How will FIRAXIS immunize PtW graphics from being added to normal Civ3?

Nahuixtelotzin

Huey Tlatoani
Just this simple question. When PTW is out, one can simply send the unitswhich are then used as "additional units" for Civ3. I'm sure they thought about this and won't let it happen - what do you think?

I'm sure Infogrames lawyers will deal with any website that posts that kind of stuff. BTW, they look here daily.

By the way, discussing techniques to bypass copyright on an American server is a violation of the DMCA and can and probably would get this site shut down permanently. Don't do it.

They won't.

If they make such an aggressive stance towards units, it will discourage future modders as well as unit creators. That is virtually fan base suicide as well as sending an incredibly negative message to modders.

They will most likely let it slip past.

I am not certain about this, but it would seem impossible to issue software and restrict owners of the license posting these- at least those that are non-franchised. Even franchised units have been posted at request in the past- this of course meant that people own some version of Civ3 already, and have overwritten their original units or sth like that.

Lets not forget that the PTW update contains more than mere units. New features, multiplayer, a patch, tools, editors, best of the net- all of these targeted at gaining new customers and keeping past ones interested in the franchise.... while there may be a problem in offering the entire units collection, I expect new units to make their way into forums and so on "drip-by-drip"

....hmmm....this thread has raised some interesting questions.

Suppose someone who has bought the PTW disk wanted to make a "Caesar's Conquest of Gaul" scenario, or a "Spanish Conquest of Mexico" scenario. Quite naturally, they would use the new Celtic Warrior and the Conquistador units from PTW as part of their project.
But would they be allowed to post the finished article here at CivFanatics? :confused:

(Of course, one solution would be to make use of some other original Civ3 units, such as the Warrior & Cavalryman, and place a message in the scenario readme.txt saying "If you have PTW, then copy the unit graphics for the Celtic Warrior/Conquistador into xxxx folder".
Inconvenient, but possible.)

And suppose I took the PTW Celtic Warrior or Viking Beserker, changed the existing weapon for a javelin, added a long hexagonal shield, plus a cloak, and called it a "Visigothic Warrior".
Would I be allowed to post the finished animation in the Units Forum, even though it was originally based on a figure from PTW? :confused:

Kryten,...

You'd think we'd have gotten a message or two from AoE or AoK
then. Granted, their people may not check out this forum, but it's
a possiblity.

It basically comes down to copyright... are the units individually
copyrighted? I dunno... and if they are, does it matter?

I highly doubt this will be a problem, unless of course someone
copy and pasts *all* of the CTP units.

It may be similier to how they arranged it with fantastic worlds. Since certien parts of the game require extra .dll files or otehrwise one may not be able to transfer over PTW files or mods into the normal CivIII game. I imagine that it would boil down to a simple line of code in the unit files or extra file altogether that would be for identification/verification purposes of version. Of course this is just speculation, but if they did make them un-transferable, this is how I would do it.

Well, the first poster was suggesting posting all the new PTW units so that people could get them for free. That is copyright infringement where I come from.

god_money, each unit is copyrighted. In fact every file on the disk is copyrighted.

hehe... I also just found out from one of TVA's posts in another
thread that the AoE people _did_ complain about the conversion
of their units.

Interesting... Still, I dunno... hopefully the Civ people will have
a readme file on things modders can and cannot do.

Nah- with so much modification around and comming i doubt that will be sth they'd do- that would split civfanatics around the globe into "Civ3 1.29fs" and "PTWs" and endanger the fan comunity- files need to be interchangeable...

You must not have read your EULA closely. It clearly says that Infogrames owns Civ3 and is letting you play it.

In fact, it says that legally they own all mods that anyone makes for Civ3. Including and especially the Best of the Web.

Yes, and if we dont buy the Game and don't make any mods- they don't own anything at all :D- so what would the point be in making things difficult for unit makers (civ2 FW also had all the units on the web)

- besides I am not working for Firaxis or related companies- so they do not OWN what I produce. This is against the Human Rights Chapter of the European Union (where I come from)- the same dodgy licensing issue made the EU sue Microsoft... and they are busy bleeding ;) (BTW I used to work for them so don't believe the papers- they are bleeeeeding)

Well, I'm not familiar with EU laws, but the US laws which definitely apply to this server, can have it shut down if it breaks US law, which hosting copyrighted material against the owners wishes would be.

Originally posted by warpstorm
Well, the first poster was suggesting posting all the new PTW units so that people could get them for free. That is copyright infringement where I come from.

warpstorm: I was not suggesting anything, I just wondered. Where's the famous freedom of speach/expression :rolleyes:
And, as it seems, not only I have thought about this, as the replies here show.

You were free to express it, just as I'm free to point out the legalities if someone were to actually do it.

Very true :)

I think that Firaxis & Co. will surely not like to see the entire units library being displayed on site. On the other hand there is virtually no manner to impede people from getting these units. Therefore I'd hope for some sort of controled environment for such things :D, perhaps even by firaxis itself some time.

Like everyone else, I have no wish to be caught up in copyright issues, or to cause any legal difficulties for CivFanatics.

Nonetheless, my two fundamental questions are still:-
1) will we be allowed to post scenarios/mods that contain PTW units?
2) will we be allowed to post conversions of the PTW units?

If the answer to these two questions is "Yes"....then no problems.
If the answer to these two questions is "No".....then this is yet another limitation that animators, scenario creators and mod makers should be made aware of (hopefully before they spend months working their new project. :crazyeye: ).

Firaxis asked us not to allow posting of Civ3 manual, so posting units from the PTW CD to the forum is (very) likely a nono.

I should note that with the scenario management system in PTW, scenarios that use PTW units don't need to directly include the PTW units in the zip at all (I think). You just need to add the directory containing the PTW unit your scenario uses in the "folders to search" field.

Top Bottom