will still destroy you regardless if you bottleneck and slay foes for 100 turns.
Similar experience with Ottomans. Only difference is I bought own settler to get coals.

Since Egypt is effectively protected by player, and he gets crazy trade route golds from the Suez, I couldn't even get to #2.
Defending a second city won't help you unless someone takes out Ethiopia up North and no one else runs off in score, although you got a decent score it still comes down to a crap shoot every single game, which is kinda irritating considering you have to play at least 75ish turns to see if it's going to be a no win.
Looks like this scenario needs some rework then.

Could you share the starting save? :)

Similar experience with Ottomans. Only difference is I bought own settler to get coals.

Since Egypt is effectively protected by player, and he gets crazy trade route golds from the Suez, I couldn't even get to #2.

Looks like this scenario needs some rework then.

Yep Etheopia from turn 75-100 has a HUGE spike (about 3k) that sends him soaring above everyone else by 2-3k.

Part of the issue is that he gets a remarkably easy defensable possition, and is guaranteed 1+ NW's, usually lake victoria and source of the nile, sometimes mt kill all of those are HUGE bonuses just to have in your territory. This is all on top of his exceptional culture bonuses.

So basically unless Italy decides to try and win by actually attacking Etheopia with it's full force you need a score of 6k+ to win.

A handful of people have gotten extremely lucky and managed to win but I would be curious to see their scores, I am betting they are not over 4k and someone up north kept E in check.

I am in the process of trying various other strategies, but the further you move your cities the more you get behind. If I had 150 turns I could pull it off because I could eliminate Etheopia, but as it is 100 turns isn't enough for that type of strat.

I have also planted both cities behind Ethiopia, made defensive pacts and let everyone DOW me , none of them make it through Etheopia though just a huge pile of ships on the coast that can't do anything. I lost 25 turns so came in third with Etheopia at 5k.

They should probably give Immortal/Deity 200 turns and King/Emperor 150 turns.

Now i am bit confused,you keep mentioning how Ethiopia have bigger score then you,does that means you didn't managed to win yet ?

Playing as the Boers worked out too simple for me and actually killed the scenario. At the very beginning I joined Portugal and England in their war against the Zulu, gained favourable diplomatic bonuses and became friends with Portugal. Soon after that, Portugal became friends with other nations and a chain reaction started. All that was left for me to do was to remain buddies with Portugal, keep an eye on England and sit the rest of the game out.

Just have to laugh about this post.. :mischief:

Laugh because it's true or because they would have released it anyway knowing it's flawed.

You started yours by creating a worker which is hilarious in it's own right. :)

Playing as the Boers worked out too simple for me and actually killed the scenario. At the very beginning I joined Portugal and England in their war against the Zulu, gained favourable diplomatic bonuses and became friends with Portugal. Soon after that, Portugal became friends with other nations and a chain reaction started. All that was left for me to do was to remain buddies with Portugal, keep an eye on England and sit the rest of the game out.

Play on deity which is the point of this whole thread.

I would laugh if I was hired by Firaxis to try the scenario on deity, then succeeded.

I know right. So has anyone actually won this scenario WITHOUT using the population bug?

Edit - I see a guy that just beat it and he got extremely lucky that someone up north kept Ethiopia down to a meager 5.6k, in 9 attempts I played he always got over 6.5 - 7.5k (and these are scenarios where I own all of south Africa and even send up contingents to harass them and ones where everyone is attacking them).

Pretty horrible design that it's just a random crap shoot that you don't even know the results of until turn 75+.

I know right. So has anyone actually won this scenario WITHOUT using the population bug?

Edit - I see a guy that just beat it and he got extremely lucky that someone up north kept Ethiopia down to a meager 5.6k, in 9 attempts I played he always got over 6.5 - 7.5k (and these are scenarios where I own all of south Africa and even send up contingents to harass them and ones where everyone is attacking them).

Pretty horrible design that it's just a random crap shoot that you don't even know the results of until turn 75+.

How do you ever deal with Portugal?

Ok this is getting absurd,first after like billions of attempts i finally get capetown.First what happen,portugal declare war exactly 3 turns after it.But then i remembered trick where if you declare war to 2 random civs(possibly enough even just one)then you postpone dow from anyone.But the problem is,after i got capetown,it was taken back very fast,and like that was not enough,all my units was suddenly killed,even both cities taken,suddenly it spawned tons of unites from nowhere.But hey atleast i found ethiopia with worker lol. But sugar on end is cant use portugal to do dow on etipioa as they didnt met it yet :lol: Anyway,to fix capetown problem,should i get rid of ship of lines first?There is like 6 of them.Or maybe i should move to german city first,or even english city which was made right above pretoria where i missed to kill settler.

I played this on map which was uploaded on other thread,and seems strategy of get in war with germany/england,bribe portugal to get in war with zulu works,but still doesn't mean how i will finish it.

If you knew the results before turn 75, then why would the scenario need to be longer?

So yeah, the scenario has a time limit and you might not know if you've won til near that time limit. Shocker, that actually sounds like something good! :lol:

And I'm guessing that you haven't been around here long if you think that no one tested this scenario out on Deity. :rolleyes:

If you knew the results before turn 75, then why would the scenario need to be longer?

So yeah, the scenario has a time limit and you might not know if you've won til near that time limit. Shocker, that actually sounds like something good! :lol:

And I'm guessing that you haven't been around here long if you think that no one tested this scenario out on Deity. :rolleyes:

While you're in the thread, do you have any advice for a general strategy as the Boers?

Top Bottom